AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has asked me for suggestions on how to prewire his new house. He has 6-7 tv locations and wants all media boxes in a central closet. The only sources he will have will be DirectTV sat. boxes for each location and possibly one or two blu-ray players. I'm currently thinking 2) RG6 and 4) cat6 drops at each location, using the cat 6 for hdmi over cat 6 using the Monoprice 8008 or 8201 baluns with ir. The longest run would be 45-55'.

He also would like 8 speakers on his patio, would a basic receiver power these? He doesn't need independent volume control or anything special, just basic background music.

Please critique my plan and offer any suggestions you may have for this situation. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I think you're asking for a lot of trouble. You'll be on the hook to get all those cables trimmed out, you'll be responsible for a more expensive solution if the HDMI extenders don't work, and you'll need to figure out remote control of 2 identical satellite boxes. And, not sure if he'll want Blu-ray players in a closet.

Search AVS for HDMI + problem.

If it was your house, you take the risk of troubles, and not a huge issue.

How much of the work does your friend want to do? Will he be the one troubleshooting HDMI handshake issues? Let him pick out the extenders.

Maybe you can help him prewire, to allow for future centralization of the source components. Distributing HDMI would be my biggest concern.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/20801320

I think you're asking for a lot of trouble. You'll be on the hook to get all those cables trimmed out, you'll be responsible for a more expensive solution if the HDMI extenders don't work, and you'll need to figure out remote control of 2 identical satellite boxes. And, not sure if he'll want Blu-ray players in a closet.

Search AVS for HDMI + problem.

If it was your house, you take the risk of troubles, and not a huge issue.

How much of the work does your friend want to do? Will he be the one troubleshooting HDMI handshake issues? Let him pick out the extenders.

Maybe you can help him prewire, to allow for future centralization of the source components. Distributing HDMI would be my biggest concern.

Yes, I have thought about that, but to be honest he doesn't have a clue when it comes to anything audio/video related. Will ir extenders not work if you have one for each sat box?

On the handshake and extender issues, I figured if nothing else worked I could always use one coax for the audio/video feed. I know it would not be hd signal, but he would at least have a picture. Should I run three coax runs to each tv and use component instead of hdmi? Also, what do I do about the audio feed then?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I guess we all wondering what's your take in this "project." Why do u want to spend time and hassle and your "friend" getting mad at u because certain things not done to his liking. Am sure, if you are even a semi-pro, done this b4r, help him, u would know how deep to get involved. But when he hits a problem, you gonna tell him, let me check with the people at avsforum?

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor /forum/post/20802290

Be honest and tell your friend to hire a pro.

Or be honest and tell him you're not a pro...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy /forum/post/20805183

Or be honest and tell him you're not a pro...

I have told him repeatedly, but he insists I help him.

To clarify my original post...

He has 6 tvs and 6 directv sat boxes, all he wants to do is put the sat receivers in one closet. No need for switching between receivers, tvs, etc, each tv would have it's own receiver. Would the monoprice 8008 hdmi extenders not work for this situation? I understand you would have to have one set for each tv.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts