AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 300 cd changer in my system that is enormous. We also have many pics floating around on various PCs and disks. I thought I'd put together a basic media server type PC to bring it all together and hook it up to my HT. SO what do I REALLY need? I have some old PCs lying around in different states of functionality. Currently have a 2.8 P4 775 Socket processor on a shorted mobo. Also a 160GB SATA drive. I plan to connect video directly to my TV via VGA or DVI (which is better?). Audio via digital coax or optical to AV Rcvr.

DO I need a high end video card?

How much space does 300 CDs need?

How fast of a processor?

Ram?

Audio?

Software? Media Center? Something else?

Remote Control? I have a Harmony 880, can it be used with something?

Remote loading via Wifi

My thought was to get a barebones shuttle because of its size. I want to keep the unit small and unobtrusive, sitting behind my TV on top of an AV bench piece of furniture.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With regards to CD's, what kind of quality in the sound are you looking for? If you are happy with MP3 quality, file sizes can vary, but a rule of thumb is that at 128k stereo, it is about a megabyte per minute. If you keep the CD audio as the original PCM audio (WAVE or AIFF at 44.1khz 16 bit) the files are about 10 megabytes a minute. Photos also can vary depending on the source (hi-res scanner, 8 megapixel camera, 1 megapixel camera, internet) Depending on what you choose, your 160gb will be fine for all mp3 audio, but I would step up the drive size to 500gb if you want to use PCM audio and leave room for expansion.

Processor speed really will not matter that much for just sound and photos (1ghz will be plenty) but try to get the best you can afford. I would stay with around 1gb of RAM to make windows happy, but you can get away with 512.

Hope that helps a bit

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.