AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 15799 Posts

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Since the new :poop: Forum Format has broken all of the previous links to the BEQ Graphs,
Until further notice The Entire Catalogue of BEQ Titles has been transferred to GitHub Here:

BEQCatalogue

Titles are listed in Alphabetical Order, disregarding "A" or "The" at the start of a Title,
Trilogies (or higher) will be Grouped Together and listed in Chronological Order

The Movie list starts with all Disc Based BEQ settings,
Streamed sources are compiled at the end of the List
If you click on a title it will link you to the Graphs and BEQ settings.
If there is an alternate BEQ for a second or third audio source,
You will usually find them at the bottom of the posting,
often in spoiler tags. If you don't see one that matches your source,
proceed with caution and follow the recommendations in the BEQ FAQ below.

Warning
Sometimes the disc Menu screen, Pre-Views and Trailers Run significantly Hotter than the Movie. Please keep (MV) Master Volume on your Receiver/Processor at a lower safe level until the Movie begins. Then reduce it again at the end (typically when the credits start rolling) at least -30dB below reference. That way if you forget you have elevated levels, your system won't get a blast when you load your next movie. Alternatively, you can also add a protection compressor setting in the miniDSP to avoid unexpected spikes in output level.​

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
General Information

Bass EQ
or BEQ has been talked about on Data Bass forums... since ~2014
for Restoring some Bluray/4K UHD movies that have had their lower frequencies severely filtered.

The ULF content is still there on the disc for the taking,
and with the right software the ULF/LFE levels can be restored.

This is not made up content, noise or filler, it's real low frequency material that "some" sound engineers decided no one needed to hear/feel. So the lowest frequencies output levels were just reduced to soundbar levels, But are still ripe for the picking with the right software.

@3ll3d00d has Developed the Ultimate Tool for BassEQ, The BEQDesigner
that @aron7awol has been using to create 1200+ BEQ settings/graphs and spectrogram heat maps.

For Home Theater Enthusiasts with Full Range Systems with multiple capable subs, Crowsons, Buttkickers and/or motion actuators, BEQ is a Total Game Changer!

3ll3d00d has been kind enough to create a very thorough, brilliant set of instructions and details ... as well as making the software he developed available for anyone to download though GitHub.

Read Me Link: BEQDesigner

Software Downloads: https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesigner/releases/

-------------------------------------------------------

There are many levels to BEQ, and you certainly don't have to explore every option to benefit. Each level described in detail, with screen shots, flow chart and diagrams in the Setup Guide below.

Basic Level
is just clicking the link from the movie list above to find the Movie Title BEQ settings, Manually adding several Low Shelf (LS) filters into the miniDSP software to enjoy your Movies with Full Bandwidth audio.

Too Much work?

GitHub Repo Will allow you to load the entire BEQ Movie list (in XML file format) from the GitHub repository (aka Repo) to your computer, for a single click to load any title using a miniDSP.
GitHub link complete with ReadMe instructions: https://github.com/bmiller/miniDSPBEQ (thanks to @DesertDog)

Next Level Up...

BEQ-Designer
is the top dog If you want to create your own House Curve and/or individual Sub EQ (using the miniDSP output channels) and then merge your Config.xml file with the Repo list using the BEQ'Designer for a more refined personal experience to maximize your systems capabilities. Most users have found this to be the Ultimate setup for integrating multiple subs and tactile devices to work in harmony with BEQ files.

Alternate Method of BEQ for computer nerds ONLY, If you have a HTPC and capable software you can rip your disc based movies into .mkv file format, From there you can create your own graphs, spectrogram heat maps, and/or even remux the audio (JRiver) instead of using a miniDSP device. ...the only downside is you can't remux ATMOS/DTS:X immersive audio tracks, it's limited to 7.1 track audio.

More details on each process in the MiniDSP Install and Setup Guide below

==================================================================

Optional INFO,

REW (Room EQ Wizard).....Optional and some of the tools required for the job
(If your room is well setup and you have no nulls, you can probably skip this step)

The Best First Step (not 100% "required" for BEQ, but Highly recommended)
... is getting REW (Room EQ Wizard) on your PC/Laptop/Macbook and measuring your rooms frequency response, also requires a USB mic, I'll be using a UMIK-1 but there other options that will be added soon with links, and a Boom mic stand.

It should go without saying, but IMHO
You can't effectively "fix" the Bass in a Movie if your Room is still Broken! :)

Whenever possible, I prefer to make physical adjustments to the room first, before turning to software correction solutions. (could involve seating and/or sub relocation, treatments for first reflection points, sound absorbtion, bass traps, diffusion panels etc.)
Sometimes, just adding another sub is all you need to even out your rooms frequency response across all seating positions.

If your main listening position (aka MLP) is dead center in a square room, you are very likely sitting in a Null....REW will confirm that. ...Whenever possible, try to position your seating at the 2/3rds distance from your front wall. (eg: 15' deep room, MLP at 10' feet)
I also prefer to have my Front L/R speakers about the same distance apart as they are to my MLP (forming an equilateral triangle) or close as possible.

an Equalateral Triangle is always 60º in each corner

REW can be a great tool to auto generate filters that can be imported to a miniDSP to achieve a Flat Frequency Response in your system. You can also go one step further and create a target/house curve if you want a little more Bass in your system (Highly recommended).

Link: Room EQ Wizard (REW)

Link: Sub integration for 2.1

==================================================================

There are several products that can be used for BEQ adjustments, but I'll start with the miniDSP 2x4HD (~$200) One of the best products for the money (IMHO) with up to 10 Bands of EQ, Crossovers, Time Alignment for up to 4 individual Subs.

I'm starting from scratch with REW (Room EQ Wizard) free software.

From miniDSP, a miniDSP 2x4HD that ships with a coupon code for a free MiniDSP 2x4 HD1 Pluggin download. Optional: If you want to use REW, there's a drop down option for adding a UMIK-1, a usb mic you plug into your laptop, and if you don't already have one, a boom mic tripod stand from amazon (~$20)

I also picked up a miniDSP remote for $5 that allows you to swap 4 different configurations on the fly. Or you can use the free app for Andoid/iOS Smartphones/Tablets (just search for "miniDSP Controller" in the GooglePlay/Apple store)

REW Download site: REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

REW users Forum: REW Forum

Getting Started with REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI...

miniDSP 2x4 HD (add a UMIK-1 USB mic if you want to use REW) : miniDSP 2x4 HD

The UMIK-1 mic must be calibrated with download file available on miniDSP site after you enter your serial number
(You need to use the 90º Calibration file to use your UMIK-1 in the upright (aimed at the ceiling) position (recommended for multi-channel and sub calibration)

UMIK-1 Calibration File load through REW, and make your first REW Sweep
UMIK-1 setup with REW

...a couple optional items I picked up:

miniDSP IR Remote (quick access to 4 different config memory slots for $5)
miniDSP IR remote v2

WI-DG a Wifi Bridge (eliminates USB cable from the 2x4HD to your Laptop)
WI-DG
(also allows you to connect via smartphone with miniDSP Controller app for iOS/Android devices, no need for IR remote)

$20 Boom Mic Tripod stand from amazon
Amazon.com: Microphone Stand, Ohuhu Tripod Mic Stand Boom with Mic Clips, Height Adjustable, Light Weight, Black: Musical Instruments

========================================================

Canadian Source for miniDSP products:
(Please don't buy from amazon.ca unless you like paying double)

MINIDSP2X4HD - Solen Électronique Inc.

IR remote for the miniDSP products. This remote is preprogrammed for miniDSP products.

The miniDSP UMIK-1 MiniDSP Microphone - Solen Electronique Inc.

miniDSP WI-DG, The Wi-DG is a tiny adaptor that interfaces to the USB port of a miniDSP hardware unit and acts as a Wi-Fi to USB bridge.

Here's my first REW sweep, subs about +10dB Hot on the low end (around 14Hz)
No nulls (dips) in my FR (Frequency Response), just a peak ~70Hz near my crossover to tame....

You can cut the peaks with EQ, but you cannot digitally correct a null (dip)
If you have a dip in your FR you need to make physical corrections by moving your sub(s) or your seating, adding bass traps...or the most fun solution...just add MORE subs!

=================================================

MiniDSP 2x4HD HD1 software free pluggin when you purchase a miniDSP 2x4HD

The miniDSP 2x4HD model has 10 EQ channels on the input side and 10 on the output side, ALL other miniDSP models are limited to 5 in and 5 out, and quite a few movies need 6 or more.

=================================================

BEQ FAQ:

1. Is BEQ dangerous?

I totally understand the fear of asking a sub to do too much and blowing it up.
I also understand people thinking, "OMGZ, 20-30dB boost down into the teens and single digits! My sub is now a smoke machine!" Those boosts do look really scary, without the proper context.

I think the important thing is not to look at it like we're boosting our subs by 20-30dB. We're really not. We're boosting super-low level content within the mix by 20-30dB to bring it back up to normal levels that exist in content that is readily available and played on those same subs every day without batting an eye. That goes for huge subs, tiny subs, ported subs, sealed subs, subs of all shapes and sizes. Even the guy with the 10" sub should be able to BEQ without any fear of breaking his sub. Granted, he won't get much benefit if his sub only digs down to 25Hz, and that might be a reason for him not to bother with BEQ, but danger should not be.

Now, all that being said, if you do something ignorant/stupid/forgetful and leave the shelves enabled and play War of the Worlds, that's another story. But that's not any more irresponsible than running your 10" sub 20dB hot with a house curve and no HPF. Any full-bandwidth content will be doing the same kind of damage at that point. So for the newbies, tread carefully, study up, read the FAQ that doesn't exist yet, make sure you know what you're doing, and then there's nothing to be afraid of. Jump in with two feet. The water's warm. Actually, it's blistering hot, because if you're reading this thread, that's how you like your bass!

2. Why do you use multiple small filters instead of one big one?

The reason for using multiple smaller filters is two fold:
1. You can achieve a steeper slope with lower Q, and thus less overshoot.
2. A lower frequency, a higher Q, and a higher gain will all push the biquad coefficients closer to the limitations of their precision. Using multiple smaller filters will help with a lower Q and lower gain, giving those biquad coefficients more "headroom" as far as their precision limitations. This can be especially important with the MiniDSP 2x4HD, because it uses 96kHz sample rate which eats into that headroom. Running into the precision limitations would manifest itself as "error" in the implementation of the filters in the DSP. In other words, the actual result of the filter would differ from the expected result.

Where there is a Multiplier listed (like the LSx3 in the example below)
enter the same LS filters 3 times (each in it's own slot (EQ1,EQ2,EQ3) before moving onto the next frequency

Where a PEQ filter is called for, use PEAK for filter type instead of Low Shelf

3. Why is there a Negative or Positive Gain Filter (Q N/A) or MV noted, and Where do I apply it?

This last number is a recommended Master Volume adjustment on your AVR
(Assuming we're are all using Reference Listening Levels calibrated to "0")

Some movies are recorded a little too low (like many recent Disney/Marvel titles) and need a + dB bump. Others, like Nolan titles are mixed very Hot and will induce Clipping when run at reference levels, So the BEQ settings will also include a recommend a Negative adjustment on the MV (Master Volume) on your AVR/Pre-Pro.

WARNING If you leave corrected/elevated LFE/ULF BEQ levels set too high, that were "intended" for a movie that needed a significant boost, There is potential for damage to your speakers/subs if you then play a full bandwidth title with those same Raised Low Shelf filters.

Please Save a separate Bypassed Preset for unfiltered movies, Some full bandwidth Bass-Fest movies require no BEQ at ALL. Easy fix would be to use Config-1 for loading BEQ titles, Config-2 change all the Input filters to BYPASSED

Or better yet!
if using a miniDSP device you can add a protection compressor to keep an accidental spike from damaging your subs. Scroll down to the next post (setup/install guide) and look for this label in the Setup Guide below:

SAFETY FIRST

4. Can I use the 4K/UHD/ATMOS BEQ for my Regular Bluray or Streamed sources?

For the most part, Yes, just proceed with caution.
Do Not run at reference levels unless it's been added to the list or reported as (SAFE).

ATMOS is ATMOS regardless of the disc source (4K/UHD or Bluray)
But if it's a movie from a studio (like Disney/Sony etc...) ATMOS may be exclusive to the 4K/UHD release. If that's the case, almost always the Bluray version has DTS-HD MA audio. (that can sometimes require totally different BEQ)

See Oblivion example here: Bass EQ for Filtered Movies

If the Bluray audio was TrueHD, then yes, the same BEQ applies to ATMOS/TrueHD because BOTH are from Dolby ATMOS meta-data is actually embedded in the core 7.1 TrueHD Bitstream, so there is no change to the LFE/ULF where BEQ is concerned.
in an ATMOS capable system the meta-data is extracted and re-directed to the height channels. The LFE is not any different.

If you don't have the ATMOS version and still want to use the ATMOS BEQ on your DTS-HD MA track, Simply use a lower Master Volume and stay away from reference levels. The same applies to using a disc based BEQ on a Streamed source.
(down -5dB on your MV should give you plenty of headroom, -10 if you want to be really cautious and you have an aggressive house curve already)

I've used this method on dozens of 3D movies that mostly come with DTS-HD MA.
There are only a few DTS-HD MA tracks that are significantly louder than the ATMOS version. To be 100% sure, use the BEQ-Designer App (links below) and generate your own graph and compare it to the ATMOS version.

I'll be updating the list to include both formats on titles deemed safe for use with the same BEQ settings :) Others can often be checked against graphs from the Ultimate Bass in Movies thread

How to read a Frequency Graph for Bass output? Reading Graphs 101

===================================================
What is a miniDSP?

Z Reviews miniDSP 2x4 and miniDSP 2x4HD

....This Guy is a WOOT! (language warning)

Summary of 2x4 vs 2x4HD

miniDSP 2x4 $95 miniDSP 2x4

miniDSP 2x4HD $205 miniDSP 2x4 HD

miniDSP 2x4 Balanced $125 miniDSP Balanced 2x4

Balanced version does not use RCA jacks (lots of wire splicing required )

quick question, do I need the minidsp 2x4 HD or will the regular "not HD" version be ok?

Only for BEQ, Pioneer SC1224 receiver(same as SC-81 in US I believe), I have 2 sub out that I can use, I want to connect my 4 XTZ 12.17 subs on the output side...
Thats it, what are the benefits with the HD, and will the none HD version be enough with its 0.9V RMS output?

Thanks
The non-HD 2x4s are fixed-point, while the 2x4 HD is floating-point.

Technical reading on why this matters for ULF filters:

Short story: ULF filters will not be applied accurately i.e. actual response will not match expected response. This gets significantly worse as frequency is decreased and/or sample rate is increased.
The HD version has many advantages, connectivity through USB and IR remote,
WIFI (with optional wireless bridge) ontop of many performance benefits.
It also comes with its own power supply/adapter.

Well I got my hands on the Minidsp 2x4HD today and installed in place of my 2x4 Balanced. After opening my last round of sub measurements and converting my EQ file to the proper 96k format for the HD I was up and running in no time. Right off the bat I can tell a substantial difference in the SQ and received a solid increase in bass/ULF power for my efforts. Then I loaded the first BEQ and things got serious.

Lets just say BEQ through the HD is on a completely different playing field from the Balanced 2x4 and easily on par with if not better than using JRiver for BEQ with the Balanced in the chain for sub eq alone. I'll post more tomorrow once I've been through more content and also tested BEQ through JRiver using the HD for sub Eq, but there is no way I could ever go back. The sound quality difference alone of the bass would never allow that and with the almost unexplainable difference in BEQ with the HD I'd go as far as withdrawing the Balanced 2x4 completely for even sub eq and especially for BEQ. Using the HD will give me the best of all worlds and allow keeping the bitstream intact but have the same or better quality BEQ than JRiver. Finally no more compromise just amazing BEQ glory.

I'm honestly in shock and have never heard my system in its current form sound this good. Not only does the bass sound better it's better integrated which has increased the sound quality of the system top to bottom. Even using the exact same settings all the way down to the delay settings has yielded more powerful midbass and intensely stronger ULF at the MLP. There is no way to really explain how much different the HD and non-HD units are without using them, no better yet HEARing them yourself.

Expect more impressions but suffice to say this ***** isn't goin' anywhere and is the best addition I made other than acoustic treatments.

Beyond highly recommended, and for anyone looking to get into BEQ, skip the Balanced and go straight for an HD model. If you have a Balanced unit sell it and buy an HD. I wish I hadn't already had my Balanced and had gone for the HD a long time ago.:mad:
It really is game changingly better!:cool:

BTW Anon was my first full movie with the HD and it is loaded full of ULF with BEQ. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit too.
Is the normal MiniDSP 2x4 okay for my situation running dual subs only? Does the power output important in my small room to go with the HD version?
Both models are 2 inputs x 4 outputs ....so the number of Subs (or sub power) is no different.
The HD model has a boat load of features, options, twice as many filters, compatible with other devices via IR and USB and Wifi (with a WI-DG),
But perhaps more importantly ...10x the processing power (96kHz sample rate) and 2.0v signal voltage (non HD is 0.9v) So the HD is much less likely to cause distortion or clipping of the signal.

If you already have a 2x4, you are certainly free to try it out. I had one and sold it in favour of the HD model
But if you are buying New, spend the extra $90 and never second guess your decision.

Whilst I have the non-HD MiniDSP, in hindsight with a little more knowledge, I probably should have bought the HD version.
Along with the increased voltage ( 2.0V to 4.0V in the HD ) the other very major advantage of the HD over the non-HD is the available output delay.
The non-HD caps out at 7.2ms which equates to 2.479m, whereas the HD provides up to 80ms!!!!
When it comes to time aligning two or more Subs this allows a massive amount of flexibilty in Sub placement. Especially if you have a big room.
REW shows that, whilst I could get close, my two Subs are too far apart to get perfect alignment within the 7.2ms max delay cut off.:(

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
MiniDSP 2x4HD Install and Setup Guide

My AVR already has dual independent sub outputs: (that I use for Front/Rear)
(So my Distance/EQ/Phase Corrections are already in place for both Sub outs)

The miniDSP will likely add some delay (as much as 4.5 feet) to your sub signal, and you may lose 6dB in signal output. So you will want to re-run your AVR's room correction software (Audessey/YPAO/Dirac) with the new mini in the chain,
Set all EQ filters temporarily set to bypassed.

*If you are using all 4 Outputs for Subs, you need to make a couple changes on the Output 2 and 4 X-Over settings, Default X-Over setting on Outputs 2 and 4 have the High Pass Filter active that must be BYPASSED, and Low Pass filter at 1000Hz that should be active.

If you wish, you can use REW to import EQ filters to your miniDSP directly
There's already a dedicated REW thread for that, so not going to explain it here.
(Just make sure you save your REW settings to the Output channels in the miniDSP)

My setup: (YMMV)
Sub-1 pre-out on the AVR will supply the signal for my Front Funk Audio 18.0's
(into input 1 on the miniDSP)
Sub-2 pre-out on the AVR will supply the signal for my Rear Velodyne Subs + Crowson MA's
(into input 2 on the miniDSP)
(USB cable running to my laptop is on the left)

My RCA Cables are 22 AWG CL2 Rated RG6/U 75ohm from Monoprice
Monoprice 25ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video) - Monoprice.com

The miniDSP Output 1&2 go to my Front Funk Audio 18.0 Subs (Left and Right)
The miniDSP Output 3 goes to the rear of my room where I split that signal with a Y splitter to my 2 VNF Velodyne Subs.
The miniDSP Output 4 goes to the rear of my room to feed my Crowson amplifier for my Motion Actuators.
(power cable on the left)

Basic Signal Flow Diagram for 2 inputs and 4 sub outputs

MiniDSP Plug-In download is available in your account you created at Home | miniDSP
(there should be a coupon code in the box your miniDSP shipped in, for 1 free plug-in download)

Go to the top right corner of the miniDSP web site,
login to your user account, scroll down to downloads:

miniDSP HD1 software screen shot Inputs & Routing Tab

For Sub inputs from your processor/avr,
set the miniDSP Input to Analog if using RCA/Analog cables from your AVR

Screen shot showing Input Selection set as Analog,
Front AVR Sub Input 1 signal is only feeding Output 1+2
( to my Front Subs only, output 3 + 4 turned off)
Rear subs (output 3) and Crowson's (output 4) only get the Rear AVR Sub-2 Signal to Input 2 on the miniDSP (1&2 outputs turned off)

You can easily Matrix the in/outs to match your own configuration.

You may want just 1 sub signal input to the miniDSP and 4 outs with all the same output signal...then go into each sub output channel (leave the input side for BEQ)and set their own EQ/Delay etc. individually (with REW)

Outputs Tab: ....No Output on Channels 2 or 4 ???

By Default the miniDSP 2x4 Output Channel crossovers are correctly set for Outputs 1 & 3 for Subs. (Woofers) BUT setup on Output channels 2 & 4 for Speakers. (Tweeters)
So you will need to manually change the X-overs so the bypass filters on Output channels 2 & 4 match Output channels 1 & 3 for running 4 Sub Outs.

Channel 1 and 3 out are correct by default for Subs,
just make sure all 4 Output Filters are the same to run 4 subs.

Here are the Default settings for Output 1, make sure all 4 match what you see here below
(High Pass Filter set to BYPASSED, Low Pass Filter Active)

If you want to use all 4 Config memory slots, that change is not universal,
So you will have to repeat those steps to fix the X-Over/Filters for all 4 Configs

Next go back to the Input Channel page
Select the PEQ Tab, just above Mute. (see next pic below)

That opens up 10 available colored EQ slots for adding filters for the BEQ settings (Frequency/Gain/Q/Filter Type). The far right tab should read Low Shelf (aka LS) for the filter type. Some BEQ's will require a PEQ as your last entry, use PEAK as your Filter Type for those. Unused EQ tabs should just be disabled by hitting the BYPASS button. (far right, bottom corner) turning the EQ color tab to Grey.

If there are any -/+ Gain numbers with a MV or N/A for filter type at the end of the BEQ...that's a recommended Master Volume change on your AVR or Pre/Pro
Some titles are a little too quiet, even at reference levels, some are already clipping before BEQ so the MV adjustment should be made up or down
(relative to your normal listening levels)

If you want all your subs to have the same BEQ settings, make the PEQ adjustments on the Two Input channels, not the 4 Outputs. You only need to do it once if you clicked the Link Enabled tick box option to pair input 1 & input 2 together.

I Highly recommend reserving the Output Channels for your own Sub EQ and/or House Curve adjustments, That way each of the 4 output channel can have individual EQ, Distance/Delay and Crossovers for subs of different size, type, location....or for motion actuators/buttkickers/BOSS system.

Each of the 10 EQ slots in the miniDSP has 4 Parameters for you to adjust for each BEQ: Frequency (Hz), Gain (dB) Q (Bandwidth) and Filter Type. If there is a Multiplier in the BEQ instructions (like x4) you enter the same parameters for EQ1, EQ2, EQ3, EQ4, before moving to the next frequency in the BEQ

----------------------------------------------------

Setting up a House Curve is not required, but if you like a Fat Bottom end give it a try.

Good Read Here: House Curve; What is it, Why you need one, and How to do it!

The biggest difference between a generic boosting of sub gain/levels +10dB and a House Curve is the HC is more Bottom loaded (due to the LS you apply) ...where as a simple sub level boost raises All Bass Frequencies by the same amount right up to your crossover point, plus all LFE signals up to 120Hz.

A house curve should be a gentle slope from your crossover frequency (~80Hz),
that goes up between 5dB to 10dB hot at your subs lowest frequency/peak output abilities.
To determine where that magic range is for your subs + any room gain you may have, is to graph it with REW. (It's a personal preference, so adjust to taste until you're happy)

In general, room correction software will try to create a flat response across the entire frequency range. But human hearing is less sensitive to lower frequencies and if you play a 30hz test tone it will sound ~8dB lower than a 100Hz tone, even if both are set to the same output level on an SPL meter.

So to make your room have a "perceived" flat response,
you'll want ~10dB boost on your low end...

If you don't want to add a house curve, don't worry it's not a requirement.
Maybe all you want adjusted on the output channels are your own Sub EQ settings (along with distance/delay,phase etc.)

At this point it's probably a good idea to also add a protection Compressor
(as noted in the FAQ in the previous post) and include it into your config file (House Curve/EQ)

SAFETY FIRST

Open your miniDSP HD1 software and go to the Output tab,
Go to Config 1 and click the Compressor tab under Output Channel 1:
Enter the following values, then click off the bypassed button at the bottom, Done!

If you use all 4 output channels, you need to repeat that step for all 4 outputs
...and if you use all 4 Configs (across the top) you have to do the same for all of them.

If you use the BEQ-Designer App to merge Movie BEQ XML files from the Repo with your own EQ/House Curve. You want to include the Compressor settings in your house curve config.xml file

If you have a EQ/HC config.xml file already, you can Load your current config.xml, add compressor settings, Hit the save button (top left corner) and it will over-write your current file.

If you don't have a config file yet, Hit Save (after adding the compressor settings)
Then create a new file folder on your computer to save your config file in,
... ideally a different directory than your Movie BEQ file folders.

Supplementary Info:

Here's how I put a 30Hz crossover on my Output Channel 4 to my Crowson Amp for my Motion Actuators...(saved to my House Curve XML file) The lowest x-over setting on the Crowson D-501 amp was 40Hz, not quite low enough for my preference, so I dropped it to 30Hz like this:

------------------------------------------------------

After Entering the BEQ Filters on the Input channels
(and any optional EQ settings/House Curve on the Output channels)

Hit "Connect" in the top right corner of your screen to update the new BEQ settings to your miniDSP (Green check mark in the top right corner confirms your connection)
Click the "Synchronize Config" selection if you get a popup. Once you are connected, you can unplug the USB cable from your laptop.

...or leave it hooked up to monitor your 4 sub output levels in real time

If you want to switch between 4 different memory slots (Config 1, 2, 3, 4 along the top) using an IR remote, make sure the side of the miniDSP with the IR receiver (and the blue light) is facing your seat.

You can use the 4 Config slots for 4 different Movie BEQ's, or you can use Config 1 just for BEQ Movies, 2 for TV, 3 for Music, 4 for No-BEQ. It's pretty easy to turn your sub output levels down, and keep your seat shaker levels high for a Night Mode as another option.

My USB cable isn't quite long enough to reach from my miniDSP to get my laptop back to my seat...so my next purchase will be a miniDSP WiFi adapter WI-DG (to keep my laptop "On" my lap) ...$75

WI-DG

I got it all hooked up, But the instructions for configuring the WI-DG network connection are a little wonky for PC users.

In order for your wireless Laptop to find the WI-DG in your available network connection list,
You have to first download the i-Tunes app for Windows users from the Apple online store (free) to get the mDNS service installed on your PC...You cant DL it from any other source, it has to be the version on the apple site Here: iTunes

Windows:
64Bit https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64
32Bit https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win32

So I did that, and got the miniDSP-Wi-DG_221D52 added to my list of wireless networks available, connected to that, the next step is to use a non-microsoft browser, like Firefox or Chrome, and enter http:// minidsp-wi-dg.local/ in the browsers url bar to load the password/login page for your WI-DG (a one time connection).

But it failed no matter what I tried, so I tried the suggested hard wire connection with an Ethernet cable, still no bueno! I went online to the MiniDSP : Category Index but got nothing there either, Tossed everything back in the box and let it sit for almost a month. LOL!

Finally emailed miniDSP support to start a ticket,
Two days later they said to manually enter the IP address (usually 192.168.100.1 works) instead of minidsp-wi-dg.local. They were right, instant connection. Entered a password I made up, switched from AP mode (Access Point) to Station Mode. Joined the WI-DG to my local network (wireless router) Rebooted everything, loaded my miniDSP pluggin (miniDSP HD1 software on my PC) got the IP address using the Auto selection in the top right corner, Boom all Good!

I got back to tech support to thank them, and to suggest they revise their online user manual to include the 192.168.100.1 option

The following day experienced several connection drops, and the auto would make 3 attempts and often fail. It took a while for Auto to finally find my IP to finally auto-populate, but I took note of the IP once it finally did, snapped a pic with my smartphone.
Now when the signal drops and I lose connection, I just manually insert that IP, in my case it was 192.168.0.24, and I get an instant stable "connect" every time.

If you are having auto connection issues with the WI-DG

Go to the Apple store (iOS) or Google Play (Android) and download the miniDSP App to your smart phone (also replaces the need for a remote) You can now swap between 4 configs, mute, volume up and down ...but even more useful it gives you the IP address for your miniDSP/WI-DG.

Enter that number into your miniDSP and hit connect...

==========================================================

Start your own Library of BEQ settings for your Favourite Movies

Enter the BEQ settings for your Favourites or for Movies you know are coming soon that you've pre-ordered. Hit the Save button in the Top Left of the screen after each BEQ is entered, create a file folder named BEQ and start saving them to your laptop/pc/macbook
(Use the Load function to make entering BEQ's to your miniDSP a one click setup now ;) )

Here's a few I entered just while I was watching TV, it only took 30 minutes to enter/save 13 movies (~ 2.5 min ea) ... but now I can just hit the load button when its movie time ;)

Want to make things even easier? Download the Repo
For the point and click crew (no endless typing/entering filters manually)

@DesertDog has compiled ALL the BEQ XML miniDSP files from our BEQ list above to his Repository (Repo) That you can download to your own computer now through GitHub, so you will be able to load them directly into your miniDSP 2x4HD with a couple mouse clicks, no more typing required.

The BEQ xml files should be updated through the GitHub DeskTop app weekly,
so any new titles or old ones with revisions will be updated with a single click.

GitHub link complete with ReadMe instructions: https://github.com/bmiller/miniDSPBEQ

Just keep in mind, if you've applied your personal Sub EQ and/or House Curve tweaks in your miniDSP's output channels, They will have to be added back in manually when using downloaded Repo BEQ files from the repo.

BEQ's downloaded from the repo have zero'd output channel values that automatically overwrite your manual settings. (so you will probably want to save an EQ or House Curve xml file separately somewhere on your PC in its own folder, keep reading...

OR better yet, just use the BEQDesigner App instead:

The BEQDesigner App
is the Best way to Merge BEQ Movie files with your own EQ/House Curve.

You will need to download the most Current Release of the BEQ'Designer App,
the most current Version is 0.9.4, I loaded the beqdesignerSetup.exe on my Windows 10 laptop.
Mac users please use the version in the beqdesigner.app.zip file

Instructions: BEQDesigner
Downloads: https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesigner/releases/

If you've previously downloaded the Repo from DesertDogs GitHub Desktop, you won't be using the desktop app anymore, The BEQ'Designer will pull from the GitHub, you perform the merge function, and the app will overwrite your previous BEQ downloaded titles.

If you don't have the repo movie list downloaded yet, no worries,
the BEQ'D app will pull from the same github that DesertDog setup.

On the first go,
Please make sure you have your Sub EQ/House Curve settings on the miniDSP output channels. This is also where you would save a compressor setting.

1. Using the miniDSP software, export (save) your minidsp EQ/House Curve config to an xml file (make a separate folder to save it in, not in your BEQ folder)
2. Load the BEQDesigner app (it may take a minute to load, be patient)
3. Press Ctrl+X (or select Merge MiniDSP XML from the drop down Tools menu selection)
4. Press the repo refresh button to update the list to the most current content.
5. Enter your minidsp EQ/House Curve config file (from step 1)
6. Press Save (all merged new BEQ files will be saved to your BEQ directory on your computer)

after that, it's just a matter of refreshing the repo as new titles/updates are added,

1. start BEQDesigner
2. press Ctrl+X
3. press the repo refresh button
4. press the save button

You should see all 2700+ tracks load after a couple minutes and you will have access to the merged list on your PC Ready to load into the minidsp via the File>Load option in your MiniDSP software. (top left corner)

In one step now, the miniDSP load function will extract the new combined .xml file and put the BEQ Movie settings on the 2 Input channels, and your House Curve (+ any Sub EQ tweaks you've made) will go to the 4 individual Output channels.

I use the BEQ'Designer App once a week to update my movie list with the "refresh" button so I have all the latest movie releases/updates.

After several months of use, I noticed my BEQ folders on my laptop contained about 50 duplicate files, It appears the current GitHub Repo keeps older versions of BEQ's even though Aron has created a new Update.

You will want to do a "purge" of your BEQ folders (not just the content) the entire directories
every once in a while to clear out old versions of BEQ's. For some it's going to be a bit of a challenge, My laptop (with Windows 10) had BEQ files in 4 different Documents folder locations, took me 4 tries to find the right ones.

================================================

Optional Section: Create your own BEQ Graphs with BEQ Designer
For those interested enough to venture deeper down the Rabbit Hole...

How to create your own BEQ/Graphs

Steps to create a BEQ graph:

One time step:
1.) Download ffmpeg (FFmpeg Builds - Zeranoe) and enter that path in the preferences dialog inside the beq designer tool)

This is all you have to do:
1.) Rip movie to your PC using makemkv (MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD)
2.) In the BEQ Designer, select Extract Audio from the tools menu and select the mkv file.
3.) Click the extract button
4.) Click Add under signals and select the file that step 2 created
5.) Click preview and then OK
6.) Start adding filters until you are happy with the result. Most filters will be low shelf filters with a Q around 0.7-1.0.
Simple Remux BassEQ Tutorial for Computer Geeks with JRiver (or similar program) and don't want to use a miniDSP device for BEQ.

This tutorial does not go into every detail.
You may have to experiment in BEQ Designer to figure out exactly what each step entails.
This will apply a simple BEQ with a single set of filters on all channels.

1. Extract Audio - Decimate but do not Mix to Mono. This will keep all of the independent channels.
2. Add Signals. You should now see a signal for each channel.
3. Link Signals - Make one the master and make all of the rest slaves. Now if you add filters to the master, all of the signals will get them.
4. Add Filters to the master signal. You should see the filters take effect on all channels on the PvA graph.
5. Check Headroom - Click the up arrow below the PvA graph. This will bring up the waveform graph below. Check the "Filtered?" checkbox. Now select each signal and make note of the headroom shown. One or more of the signals may show negative headroom. The negative gain you choose to add should be based on the worst case, so make note of which signal had the least headroom (or the largest negative headroom). Add a negative gain filter to the same master signal above to increase headroom so that it is no longer negative on any of the channels.
6. Remux - If you followed all of these steps starting with extraction, the signals should map to the filters automatically.

This tutorial was meant to be quick and simple.
It won't answer every question for someone first starting with BEQ Designer,
but it at least gives you the guidelines to follow as you work your way through learning how the app works.

Notes:
1. You will lose audio objects in Atmos/DTS:X mixes.
2. Many mixes already have channels with little or no headroom without any filters added, so don't be alarmed by that.
3. If you check "Compress Audio?" when remuxing, it will encode the audio as FLAC instead of uncompressed PCM.
4. If you want to do per-channel BEQ rather than applying the same filters to all channels, simply skip the Link Signals step and you can apply different filters to each channel.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Lets do this! Thanks for making a new thread.

An idea that you touched on is something I've been thinking about. Perhaps we could decide on the 4 miniDSP settings as overall most used frequency correction filters. Then instead of BEQ'ing each and every movie individually, we could choose one of the 4 presets that come closest. The option would still be there of course to manually input filters for each specific movie if need be.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Can't thank you enough. Subscribed to this thread.

Just a suggestion, highlight those warning in bold red. You don't want bass noobs to end up blowing their subs.:eek:

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lets do this! Thanks for making a new thread.

An idea that you touched on is something I've been thinking about. Perhaps we could decide on the 4 miniDSP settings as overall most used frequency correction filters. Then instead of BEQ'ing each and every movie individually, we could choose one of the 4 presets that come closest. The option would still be there of course to manually input filters for each specific movie if need be.
Everyone will have to make their own adjustments/presets based on their own room and their subs capabilities. (why REW is an integral part)
There isn't much point adding +20dB Low Shelf Boost at 10Hz on a small ported sub that's limited to 18Hz in a 4000^3 space ;)

·
Registered
733 Posts
All this BEQ talk really has me interested... especially when it comes to these Marvel/Disney movies.

If all I cared about was boosting my single sub in the low ranges to improve these movies, would the regular miniDSP be enough or would I need the miniDSP HD? I'm a little unclear on what the difference is between them.

Reactions: Oldways7

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
BassEQ The Avengers (2012) Atmos

Was testing this with and without BEQ to get a feel for the difference. After a few rounds back and forth on some early scenes, I got caught up watching with BEQ on and ended up almost watching the whole thing. The difference with BEQ on this is incredible. It becomes demo worthy.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
BEQ Shot Caller (2017) TrueHD 5.1

LS 14Hz Q1.0 4.1dB x 5 (20.5dB total)

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
BassEQ Underworld: Blood Wars (2016) Atmos

DTS-HD MA 5.1:

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
BassEQ Demo Clips

Important Notes:

Each of these contains two tracks, with and without BassEQ, so that you can switch back and forth while playing to compare. Which track plays by default will vary by player!

These are reduced in level to prevent clipping. The filenames will tell you by how much. You should increase your MV by that amount if you want it to play at a normal level.

4K HDR
Atomic Blonde BassEQ Demo Scene (UHD, PCM 7.1)
Ready Player One BassEQ Demo Clip (UHD, PCM 7.1)
The Meg BassEQ Demo Clip (UHD, PCM 7.1)

1080p
Unbroken BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 7.1)
Finding Nemo BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 7.1)
First Man BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 7.1)
Olympus Has Fallen BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 5.1)
Flight of the Phoenix BassEQ Demo Scene (PCM 5.1)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The Avengers BEQ (Atmos)

LS 12Hz Q0.8 4dB x 4 (16dB total)

Update: Was testing this with and without BEQ to get a feel for the difference. After a few rounds back and forth on some early scenes, I got caught up watching with BEQ on and ended up almost watching the whole thing. The difference with BEQ on this is incredible. It becomes demo worthy.

just want to confirm with you, the 4dB x 4 (16dB total) means that you applied 4 times LS filter at same 12Hz?

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
BassEQ Predator (1987) DTS-HD MA 5.1

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
just want to confirm with you, the 4dB x 4 (16dB total) means that you applied 4 times LS filter at same 12Hz?
Yes, I did a lot of testing and came to the conclusion that 4 cascaded filters at Q0.9 allows an even steeper shelf than a single bigger shelf at Q1.1, and with far less overshoot. This will become my norm going forward.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
BassEQ Avengers: Infinity War (2018) Atmos

1 - 20 of 15799 Posts