AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always hungry for bass, I intent to add a third sub to my existing HT system to get more for bass.


But I've been told a BEHRINGER Ultragraph Pro FBQ3102 Equalizer can do just what I want to get more bass boom out of my 2 subs SVS PB2-ULTRA (2x 12" drivers) and Velodyne model F-1500BF (15" Driver), both are active subs.


So I end up bought this Behringer FBQ3102.


Now before I hook this up to my 2 Subs, I need some help:


1. Will I get what I want, the "more powerful" bass out of my 2 Subs with this Behringer?


2. How I should hook it up? Through sub out put or using the 2 mono channels equalizer to each of the 2 subs?


3. What is the setting (each frequency equalizer and parameter) to get what I wish for?


4. How I should set the parameters at 2 subs?


THANKS for all inputs and suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
You are going to have to define "more" for us. I mean with the three subs you have unless you live in a cathedral you should have more than enough output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
You might try looking in the Behringers thread also. Lots of good info there.


Bill3508
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
You won't get 'more powerful' bass per se, what you will get is the ability to remove any nasty peaks in your response curve which will make what bass you do have much cleaner and even sounding. I had a giant 40hz peak in my room which once removed via my Velodyne SMS-1 made a huge difference in bass response. I aslo have two subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb /forum/post/0


You won't get 'more powerful' bass per se, what you will get is the ability to remove any nasty peaks in your response curve which will make what bass you do have much cleaner and even sounding. I had a giant 40hz peak in my room which once removed via my Velodyne SMS-1 made a huge difference in bass response. I aslo have two subs.

Agreed. EQ can make your bass seem more powerful. I am in almost exactly the same boat as deneb, and smoothing out the peak with my SMS-1 gave the lower bass a new vibrancy, bringing the entire system to life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. Palacio /forum/post/0


You are going to have to define "more" for us. I mean with the three subs you have unless you live in a cathedral you should have more than enough output.

John, how should I say, I feel my two subs is not loud enough, when I compare to my (small) HT in a box in my living room or bass boom of audio in some of my friend cars.


No matter how I tweak the cross over and volume at two subs, it sound just not powerful enough to bring out the low bass. Well not to my expectation at least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb /forum/post/0


You won't get 'more powerful' bass per se, what you will get is the ability to remove any nasty peaks in your response curve which will make what bass you do have much cleaner and even sounding. I had a giant 40hz peak in my room which once removed via my Velodyne SMS-1 made a huge difference in bass response. I aslo have two subs.

How you hook up the Behringer in your system?

Through 2 channel outputs or one Sub output by using a "T" RCA splitter?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs /forum/post/0


John, how should I say, I feel my two subs is not loud enough, when I compare to my (small) HT in a box in my living room

Huh? Must be something wrong with your 2 subs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs /forum/post/0


or bass boom of audio in some of my friend cars.


You gotta compare apples to apples......Car subs are often tuned higher and most music doesn't achieve as low as 20-30hz. How many subwoofer watts in your friend's car in such a small area????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles /forum/post/0


Huh? Must be something wrong with your 2 subs.....





You gotta compare apples to apples......Car subs are often tuned higher and most music doesn't achieve as low as 20-30hz. How many subwoofer watts in your friend's car in such a small area????

Have you experienced a car stoping at you side and hear that deep bass migrate or vibrate into your car? That kind of bass (boom). of course I will not turn my HT to travelling subs. I just want a bit more bass out of my existing set up, is this possible by including a Behringer FBQ3102?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs /forum/post/0


Have you experienced a car stoping at you side and hear that deep bass migrate or vibrate into your car? That kind of bass (boom). of course I will not turn my HT to travelling subs. I just want a bit more bass out of my existing set up, is this possible by including a Behringer FBQ3102?

You're just looking for pure SPLs and low soundquality if you're wanting car sub SPLs in your house. How big is your room? Unless your room is aorund 10,000 cu ft I don't see why those 2 subs should give you a problem with SPLs. Are your subs colocated? Where are they placed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
Ahem...room acoustics people. Get ye some bass traps. Chances are you are running into some serious cancellation and nodal issues at the seats. Seems totally counterintuitive, but by absorbing bass, you can get MORE bass where you sit. There are plenty of good bass trap products out there and DIY'ing them is flat out easy. You can EQ all you want but short of putting gargantuan amounts of horsepower into the room and then using an EQ to cut everything down to the bottom of the lowest response dip, doing some simple bass trapping will be your biggest bang for the buck.


As for the FBQ-3102, it is a decent EQ but it doesn't have the narrow bandwidth or resolution you need to properly EQ an LFE system. The ones you want are the DSP-1124 (aka the infamous BFD), or the later version DEQ-2496 or DCX-2496 (which has the advantage of programmable delays in each channel so you can properly time the arrivals of each sub). All three have a very flexible, very definable multi-band parametric EQ section in them that allows you to pick a very specific frequency and notch it out using a very narrow bandwidth filter. If you don't want to go thru the trouble, get a Velodyne SMS-1. The SMS-1 isn't as flexible, but it is plug and play and can handle multiple subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy /forum/post/0


You're just looking for pure SPLs and low soundquality if you're wanting car sub SPLs in your house. How big is your room? Unless your room is aorund 10,000 cu ft I don't see why those 2 subs should give you a problem with SPLs. Are your subs colocated? Where are they placed?

My room size is about 17' x 27' x 9.5' ceiling = 4,360 cu feets.


I place the SVS sub (down firing) in front center and the Velodyne (front firing) at right rear corner next to the surround speaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
You've got plenty of sub for your room, it really sounds like you're dealing with placement and room issues. I'd spent some time experimenting with placement, phase, ect. I'd also suggest getting either a Velodyne SMS-1 (so you can see the effects of placement and phase adjustments in real time) or other software to evaluate the response of your room. Time to start researching room treatments as well.


You could even start by only running one sub in a corner, see what kind of output you get, then add the second sub in the same location. From there move one sub to a different location and see how they both sound when in different locations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs /forum/post/0


John, how should I say, I feel my two subs is not loud enough, when I compare to my (small) HT in a box in my living room or bass boom of audio in some of my friend cars.


No matter how I tweak the cross over and volume at two subs, it sound just not powerful enough to bring out the low bass. Well not to my expectation at least.

Copy. OK then what you have is, apparently, the upper-mid bass emphasized over the deep bass. First of all, because you are mixing two different brands, make sure they are all in phase. You might find the Velo fighting ths SVS's if they are out of phase. One sure way of checking this would be to disconnect either the two SVS's or the Velo and see what happens.


Beyond that, all I can think of is room placement issues. You certainly have very good and powerful subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,972 Posts
EQ and bass traps will improve SQ, but if he really wants what he says, "deep bass (like that which) migrate(s) or vibrate(s) (from another vehicle) into your car? That kind of bass (boom)," I'm not sure improved SQ is what he's after.


What he describes would be readily accomplished by accentuating the kind of 40-60Hz nodes others of us strive to eliminate.
He certainly can create that boomy kind of sound easily enough with an EQ. But maybe what he should do is trade his SVS and Velodyne for four cheap (boomy) subs.



Actually, the two subs may be smoothing out the FR by canceling nodes, as is often the case. Trying just one, as John F. Palacio suggested, may restore some of the boom and provide a sound the OP finds more pleasing. Trying different locations and/or tinkering with the phase controls might result in reinforcement of the desired frequencies as well. A listening position near a wall can also possibly add a boomy sensation, if that alternative is feasible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
You need to change their positions and get some room treatments. An EQ too, if you got the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 /forum/post/0


EQ and bass traps will improve SQ, but if he really wants what he says, "deep bass (like that which) migrate(s) or vibrate(s) (from another vehicle) into your car? That kind of bass (boom)," I'm not sure improved SQ is what he's after.


What he describes would be readily accomplished by accentuating the kind of 40-60Hz nodes others of us strive to eliminate.
He certainly can create that boomy kind of sound easily enough with an EQ. But maybe what he should do is trade his SVS and Velodyne for four cheap (boomy) subs.



Actually, the two subs may be smoothing out the FR by canceling nodes, as is often the case. Trying just one, as John F. Palacio suggested, may restore some of the boom and provide a sound the OP finds more pleasing. Trying different locations and/or tinkering with the phase controls might result in reinforcement of the desired frequencies as well. A listening position near a wall can also possibly add a boomy sensation, if that alternative is feasible.


ditto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Car audio bass is not really held up as the ideal for home theater enthusiasts to achieve with their subwoofers. This is because car audio bass emphasizes pure SPL over quality, and they can get away without worrying about under 20-30hz. For impressive HT bass, you do want to worry about sub-30hz as well as infrasonics, as this is where the truly quality subwoofers prove themselves. Run a frequency sweep for your subwoofer at reference levels and see what sort of SPL readings you get from the primary listening position and get back to us with the numbers.


Then again, if you're striving to achieve car audio-like performance for your home theater, you might just have a "different" taste for bass.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top