AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering whether anyone has thoughts on which of the following would be the better setup (or if there really isn't a benefit to one over the other):

1. DirecTV STB via HDMI to new Samsung TV (F8000 model) and DirecTV digital sound from the DTV STB to my Denon 2309 A/V Receiver (the DTV STB only has digital coax), or

2. DTV STB via HDMI to my A/V Receiver and A/V Receiver to Samsung via HDMI.

My primary reason for option 1 is, since the Denon is an older receiver and isn't HDMI 1.4 capable, I'm not sure whether the Denon can pass through full HD 1080p 3D etc, and I also want to avoid any picture degradation (although I don't think that's an issue with a digital picture?). I'm not worried at all about the number of cables running from the Samsung since they are all easily hidden. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Running the satellite box's HDMI through the receiver often eliminates some lip-sync problems, since both audio and video follow the same route.

However, another reason for connecting the satellite box's HDMI output to the TV is that people frequently report HDMI problems when the satellite box is connected by HDMI to a receiver. Apparently many satellite and cable boxes have problems when connected to the type of HDMI repeater used in receivers. Problems also have been reported with systems that used to work but had the HDMI start glitching after the satellite or cable box's firmware was automatically updated.

Is the equipment close enough together that you could try both options?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
My Denon 3310 was able to pass 3D from my comcast cable box without having HDMI 1.4 but that's because Comcast doesn't have Full HD 3D. Direct TV has 1080P but since you are splitting it for each eye its not really full HD 3D like what's on a bluray. Now if its a bluray player you would have to go straight to the TV for that. I think you can go thought the receiver for Direct TV and still get 3D.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023  /t/1469898/basic-setup-question#post_23245406

My Denon 3310 was able to pass 3D from my comcast cable box without having HDMI 1.4 but that's because Comcast doesn't have Full HD 3D. Direct TV has 1080P but since you are splitting it for each eye its not really full HD 3D like what's on a bluray. Now if its a bluray player you would have to go straight to the TV for that. I think you can go thought the receiver for Direct TV and still get 3D.
Thanks. I ended up going with both straight to the TV. I can fix all lip sync issues by adding a delay to the Denon. Also, with my prior TV, I ran my DTV Genie through the Denon and still had some lip sync issues, but that varied depending on the channel. At the end of the day, I couldn't think of a downside to go direct to the TV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts