AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any harm in connecting the headphone out jack of various devices into the stereo analog input on a receiver?

I am assuming that the stereo analog input is expecting a line level signal but the source device probably adds some slight amplification to the headphone out jack. Is this accurate, and if so, is this extra amplification enough to do any damage?

I sometimes plug an mp3 player or my laptop into my receiver through this method since they only have a head phone out jack and not a line level out jack. It works fine, but I recently heard someone say that it could cause problems with the receiver in the future.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeySandwich /forum/post/15497069

... I recently heard someone say that it could cause problems with the receiver in the future.

They have no idea what they're talking about.

However, I would suggest keeping the volume setting of the device around 3/4 level. That way it should not be into clipping, but still give you a strong enough signal.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
I'll only say that there are some people who would say that there can be issues. What comes out of a headphone jack is not a line-level signal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts