AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here anxiously awaiting the delivery of my HT 1000 w/ panamorph, I have spent a few hours tonight searching the forum archives in an attempt to gain a bit of an education on the panamorph lens. Since this will be my first experience with such a lens several very basic questions come to mind. Using the panamorph when viewing anamorphic DVDs what initial settings (aspect ratio etc.) will I need to employ at my DVD player (Sony DVP9000ES or Panasonic RP56 depending which one provides the most pleasing image - both outputting an interlaced signal) and the setting/s to be used at the projector. Ditto when viewing non anamorphic DVDs. I will not be viewing any 4:3 source material. The HT1000 will be table mounted and projecting onto a floor mounted 16:9 Da-lite pearlescent 1.4 gain screen. Thanks for your help and understanding with these newbie questions.

Mike

· Registered
4,720 Posts
Mike,

If you have an anamorphic disk, and the Panamorph - then you don't want the DVD player or PJ trying to "correct" the

aspect ratio of the anamorphic image - the Panamorph will do that.

You want to tell the player/PJ combo to just display the anamorphically distorted image. That way when the Panamorph

does the vertical compression - the proper AR will be restored.

For non-anamorphic material - you need something to do the vertical stretch of the image after throwing out any black

padding above and below the image - so that when the

Panamorph does the compression - the original AR is restored.

How you do this depends on the equipment. You'll have to go through the manual to see what options are available.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.