AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm moving into a new house in a few weeks and the current owner has an antenna in the attic that was used to recieve FM radio.

1) Can I make use of this antenna to pick up OTA HDTV signals even though it's "in" in the attic, as opposed to on the roof?

2) Is there an STB that I can use to just pick up OTA signals? I've already got DirecTV (and a DirecTivo that I love!) so I'm not that interested in buying an entirely new DirecTV receiver right now (Sorry, hockey on HDNet is not enough to get me juiced).

I'm eager to get started with HDTV so any help would be appreciated!

Steve

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Theres a couple OTA only units. Samsung has one for example. But basically they cost about the same as tuners with DirecTv built in regardless, so why not just get one of those and get HDNet in the bargain, since you dont have to pay anything extra for that channel anyways?

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
258 Posts
If he just used it for FM radio, it might be an FM only antenna, and thus not of much use to you. You need to find out if it is VHF/UHF, before you start down the slippery slope.

·
Registered
734 Posts
1. I'm pretty sure that FM signals are a different frequency than UHF TV signals. If it's a combination VHF/UHF/FM antenna, you may be able to use it. A good new UHF antenna (CM 3021 for example) is only about $40, so you're not looking at a huge investment if the old one doesn't work. The important thing is the cable is already there!

I have my CM 3021 in my attic and I can pick up signal from LA in San Diego. Do a search for my username for pics of my installation.

2. I also have a DirecTiVo and the HD receiver gives you the flexibility of watching something else while the TiVo is recording. This is less of an issue when you get 2.5 though. CBS and ABC will both have nearly all of their programming in HD this fall, so I'm only going to watch the TiVo if I miss something.\\

One thing to consider: if the previous owner had to use an antenna in his attic for FM signals, you may be in an area where OTA UHF signals may be very hard if not impossible to get. You might want to ask the owner if he knows of anyone else in the neighborhood using an OTA antenna for HDTV.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.01

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I'm using a combo UHF/VHF/FM 121" antenna in my attic. I am about 40 miles from the towers and get very good OTA signal strength (Dish 6000 w/8vsb mod). I am in a 2 story duplex and my antenna "looks" right at the firewall between the 2 units with the signals coming from the other side of the firewall.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chummel:
TomF what kind of signal strength do you get from LA?
This can vary by the station, time of day and atmospheric conditions, but currently (7:25 PM PDT) "Africa" is on KCET (PBS) with a signal strength of 91. I checked KNBC and I got a 71.

I was watching "Evolution" on KCET earlier and had occasional periods where I lost the picture. I found a new setting for the rotator that worked a little better.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
729 Posts
FM is sandwiched between Channel 6 and Channel 7, it is VFH and FM antennas are typically omni directional you need a directional antenna.

Go to www.gemimi-usa.com to look for the HDTV antennas I designed for them. They are made right here in the USA. The antennas are all small with great front to back ratio and excellent multi path rejection.

------------------

Jim Burns
www.dtvconsultants.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.