AVS Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Hello! Forum noobie here. I have a pretty basic question. I currently have a 2.1 HTS setup: Chane A1.4 and an Outlaw LFM-1 EX. Would you guys recommend sticking with this or going 3.1? I have my eyes set on a Chane A2.4 for a center channel, but I'm not sure if that will improve my sound. My current limitations include being in a small apartment where I can't turn up the volume very loud. In my previous house I had a 2.2 setup that was pretty great- had always planned on going 3.2, but with the recent move I am not so sure now. Thanks! :)
You should sart a new thread in the general speakers forum. More people will see your thread and offer advice/recommendations.

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,088 Posts
Just wanted to confirm that 16 AWG should be fine for rear atmos speakers? The run is definitely under 50 feet. I haven't measured it exactly but it's probably not more than 30. I'm going to be running it through walls and under carpet so I want to get what I need, but also not have it be thicker than I need.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,585 Posts
Just wanted to confirm that 16 AWG should be fine for rear atmos speakers? The run is definitely under 50 feet. I haven't measured it exactly but it's probably not more than 30. I'm going to be running it through walls and under carpet so I want to get what I need, but also not have it be thicker than I need.
Routing speaker wire through walls is a lot of work, and not something you are likely to want to redo anytime soon. I'd do it right and use overkill the first time, so I would suggest at minimum 14 gauge, but I personally wouldn't go through all the trouble without using the absolute best solution possible and just run 12g. Even if it cost $10 more, who cares? No chance to ever regret not using the best wire possible. Perhaps needs or usage changes and you upgrade your system to be able to handle full reference level playback with very capable speakers in every position. I have found that some overkill is usually just right when upgrading.

Reactions: Panson

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use Belden 8719, 16 AWG, 2 conductor, stranded tinned bare copper, twisted pair, foil shielded, jacketed, for 5 speakers, UL, CSA, Rohs. NOT just any 16AWG. You will be just fine for your very conservative 30 feet. Watch for wire specifications and would be hesitant on China Made, IMO. Good luck folks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, can I use mounting hole on the back of Rs41 speaker to hang it? I'm using them as ceiling back speakers...

Wysłane z mojego CLT-L29 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would update the surround speaker portion to modern times. Running up to 13 speakers in a setup has led to much more engaging rear speakers. I upgraded from large bookshelves to towers in the side rear because of the amount of material that is sent to the rears. Almost as much as the front. And as such most AVRs have much more information to spread around. Seeing as this was posted in 2014.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Regarding matching timbers on all front speakers. Why does this matter if most vocals come out of the Center channel? Can I get away with only matching left & right?

Atm I have 3 x identical fronts. The model/line doesn’t have a dedicated Center & I want to upgrade it. Aluminum enclosures. Other options from the mfg are wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi all,

I posted the note below on the sonos thread and on another forum with zero response. So i figured that the main question is more about speaker placement (than it is about Sonos).
Can any of offer an opinion on speaker height ?

Hi Folks,

In the fall i will be building a new home. Main floor will have 25ft high ceiling open concept with a loft.
The open concept living/dining is 21'x16' with 25' peak ceiling with a loft in the rear over the master bedroom and bathroom.

I want to reuse the current stereo components - Yamaha R N303 stereo receiver,
Pioneer PL-200 turntable,Sony Blu Ray and 2 PSB MK II speakers inside and 2 Mordaunt Short AX151 outdoor speakers.
I'll likely replace my WD TV Live with NVIDIA Shield.

I plan to add some Sonos gear from my old place- 2 Play 5's, and a Sonos Move.
I'm leaving behind a Sonos Connect and will likely use the Sonos Port to tie things together.

I have a few questions. Because of the open concept I'm wondering at what height the 5's should be to be effective.
I was thinking on placing the play 5's on opposite walls away from the PSB speakers. How high ?
Should i just have the carpenter build a wood shelf, use a stand or look for a mount for them?

A similar question for the Move. I plan to place it in the kitchen near the deck patio door. I'll likely mount it and its charger on the wall, as counter space will be scarce. How high should it be? As well I'm looking at the Sonos wall hook to hang it up in my screened in porch - how high should it be mounted outside ?

If you are wondering, the screen porch is on the side, and the main deck will house the Morduant Short wired speakers.
I'm banking a lot of the "Port" pulling this all together.

I'm wide open to any comments on speaker placement as well as to the Port.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts