AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
About question 3) as to where to place my speakers. I have a room that was going to have a perfect set up until I realized our sectional couch is going to be too long bringing the main listening position back about an extra foot and a half. Does having the side speakers forward of 90 degrees by say 3 inches going to affect listening? Unfortunately there is a light switch in the way and I will have to place the speaker forward a few inches since running audio and electrical in parallel is a bad idea so I can't place the speaker above the light switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, all. I have a set of Crystal Acoustics TX-T3 SE tower speakers and I'm in the market for a receiver that I can connect with these. One question is regarding the connection from the speaker to the receiver. I believe these speakers have binding posts (see attached pic). Do I need to purchase a receiver that also has binding posts or will spring clamps also work? I'm an audiophile newbie, so I apologize if I'm not clear in my question or haven't provided enough info. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Surround speaker height

I am looking for information on height placement of surround side & rear speakers? I would have though ear level or slightly higher but am reading 2 or 3 feet higher which seems very high to me. Any opinions? Also where do you find a speaker stand sturdy enough to hold speakers that are about 9 inch x 14 inch?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hi, all. I have a set of Crystal Acoustics TX-T3 SE tower speakers and I'm in the market for a receiver that I can connect with these. One question is regarding the connection from the speaker to the receiver. I believe these speakers have binding posts (see attached pic). Do I need to purchase a receiver that also has binding posts or will spring clamps also work? I'm an audiophile newbie, so I apologize if I'm not clear in my question or haven't provided enough info. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The type of connections on the speakers and the receiver don't matter. You simply need an electrical connection (speaker wire) between the two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Techno impaired newbie

First, my apologies if this thread is in the wrong forum. Please move, if so. Second, I am a techno impaired Boomer and it's possible my question is laughable. Apologies again.

When setting up my Yamaha receive and the YPAO, it always is for 5.1. I have a 7.1 speaker set up. In surround sound, how and when are those rear two speakers used. Do they come on "automatically" with a DVD playing? Am I missing something? When I have "7-channel stereo" I do get sound from those rear speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The type of connections on the speakers and the receiver don't matter. You simply need an electrical connection (speaker wire) between the two.
In connection with my previous question regarding the Crystal Acoustics tower speakers, can anyone recommend a good receiver that would work well with these? I've been reading that some receivers may not have the wattage to handle these speakers. The speakers can handle up to 400 RMS watts (Input Power). Should I be looking at a receiver that has an output of at least 200? Or does it really matter? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!
If some people would shower me in all their opinions and experience I would be very grateful. This is the first Surround sound that I will be purchasing and setting up however, I already know how to as a beginner. I do not know about placement or bi-wiring etc.. I am stuck on #1:

1) I need help with picking out an HT or stereo setup. What kind of information should I provide?

When creating a new thread in the Speaker forum for help with recommendations for an audio setup, be sure to include

1) I would love to stay under 5,000 USD. I would even be happy spending around 1,000 USD, but that may not be possible for me.

2) Primarily I will be gaming and watching movies. Listening to music is 3rd for our household.

3) We have a 5.1 Samsung H.T.I.B. that costs around 1,300 USD but is from 2013, and it has these wireless rear speakers that ruins any 5g wireless you have. HT-H7730WM

4) The size of your room.: My living room is in the middle of our house and is 10 feet by 15 feet with a 8-9 foot ceiling.

5) Any placement restrictions: We have a door attached in one corner outside the 15 by 10 seating area. There is like a mini foyer entering the room. There is a sliding glass door on the other end on the 10 foot long wall with an addition room on the other side. That room is 12 feet by 16 feet with a 10 foot ceiling.

6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.: None, we hope to stay here for a few years then purchase a home with a MUCH larger living room.

7) Any equipment you are already considering: I am in love with Denon products but only aesthetically, I work 16 hours almost everyday for a few more months. I have not even heard the equipment in store yet. (or would not consider): I do not like the look of Marantz, the readout is so small I think. I really like Klipsch and Polk Audio, but only in looks and reputation.

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.): Maybe anything goes, I cannot identify what most of the terms mean like, "Denon has sharp highs."

Thank you so much for any input available. I do not mind upgrading later when we move if I can get a better system just for our room, I am willing to not purchase the Denon AVR-X6400H and Klipsch RP-280FA, Atmos, 7.1 that I have my eyes set on. Basically If I can get Polk Audio in signature series and it still sounds okay, I would get Klipsch later. Shhh, the Wife wont see this...

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Hello!
If some people would shower me in all their opinions and experience I would be very grateful. This is the first Surround sound that I will be purchasing and setting up however, I already know how to as a beginner. I do not know about placement or bi-wiring etc.. I am stuck on #1:

1) I need help with picking out an HT or stereo setup. What kind of information should I provide?

When creating a new thread in the Speaker forum for help with recommendations for an audio setup, be sure to include

1) I would love to stay under 5,000 USD. I would even be happy spending around 1,000 USD, but that may not be possible for me.

2) Primarily I will be gaming and watching movies. Listening to music is 3rd for our household.

3) We have a 5.1 Samsung H.T.I.B. that costs around 1,300 USD but is from 2013, and it has these wireless rear speakers that ruins any 5g wireless you have. HT-H7730WM

4) The size of your room.: My living room is in the middle of our house and is 10 feet by 15 feet with a 8-9 foot ceiling.

5) Any placement restrictions: We have a door attached in one corner outside the 15 by 10 seating area. There is like a mini foyer entering the room. There is a sliding glass door on the other end on the 10 foot long wall with an addition room on the other side. That room is 12 feet by 16 feet with a 10 foot ceiling.

6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.: None, we hope to stay here for a few years then purchase a home with a MUCH larger living room.

7) Any equipment you are already considering: I am in love with Denon products but only aesthetically, I work 16 hours almost everyday for a few more months. I have not even heard the equipment in store yet. (or would not consider): I do not like the look of Marantz, the readout is so small I think. I really like Klipsch and Polk Audio, but only in looks and reputation.

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.): Maybe anything goes, I cannot identify what most of the terms mean like, "Denon has sharp highs."

Thank you so much for any input available. I do not mind upgrading later when we move if I can get a better system just for our room, I am willing to not purchase the Denon AVR-X6400H and Klipsch RP-280FA, Atmos, 7.1 that I have my eyes set on. Basically If I can get Polk Audio in signature series and it still sounds okay, I would get Klipsch later. Shhh, the Wife wont see this...
So you get lots of help, best to start a brand new thread of your own in the speakers forum: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=89. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wasn't sure where to ask this, and didn't think it needed it's own thread.

I'm moving into an older house. We're working on getting rid of all of the spiders and other creepy crawlies. Should I be concerned about something making a home inside my speaker through the port? Especially in my sub since it sits on the ground. I'm thinking maybe put some double sided tape on the inside of the port so nothing can crawl up in there.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Wasn't sure where to ask this, and didn't think it needed it's own thread.

I'm moving into an older house. We're working on getting rid of all of the spiders and other creepy crawlies. Should I be concerned about something making a home inside my speaker through the port? Especially in my sub since it sits on the ground. I'm thinking maybe put some double sided tape on the inside of the port so nothing can crawl up in there.

A concern maybe, just for old nest, a spider web should not affect the sound.

That said, I do not think those crawlies, would like to Live in there for long.
Maybe not for the sound volume, but the air movement, not a pleasant place to Live.

Just open the Sub, vacuum if needed, and forget about-it.

Ray

·
Registered
22 Posts
A concern maybe, just for old nest, a spider web should not affect the sound.

That said, I do not think those crawlies, would like to Live in there for long.
Maybe not for the sound volume, but the air movement, not a pleasant place to Live.

Just open the Sub, vacuum if needed, and forget about-it.

Ray
Ah, good point! I had already put double sided tape on the inside of the ports. My actual concern should probably be the receiver. I'm thinking I'll just put tape on the feet so they can't crawl up in there. I'm assuming bugs are attracted to warmer areas though, maybe not.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Ah, good point! I had already put double sided tape on the inside of the ports. My actual concern should probably be the receiver. I'm thinking I'll just put tape on the feet so they can't crawl up in there. I'm assuming bugs are attracted to warmer areas though, maybe not.

I live way up North, where the temperature on average go around -20 to -30, and sometime extreme as -40 to -50 Celsius, in the winter. Summer it can go up to 30 Celsius.
My house is suppose to Air Tight, but somehow, some find a way to get in:eek:, but none last long due to my Cats thinking "here's a new Toy, lets bat it around":)

Honestly, the little vent holes on the top of your AVR are too small them for them to crawl-in, so no worry on that one.
If You think your bug infection is that big, I would seriously look into hire a fumigator, get your Love ones and pets out, for the few hours it will take for the place to be safe again. this way all the establish colony are gone, and you only have to deal with to few that find a way in.

Ray

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't know if this is the right place to post my question but since the title say speaker setup so I give it a try:

I have the Klipsch sub and it has gain, phase and the other one is about Hz with the last option is LFE. There are 2 cable inputs: one is LFE and the other one is something else (don't remember exactly but can check when I'm off of work tonight).

I have the Yamaha a-1060 and it has some option relating to Hz so don't know which one to select. Currently it is on 80Hz for all speakers and the sub.

What is the gain?
What is the phase (0 or 180)?
What is the Hz and LFE?

Would you please direct or tell me how to set it up correctly?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a newb question:

My home came with Energy Encore2 satellite speakers and about a year ago I upgraded the center channel with an Energy Carn. CC-10 that has 2 5.5" woofers and 1" sub. My Encores have died and I'm now looking to replace them with in wall speakers.

My question is does it matter what size woofer the surround speakers have versus the center channel? The ones I'm looking at have 6.5" woofer. Will this unbalance the sound or anything?

·
Registered
1 Posts
good

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm thinking about placing a center channel above my screen as well as one below the screen. I live in a remote town of North Carolina, and you ate considered an audiophile if you own a transistor radio, so there's no help locally.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi.
I have been studying this forum and I am wanting to upgrade my front speakers.
The current Wharfedales have a 6 1/2 woofer and most of the floor-standing speakers I've been looking at have two 5 1/4 woofers.

What is the difference to the listener? How does this effect the sound?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speakers for Marantz PM6006 + turntable Pro-ject

Hi guys. I'm looking for some advice to buy speakers for my turntable. Here's what i have:

- Amp Marantz PM6006
- Turntable Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

- Music style: rock, jazz, blues, classic,..
- Room size: aprox. 6m x 5m (19.7' x 16.4')
- Budget: around 600 $

I'm looking for desk speakers because i don't have space for towers..
Can you give me your thoughts and sugestions?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello! Forum noobie here. I have a pretty basic question. I currently have a 2.1 HTS setup: Chane A1.4 and an Outlaw LFM-1 EX. Would you guys recommend sticking with this or going 3.1? I have my eyes set on a Chane A2.4 for a center channel, but I'm not sure if that will improve my sound. My current limitations include being in a small apartment where I can't turn up the volume very loud. In my previous house I had a 2.2 setup that was pretty great- had always planned on going 3.2, but with the recent move I am not so sure now. Thanks! :)

81 - 100 of 110 Posts