AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older receiver that doesn't have HDMI inputs (Yamaha RX-V1000) on a basic cable tv setup. Is it supposed to work if I run component cables from the cable box to the receiver and then s-video from the receiver to the TV?

It only works when I'm running the same type cable from and to.

Also, the receiver doesn't have a coaxial input. Is it possible to convert the coaxial input from the cable source to component or s-video to feed into the receiver?

thanks

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Receivers generally only do passthrough, so Svid in to Svid out or component in to component out, etc.

There are some that do upconverting, but these would not take component and output Svid. You could input Svid and get maybe component or HDMI, it depends on what type of output it is designed to upconvert to.

As for coax (cable) to components or Svid - you'd have to use a cable box.

Peter

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
About The Video Jacks: see page 14
Quote:
* Each type of video jack works independently. Signals input through the composite video, S-video and component jacks are output throught the corresponding composite video, S-video, and component jacks, respectively.

The receiver does not have Tv Internal Tuner.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, thanks for the info. Then is there any reason why I should run the video through the receiver?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a similar setup. Best bet is to not run the video through the receiver. Either use component video or HDMI directly from your cable box, dvd play etc directly to your tv. Use your receiver to only switch the audio not video. If your TV has multiple inputs it will switch the video and the receiver will be used to switch the audio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts