AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching and I know there is a thread somewhere out there in the foum that gives a generic detail of cable runs, but I can't seem to find it.

The basics:

A central A/V rack

7.1 sound

projector and LCD tv (opposite walls)

I'm basically looking for a "guide of sorts" to make sure I cover the things I am not thinking about. (i.e. additional cables to each speaker as well as speaker wire?)

I am close to this point and I am ready to just make a large monoprice purcahse and get most of it out of the way at once, also while the wife is not eyeballing every purchase

Thanks

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Run conduit to each location - 3/4" to each speaker location and 2" to the projector. Outside of the conduit you run 12/2 to each speaker location. Should you decide to do something fancy with the speakers in the future the conduit lets you run additional wires.

As for the projector location I would run one HDMI, one set of composites and two run of Cat5, all OUTSIDE of the conduit. This leaves the conduit free in case you need to change the wiring. Do the same for the TV.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the Cat5e or Cat6 as using it for ethernet connections and IR conections as well, are there other uses for it? All areas will be run with conduit as well as pull string in each.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Jester /forum/post/15463768

I understand the Cat5e or Cat6 as using it for ethernet connections and IR conections as well, are there other uses for it? All areas will be run with conduit as well as pull string in each.

I'm using Cat5e for component, audio (to upstairs TV) and subwoofer signals, via keystone jacks from Leviton. It works great.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Jester /forum/post/15463768

I understand the Cat5e or Cat6 as using it for ethernet connections and IR conections as well, are there other uses for it?

Also usable for trigger cable use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts