Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All (including you Geeks),

I was wondering what many of you consider to be the basic components to building a HTPC. Things like brand/minimum-performance of processors, memory size, minimum video card specifications, sound, operating system, etc.

I will be building a new PC this month, and I am looking at the Abit IT7 motherboard. This board features the Intel 845E chipset and supports USB 2.0, Firewire (1394A), and 5/6-channel sound with optical out, and support for 533MHz. The equivalent AMD board by Abit is the AT7, but has a rather weak Southbridge, which shows up in the USB arena.

Anyway, I was thinking of using the Gainward GF4 Ti4200 64MB DDR video card with CRT/DVI out. Also considering a decent starter hard drive (80GB/7200RPM) and minimal processor (P4 1.7/1.8), etc.

Not know what many would consider the minimum in DVD-playback, I was not entirely sure as to what minimums to be looking at. I can say that I am not an ATI person (not saying I'm an nVidia person either), but my last ATI experience left a rather bad taste in my mouth--enough to keep me away from them.

Anyone have any kind words to offer guidance? Building PCs is not a problem (I've done it plenty of times before), but setting up for HTPC is something I have yet to experiment in as my current lot of pathetic PCs are 2-3 years behind the times. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Is this going to be a truly dedicated HTPC? How dedicated? DVD playback only.. MP3/AVI/DIVX encoding/decoding...Media Jukebox? Are you going to play games on the machine? What (if any) peropherals do you intend on hooking up the machine? What is your budget?

The PCs configuration would be based on budget and purpose.

There are no easy answer... heck there are members of this board getting exceptional DVD playback performance from 4 year old technology.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i would be running some tests on MPEG2->AVI/DIVX/MPEG4, some custom geometry DVD playback, and maybe some gaming. Not really into the MP3 thing (ok, so I'm an anomoly).

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you aren't playing 3d games, you've got no reason to buy the top-end Nvidia card. Actually I believe some of the lower-end GF4 cards are supposed to handle 2d video better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.