AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to AVS members to give me a hope that i can build average looking media room by myself. I have few questions, sorry lot of questions. please clarify me..attaching the picture of initial design..

Room Size: 13'8" X 18' and 14'8" X 18' at the extended location.

See the pictures, items in the picture so far

1. 106" Screen embedded in the big black covered area

2. Center speaker and 2 Front speakers are already located inside that big black covered area

3. 8" dia Column - I need to figr out a way to build it cheap by myself

4. Home theatre 3 seater arrangement

List of future equipments:

onkyo 906, Aperion or Axiom speakers, panny 3000 projector, ps3, upconvert dvd, laptop, hard drives" Total: 5 + hard drives.

Questions:

1. If you see the picture 3, Which is the best location for component racks

A or B or C...best best location i needed from these...

2. I hate the location C, I dont know what else i can do in the location, except big poster or inbuilt racks, tell me what i can do if component racks are not going there.

3. Best Speaker cable at cheap price : 12 gauge / oxygen free from Mono price???

I need to decide the component rack location in order to run the speaker cable behind the drywall before house completion.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
1. C

2. C... or some sort of built-in

3. Yes, monoprice is a great option for affordable, good quality cables.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
There's no difference between locations A&B, so it really comes down to whether or not you want to see your equipment.

Many members here put their equipment behind them or in another room altogether so that they don't see it (particularly the lights). I have my equipment rack in a location almost exactly like C in your case and I love it there. The lights aren't distracting and I enjoy having the ability to just glance over and see what volume level a movie is at, what sound mode is being used, how much time is left in the movie, etc.

So, it comes down to preference. If it were me, I'd go with location C.

If you don't do that, that niche is just about a perfect location to put DVD storage. Just build some shelving to span the space.

monoprice.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...I wish to keep it behind the seating. But after I simulated the rack 18" depth , its taking my walking space around the seating. Initially I felt position A is better in order to run the speaker cable before home construction over. I dont think it will make any difference between location A or C for speaker wire. Infact I will save feets for C.

Now my problem comes, how to cover that niche area which is about 6'-7' and 9' height and ONLY 14" on depth. Most of the components are atleast 18" in depth. I need to check every thread of AVS to find out the perfect design for that niche area.

So far I am leaning towards C location, but component rack design is going to be challenging. I am sure I can find it through avs members...

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Yes, I thought it looked a bit shallow in that niche.

Keep in mind that due to connections and air space and stuff, you'll probably want closer to 24" of depth, so the equipment rack will probably stick out about 10".

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/15526414

Yes, I thought it looked a bit shallow in that niche.

Keep in mind that due to connections and air space and stuff, you'll probably want closer to 24" of depth, so the equipment rack will probably stick out about 10".

Yeah...its going to surely stickout about 15" after wire pulling and rack arrangement...

I think i will better off with Position A, which is close to window, I can put some exhaust fan on the side somewhere ( i need to study about it for later project).

What do you think with Position A with this ""kind"" of rack http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6528886

I dont like the finish of the rack, but I will build or buy one in that size range and put it at position A..

I am out of town for work,,,i will rework on the design to submit to you all.

I have another question?

My house construction will be over in 2 months; just before putting the dry wall, i want to run the speaker wires ; Can anyone please give me sample images how to run wires, i cant find it specifically in forum..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts