Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very basic question from a newbie...

I have a Pioneer VSX-D509S receiver with bare wire speaker outputs. I'm currently using entry-level speakers, which came with a Dolby Prologic HTIB set I purchased 5 years ago. My speakers have spring clips to connect the bare wire.

I want to upgrade my speakers so the question is this:

Do I need to buy speakers with spring clips to connect the wires? Or, can I buy special wires that are bare on one end (to connect to the reciever) and have plugs or some other connector on the other end (to connect to the speakers)? Anything else to consider?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
My recommendation is go down to Home Depot and pick up a spool of speaker wire, then head down radio shack and get some banana connectors.

Check to see if the banana connectors will fit in the outputs of your reciever, if they do put banana clips on both ends, if not just on the speaker ends.

Cut wire to length, attache connectors and you're go to go. There are usually two types of connectors, ones you have to solder on (prefered) or ones that twist on and clamp the wire.

- Rick

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
That receiver won't take Bannana plugs. Yep, a spool fo 16 GA speaker wire is the way to go in most cases. Buy whatever speakers you like - they will hook up fine. Bannana plugs are nice, but not needed. Cheap speakers will have spring clips, higher end binding posts you can either use bannana plugs in or wrap the wire around and tighten the post down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.