AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so im new to this and ive done a little research but i cant seem to find an answer to this question and i dont wanna start buying cables till i know for sure. I recently bought a home theater in a box and it only has 1 digital optical input, my question is can i run all my devices via HDMI to my tv and then hook my tv to my reciever via digital optical or will that not work?

·
Registered
21,954 Posts
It will not work for DD5.1/DTS passthrough. The best you may get is PCM stereo. Everything for audio should be routed directly to the A/V receiver.

With only one "digital" input on the receiver, your only option would an external switch.... or a different receiver to accomodate your audio requirements.

·
Registered
16,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edthepimp /forum/post/14251534

OK so im new to this and ive done a little research but i cant seem to find an answer to this question and i dont wanna start buying cables till i know for sure. I recently bought a home theater in a box and it only has 1 digital optical input, my question is can i run all my devices via HDMI to my tv and then hook my tv to my reciever via digital optical or will that not work?

What TV? As Ratman said, most will not pass-through 5.1 audio, but instead will only pass-through a 2-channel downmix. But there are a few TVs which will pass-through 5.1 audio properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14252642

What TV? As Ratman said, most will not pass-through 5.1 audio, but instead will only pass-through a 2-channel downmix. But there are a few TVs which will pass-through 5.1 audio properly.

its an LG 42" 720p Plasma TV 42PG20

·
Registered
16,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edthepimp /forum/post/14252802

its an LG 42" 720p Plasma TV 42PG20

I don't think LG is one of the brands that will pass-through 5.1 audio. You can check this pretty easily. If your receiver indicates that it is applying DD5.1 or DTS5.1 to that which is entering it, then the TV is passing through 5.1 properly. Otherwise, it isn't.

·
Registered
16,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edthepimp /forum/post/14253070

thanks guys... i was afraid id have to buy a switch ... oh well more cables i guess

How many input devices do you have?

HERE is an inexpensive manual optical switch that will accommodate 3 input devices. If you have more devices I suppose you could daisy-chain a couple of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts