AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you use a DVI connection from a DVD player into your DVI connection on an HDTV, does the signal ever get converted from Digital(on DVD) to analog at all? Is the actual HDTV picture a digital one on a DVI HDTV?

How about DVD players which line double/upconvert to 1080i through DVI outputs? Is digital to analog to digital conversion done during this process?

Thanks for the education on this issue.

·
Registered
573 Posts
merc

The DVI port is digital. The component port can transmit hi-definition (HD = 1080i and 720p) but is analog. The DVD stores information digitally.

If you have a HDTV like a Sony 34xbr800 capable of 1080i with a HDCP compatible DVI port and then have a DVD player like the Bravo D1 (or in the future the Samsung DVD HD-931) that transmits HD via the DVI port then the connection is all digital (no digital to analog conversion necessary). If all else is equal this would minimize the noise introduced into the signal.

If you have a DVD player like the Samsung DVD HD-1000 that transmits an upscaled HD signal via component port, then the signal must be converted from digital (DVD) to analog (component port) so it can go to your HDTV and be reconverted from analog to digital to show on the display in HD. Digital Analog conversions introduce some noise.

This is not comprehensive but I hope it helps explain the concept. :)

Rick

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick: So are you saying that all HDTV res images are shown on my rear projection HDTV as a digital image? Does that mean that the ATSC 1080i signal is converted in my HDTV STBs from digital to analog and then passed via the component outputs to my HDTV where the analog signal is converted back to digital for showing on my RPTV?

Are you sure that all HDTVs convert inputted 1080i analog video back to digital before sending it to the guns?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merc
Rick: So are you saying that all HDTV res images are shown on my rear projection HDTV as a digital image?
Well, kinda, see my answer abou the 1080i analog video below.

Quote:
Does that mean that the ATSC 1080i signal is converted in my HDTV STBs from digital to analog and then passed via the component outputs to my HDTV where the analog signal is converted back to digital for showing on my RPTV?
Correct

Quote:
Are you sure that all HDTVs convert inputted 1080i analog video back to digital before sending it to the guns?
If it is a CRT then it does not necassarily need to, but it very well might. If the picture and color controls are done in the digital domain then the analog input is converted to digital, picture corrections are done, and the digital corrected signal is converted back to analog then to the guns.

If you are using a CRT then you are never truly getting a digital picture. There is quality loss in the D/A process of a digital input signal.

If you have and LCD you are closer to a digital signal, but not all the way there. The LCD chips have a digital input but they have to convert the signal to analog before driving the individual crystals.

Only DLP is a truly digital display. The digital signal at the chip is never converted to analog. So a properly designed DLP set will display a digital signal which has not lost detail via an A/D or D/A conversion.

-phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.