AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1080p 42" TV just broke and I'm looking to finally get a projector after seeing how amazing they are, but I'm a little confused about how exactly you go about setting one up... I'm looking to get a cheap $500-700 720p 120hz projector that I can use for television, movies, and gaming. I'd also like to use the device for 3D when possible, just for fun. I see that on the back of most projectors there is only 1 slot for each type of component cable... How do you hook up multiple devices with multiple hdmi and component cables?


Also, I'm confused about how exactly you get 3D to work with the projector. I have a computer with 2x9800GT nVidia 3D ready graphics cards and a PlayStation 3. All I would need to do to get 3D is hook up the computer or PS3, turn on the 3D settings, and put on the glasses? Would any 3D glasses work or do you have to buy special 3D glasses? I see that nVidia has some sort of special shutter glasses...


And lastly, I would be placing the device about 15 feet away from the wall it displays on. Is that an okay distance? The wall is flat, but with a very light cream color and slight texture bumps. How much would the slight variations in texture on the wall and cream color affect the picture?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
JoeGrizzly;19526776]My 1080p 42" TV just broke and I'm looking to finally get a projector after seeing how amazing they are, but I'm a little confused about how exactly you go about setting one up... I'm looking to get a cheap $500-700 720p 120hz projector that I can use for television, movies, and gaming. I'd also like to use the device for 3D when possible, just for fun. I see that on the back of most projectors there is only 1 slot for each type of component cable... How do you hook up multiple devices with multiple hdmi and component cables?


-You would have to run them through an A/V receiver and HDMI out to projector or buy a HDMI switch


Also, I'm confused about how exactly you get 3D to work with the projector. I have a computer with 2x9800GT nVidia 3D ready graphics cards and a PlayStation 3. All I would need to do to get 3D is hook up the computer or PS3, turn on the 3D settings, and put on the glasses? Would any 3D glasses work or do you have to buy special 3D glasses? I see that nVidia has some sort of special shutter glasses...


-PS3 will not work with ANY projectors right now. You will need the optoma 3D-XL Adapter which will allow the PS3 and any other 3D devices to work. This should be released Jan 2011 for around $400

Otherwise, yes your 3D video card should work and with whatever glasses are recommended/supported by your card


And lastly, I would be placing the device about 15 feet away from the wall it displays on. Is that an okay distance? The wall is flat, but with a very light cream color and slight texture bumps. How much would the slight variations in texture on the wall and cream color affect the picture?


-You can have the projector 2 feet away LOL, it just depends on the projector (throw distance) and how big/small you want the image (read throw distance of your projector of choice) Cream colour will definitely affect the colour performance of the image and the textures won't help either
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but damn, without the $499.99 3D-XL it can't do games or blu-ray movies in 3D on the PS3, that's a huge let down
Almost makes me want to just buy a 1080p non-3D projector since the 720p ones won't be 3D for me until I drop another $499...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGrizzly /forum/post/19532526


Thanks, but damn, without the $499.99 3D-XL it can't do games or blu-ray movies in 3D on the PS3, that's a huge let down
Almost makes me want to just buy a 1080p non-3D projector since the 720p ones won't be 3D for me until I drop another $499...

Depends on where you're sitting and how big your screen is if you want to get 1080p or 720p - not to mention just about every station that prodcasts "HD" on my Comcast convert box comes up as 720p anyways.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how long after they release the 3d-xl do you think they will start including the converter in the actual projectors themselves? probably include the technology within the projectors 6 months after the release of the 3d-xl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGrizzly /forum/post/19534570


how long after they release the 3d-xl do you think they will start including the converter in the actual projectors themselves? probably include the technology within the projectors 6 months after the release of the 3d-xl

That's the running theory from what I've gathered here, although who knows, they may try to milk it for a full year or until competitors start offering it integrated. It doesn't seem like projectors follow the same impetus to compete technologically with each other like in the realm of PCs and LCDs...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark /forum/post/19527067


JoeGrizzly;19526776]My 1080p 42" TV just broke and I'm looking to finally get a projector after seeing how amazing they are, but I'm a little confused about how exactly you go about setting one up... I'm looking to get a cheap $500-700 720p 120hz projector that I can use for television, movies, and gaming. I'd also like to use the device for 3D when possible, just for fun. I see that on the back of most projectors there is only 1 slot for each type of component cable... How do you hook up multiple devices with multiple hdmi and component cables?


-You would have to run them through an A/V receiver and HDMI out to projector or buy a HDMI switch


Also, I'm confused about how exactly you get 3D to work with the projector. I have a computer with 2x9800GT nVidia 3D ready graphics cards and a PlayStation 3. All I would need to do to get 3D is hook up the computer or PS3, turn on the 3D settings, and put on the glasses? Would any 3D glasses work or do you have to buy special 3D glasses? I see that nVidia has some sort of special shutter glasses...


-PS3 will not work with ANY projectors right now. You will need the optoma 3D-XL Adapter which will allow the PS3 and any other 3D devices to work. This should be released Jan 2011 for around $400

Otherwise, yes your 3D video card should work and with whatever glasses are recommended/supported by your card


And lastly, I would be placing the device about 15 feet away from the wall it displays on. Is that an okay distance? The wall is flat, but with a very light cream color and slight texture bumps. How much would the slight variations in texture on the wall and cream color affect the picture?


-You can have the projector 2 feet away LOL, it just depends on the projector (throw distance) and how big/small you want the image (read throw distance of your projector of choice) Cream colour will definitely affect the colour performance of the image and the textures won't help either

What do you mean PS3s don't work with ANY projectors right now? My friend has a high-end projector and PS3 that he plays FIFA on... not sure of the exact model but pretty sure it's an Optoma. There's also tons of YouTube videos of people showing off their projectors with their PS3. You mean just the 3D won't work until the adapter is released by Optoma and connected?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGrizzly /forum/post/19547162


What do you mean PS3s don't work with ANY projectors right now? My friend has a high-end projector and PS3 that he plays FIFA on... not sure of the exact model but pretty sure it's an Optoma. There's also tons of YouTube videos of people showing off their projectors with their PS3. You mean just the 3D won't work until the adapter is released by Optoma and connected?

JUST THE 3D


The poster was asking about 3D
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top