AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased and installed the Niles ZR-4630. My overall satisfaction is very high with one glaring problem. The performance of the speakers in various rooms suffers greatly due to the lack of any tone controls on the 4630. For example, I have in-walls in the kitchen and they sound too bright with very weak bass. I temporarily routed the pre-amp out from this zone to an old receiver I have and if I crank up the bass on the receiver, the difference in sound quality in the kitchen is remarkable. Now that I have heard what they can sound like, I am totally dissatisfied with the status quo weak bass.

I don't have the space nor the desire to route each of the six zones through a separate receiver just for tonal control. I could add three graphic equalizers between the source and the 4630 for the three external sources, but that leaves the built-in AM/FM source still sounding bad.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
322 Posts
If it was extremely recently you might get the dealer to exchange it for an A4.6CI and an SI-1230. It's more expensive but has a lot more features, including independent bass and treble controls for each zone so you can customize per room and capability of your speakers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on the info on the Niles site, neither the A4.6i nor the SI-1230 appear to have any tonal controls.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yes the Niles does have bass and treble controls. For the 4.6 check page 66 of the manual (Installation settings). Unfortunately the 4630 does not have tone controls

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I slept on it and I'm feeling less grumpy today. I'm negotiating a deal to exchange the ZR-4630 for the A4.6Si and SI-1260. I've done too much work to settle for crappy sound.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It may be easiest just to trade yours back in.

I was going to suggest you look at our Musica system which has separate bass, treble and loudness contours for each room. But if you've already wired for the Niles system and negotiated an exchange you are probably best off following that path.

Of course what you really want are subwoofers :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
How did this work out? I'm considering the ZR-4630 or the A4.6CI and SI-1230 as well. Is the 30 watts enough to adequately drive your speakers? Do you have any outdoor speakers? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am considering the Niles 8630. Does it have the same tone/bass control problem as the 4630? Will the other Niles units do video distribution?

Willing to settle for composite/stereo distribution. But my ideal solution is one box that can distribute video and audio to 4-6 rooms, can output s-video or component (or DVI), can pass 5.1 to zones, can be controlled by Crestron (preferable through RS-232), contains one or two tuners, contains amps for stereo distribution. Is this to much to ask, probably!

CCJ

·
Registered
805 Posts
It is ideal to have tone controls at the whole-house audio component but if not ( as with the 4630 which I also have ) you can look into buying in-wall speakers that have tone controls. Speakercraft makes a line which have +/- 3 db tone controls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.