AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy new year everyone, I am a newbiehttp:// www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/eek.gif

With regards to bass in a typical room it appears that acoustical issues have brought about some interesting concepts in bass reproduction in the home. Below I have listed the different designs, and if anyone can add comments to them with info it would be appreciated:

DBA (dual bass array):

- pros and cons

- does the room dimensions have to be cuboid ?

- if not, is there a way to use sealed subs and get the room gain back?

SBA (single bass array)

- links or illustration of set up would be nice (I have the basics of this though)

- pros and cons

- can this be used in rectangular rooms

- is it true this approach eliminates certain modes as well as minimizes others? If so, which modes does it eliminate and minimize ? A room mode calculator can give an idea as to how well this would work in a room, and which modes would be affected.

- with sealed subs, will this approach allow for the room gain knee of a sealed enclosure 1/2 wl of longest surface?

- is this preferred over multi sub systems?

- if the 1/3 spacing can't be obtained with the driver facing the listener, can the subs be turned 90 degrees and fire into the corner but still maintain the 1/3 spacing?

Multi Subs (for 1 sub front center, 1 rear center)

- does the rear sub get any dsp such as delay or inverted polarity

- does the number of subs in the rear have to be the same as the number in the front?

- if the sub in the front had 6 - 15" drivers in a row vertically almost to the ceiling, would that be preferred to having them across the floor?

Anyone compare SBA vs Multi Subs?

IB would be nice, but isn't always possible .

Any other methods of getting a good bass response, other than EQ and heavy room treatment?

cheers

j.d.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
The nice thing about having multiple subs in their own boxes is you can experiment and see what works best in your room. Stick 'em all in a corner, try a DBA, spread them around the room, whatever. I don't think it's possible to come up with a 'best' arrangement for all rooms.

That said, I find the DBA concept really interesting but I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My multiple sub setup yields flatter response when the rear subs are fed an inverted signal. I have not yet tried a variable delay (phase shift).

I have two front subs and two rear subs each at the 1/3 and 2/3 position along the front and rear walls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.