AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, just ordered an Olevia 323v for a small bedroom. It's a 23" HDTV, but apparently without any tuner inside, they're calling it 'HD-Ready'. I guess its more of an HD Monitor than an HD TV.

I have RCN digital cable and it seems RCN sends both Analog and Digital channels over the coaxial cable. The auto channel scan from another HDTV with a built-in NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner shows about 160 Digital channels and 90 Analog channels.

Does any STB I buy have to be compatible with my Cableco? I don't need it to be addressable for PPV or premium channels like HBO etc. I just want it to show the regular cable channels like Discovery Channel, Food Network, Golf Channel, etc. An old 26" CRT TV was able to pick up all those channels with it's own tuner, it must've had just an Analog NTSC tuner.

So I was wondering what a recommended Set Top Box might be to act as an NTSC tuner for an Analog-Digital cable system? Just looking for the most basic low cost tuner box, to use as an external tuner for this HD Monitor that has no tuner built-in.

Any help would be really great, Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I do have an STB from RCN for the living room but I'm not sure I'm staying with RCN for much longer. I'd like to find a permanent external tuner for this monitor that's lacking one.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If you go with another cable company or satellite, you'll probably have to use one of their boxes for a tuner. Or a TiVo/Cableco cablecard setup. Or an over-the-air antenna/tuner. I'm not sure if there is an external QAM tuner solution, and anything encrypted is going to need something from the Cableco anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts