AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...my ignorance of ReplayTV systems is going to show, but I see a lot of knowledgable, well-spoken individuals here and I know I won't find that at any retail store. Right?

I'm seeing that I can save a few bucks by purchasing a new or slightly used machine from ebay or any auction site. Since ReplayTV has no subscription, does that mean that just by the mere fact that I own a box, I can hook up to their servers for upgrades, show info, etc.?

I also see that doing your own upgrade of hard drive is pretty easy, so should I hunt out the cheapest smallest drive model out there, and then just plan on upgrading it if I wished that I had more recording space? Or are there differences besides recording space between these different models?

Any other tips or suggestions anybody wants to throw my way would be great. Thank you in advance.

-Erik

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can get the cheapest ReplayTV model HS1000 and easily upgrade to say 100hours (with a 100gb Western Digital drive or equivalent). I bought an HS2000 and replaced the drive myself. It is quite easy as you can read on this forum.

I'm not sure, but I believe the only difference between the models HS1000, HS2000, HS3000 is the recording space. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes you can simply connect to the service for your downloads. This is free (as long as they stay in business).

Your problem will be actually finding the units for sale. I think I bought one of the last ones in the LA area as my 2nd unit.

good luck

greg

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You are correct sir on all counts. You must have been paying attention. Any model will upgrade with the same result. I own a showstopper (Panasonic) which is fine but I would have liked to transfer DVD movies into the unit but alas had to buy a Replay to do that due to Panasonics macrovision block into the unit . Replay blocks macrovision out of the unit as in blocking the transferring of a DVD recording sent to a VCR for example.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.