AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 37a550, and I need basic speakers (basic -- I don't need or care about booming base, surround sound, or anything else. I just want to get back to the audio level of my old Panasonic 27" tube TV). We are not huge TV or movie watchers, so maximizing the audio experience just is not crucial, nor desirable for a number of reasons.

The Best Buy person told me that lower/raising the audio on my a550 will NOT change the audio going to external speakers. Is that correct? Is there any way to set that up, or do I have to get yet (another) remote or spend (yet more) on a universal remote?

Can I just get two RCA-jacked unpowered speakers and get something for audio? If not, can I get powered bookshelf speakers, or PC-based powered speakers, but control the audio from the TV if I use RCA or even the headphone-out jack?

Is there anyway to avoid a $500 speaker system with subwoofer, or 8" tall tuner/receiver?

Is a more expensive soundbar, w/out subwoofer, maybe a way to go?

I read some recommendations for a Logitech PC system, but a) it's mostly silver, and I need black to go w/the decor my wife has selected, and b) could I control the audio from the TV if I used a Logitech PC system?

I admit I'm feeling frustrated that no one makes either a) a TV that can control external audio levels or b) a simple, inexpensive audio solution for folks like me.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The audio line out on the A550 is just a line out, it's not powered and not controlled, it's meant for hooking up to an amplifier or receiver that power external speakers.

You do not need to spend $500 on speakers to get better sound for the TV, I'd suggest the Sony CT-100, it can be purchased at walmart for under $280,

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9447379

yes it has a subwoofer, but you can probably easily hide it somewhere, subwoofers arent directional so it doesnt matter where in the room it goes. I usually wouldn't recommend stuff like this as I'm pretty a pretty hardcore audiophool, but it's truely a bargain and so easy to setup, just 1 cable hooks it up, the subwoofer is the receiver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much for the pointer. What about controlling the audio? Is that Sony using some kind of analog dial, or is there a remote?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you still control the audio profile coming from the TV, even if you can't control the audio level? Basically, the equalizer mix?

·
Registered
476 Posts
The Sony has a remote, it's basically a 3.1 sound system, all in 2 pieces. I honestly like the design of having the receiver in the subwoofer. Clean look without having a huge receiver sitting somewhere.

The Sony sound system has it's own EQ and sound profiles and virtual surround stuff. You can still use the TV's speakers and use the TV's EQ for regular listening when you want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pointer. For that price, it's worth a try. I've read some reviews, and it seems mixed. Many "this is great" other "the sound quality is not up to it." I'll take a guess that those who love it are more like me -- looking for basic audio -- and the others are more discerning listeners.

I agree re: having the amp/receiver in the sub. Not sure why they don't do more of that. Our TV room is so far removed and never needs radio reception. To have to get a great big radio receiver just isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
even if you don't want to go that level, hooking up a pair of multimedia/computer speakers to the RCA Audio jack or even the headphone jack will render you some great results and will be leaps and bounds over the sound of the internal speakers.

You can get nice set of logitech or even a pair of Altec Lansings for between $20 and $40. I think it's a great option if you don't have the needs or wants for a surround sound system.

The Sony soundbar recommended is a great option, I'm waiting on mine to come in, backordered as a Christmas present, but I hooked a pair of multimedia speakers to my TV and it has worked out great, excellent sound. The Sony Sound bar is more of a toy for me and would still be happy if I had to stay with my current speakers.

I would give a pair of multimedia speakers a shot first, you might even have pair hooked up to your computer, if you don't want to spend the $300 for the Sony HTCT 100.

Seriously you would be amazed at how much better the sound is through a pair of these .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I'll try that. I looked at the big PC sound systems, but they were as expensive as the TV systems.

Correct me if I'm wrong -- I think the only challenge is you have to turn the audio on the PC speakers up/down manually, right? Still, it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
No you don't . What I have going on mine is, I have the speakers hooked up via RCA jack, have the volume level all the way up on the speakers, I have my audio setting on my TV set as this Speakers off, Audio out Variable, and the control for volulme comes from my remote to the tv.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/15433274

No you don't . What I have going on mine is, I have the speakers hooked up via RCA jack, have the volume level all the way up on the speakers, I have my audio setting on my TV set as this Speakers off, Audio out Variable, and the control for volulme comes from my remote to the tv.

This is exactly what I was looking for, but the Best Buy folks were telling me I couldn't do this. I'm going to try this out. Another question -- are you PC speakers powered (that is, plug into an outlet or use batteries)?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I don't know why Best Buy would tell you that, Either they were confused or just tyring to steer you into buying a home theater systems, I don't know. The guys at Circuit City told me about this option. I went in an told them straight out, I'm not looking for anything crazy, just want better sound than my TV's internal speakers, and they were like "Try this, it's a cheap great solution".

To answer your question yes, they are self powered and plugged in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip. I even asked the BB sales people (2 different sales people) and I asked three times in a row, saying "let me get this straight, there is no option where I plug in a speaker -- of any type, powered or unpowered -- and be able to control the audio through the remote.

This is great. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
no problem, let me know how you make out.

Just remember to set your Audio setting on your TV set to variable and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't seem to find the "variable" setting. Can you confirm which TV you are using? (unless they changed the firmware). I've got a Samsung 37a550.

If it is the same TV, can you walk me through the menu choices you used to get to variable output?

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts