AVS Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 15067 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
@aron7awol The Nun looks like it hits like a Mack truck into the low teens, so probably not much BEQ needed but now we’re spoiled and it does leave one curious what’s buried below filters.... The original graph is post # 12,253 in the bass movie thread.

Thanks!

Reactions: aron7awol

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
The intent was (is) to provide some way to share the fruits of our labour directly but I haven't had time to do this. Of course the software is open so anyone can do as like like with it. Any similarly open initiative gets my vote though.

Q is how do people envisage consuming such content? I suspect the ideal would be

* Find beq for film
* Send beq to device
* Kick back and enjoy the film

Agree or not?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The intent was (is) to provide some way to share the fruits of our labour directly but I haven't had time to do this. Of course the software is open so anyone can do as like like with it. Any similarly open initiative gets my vote though.

Q is how do people envisage consuming such content? I suspect the ideal would be

* Find beq for film
* Send beq to device

Agree or not?
Yep, that's how I dooze it!

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
@aron7awol The Nun looks like it hits like a Mack truck into the low teens, so probably not much BEQ needed but now we’re spoiled and it does leave one curious what’s buried below filters.... The original graph is post #12253 in the bass movie thread.

Thanks!
I'm on vacation in another country for the week but I should have some time tonight to do it.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Chasing ULF could have been considered a waste when there was only a handful of movies with content that hit single digits,

and even then it was only a small portion of the films total run time. (EoT, Pulse, BHD)

But with BEQ making almost every title a 5 Star Bass flick down to Single Digits now ...chasing ULF is paying off in Spades.

...and No, it doesn't take a room full of 18" drivers in refrigerator sized enclosures to get it.

You don't have to have a dedicated space, or worry about WAF or DIY at all.

All you need to add to your current setup is a miniDSP and a pair of Crowson Motion Actuators to get down to 5Hz.

It's hard to imagine or accept that something so small could have such a Huge Impact (pun intended) until witnessed first hand.

I ordered mine 100% on reputation and the praises of fellow AVS members I respect and trusted.

Although still somewhat skeptical until I played "A Quiet Place" and it forever changed the way I experience ULF.

I love my Funk Audio Subs, but where they give up at 10Hz, the Crowson's Dig significantly lower and provide more Direct Tactile down to 5Hz

and I don't have to worry about shaking the entire house and disturbing the neighbors when playing reference levels late at night now.

Start with one if you're on a budget ($500) and a cheap 200wattt amp and it will equal or Better most any ID Sub for ULF with 10x more output and 5x higher $$$$

Even I was skeptical at first, but in hindsight I probably should have bought those before spending a TON more on my Funk Audio 18.0's

Yes, they are Just That Good!

Have been thinking about transducers even before BEQ was around but stayed away as it looked complicated, I am not at all handy but now tempted to look into it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I'm on vacation in another country for the week but I should have some time tonight to do it.

Wow man, enjoy your vacation, don’t worry about it! I’m off this week too but just on a staycation so figured I’d try and do something constructive in this cool weather and input the BEQ’s. I hope they work for most people. I wouldn’t have anything to do without all your hard work, and props again to the BEQ program designer, and Pio for starting this thread.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It looks like the miniDSP is controllable via USB. Using USB spy software, it should be possible to decipher the protocol used by the miniDSP to configure it. Next would be to replicate the protocol on a Raspberry Pi device, which could then be connected over wi-fi to a serverless cloud-backend where the BEQ files are stored. This would allow control of the miniDSP to be mostly automated, except for the selection of which film to BEQ. One could either use a mobile app or simply host a small webpage on the Raspberry Pi for this. Alternatively, Kaleidescape owners could go a step further by having the Raspberry Pi read the current movie being played on their Strato player.

Of course, this is much easier to say than to do! :D

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I checked out the updated BEQ for Justice League and compared them since I still had the older version saved. Nice BEQ update Aron for better ULF!!

Also checked out the bleacher stomps at the beginning of the movie in The Greatest Showman with BEQ. First time to try BEQ on this one. I think the bleacher stomps are fantastic on their own and pretty violent in the bass and TR department, but BEQ brought it up even more. It added quite a bit of weight and fullness to the stomps with the big 10hz LS boosts. This one is amazing in my opinion and always made me a bit afraid for my room when cranking this one up, especially now with the added ultra low end.

And last but not least lol, I checked out parts or Life (with BEQ of course! :)) I'd already scene it a while back (non Atmos version) and know what happens so I skipped around a bit to get a feel for the Atmos track and bass with BEQ. WOW! What an enveloping Atmos track and damn nice bass to boot that digs deep. Now I'm gonna have to watch the whole thing if for no other reason than to really enjoy such an engaging well done Atmos mix and BEQ'd bass :cool:

These movies (or even just parts of them that have already been seen) are just so fun the check out with BEQ! :D

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

* Find beq for film
* Send beq to device

Agree or not?
Agree, that's how I do it.

What I want to work on this month is automating the sharing bit for miniDSP HD users. What I'm envisioning right now is an app that will load the git repo, merge the BEQ with any house filters that the user provides, and then gives them the final BEQ save file to send to device. I have the technical end of it laid out in my head now and need to start implementing it and working on the workflow.

It would be great if down the line it could also talk to the miniDSP but I don't know if that's possible.

I've been thinking of doing it as it's own app to keep it simple for most users and not bloat BEQ Designer. I'm open to integrating it though if that's preferred by everyone.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I think it is not a technical problem (to merge sets of filters), it is a usability one for non technical users. Put another way, if you manage filters in a structured way then merging some other set in is easy, if you don't then it is not so easy.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
BassEQ The Nun (2018) Atmos

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Wow man, enjoy your vacation, don’t worry about it! I’m off this week too but just on a staycation so figured I’d try and do something constructive in this cool weather and input the BEQ’s. I hope they work for most people. I wouldn’t have anything to do without all your hard work, and props again to the BEQ program designer, and Pio for starting this thread.
All good, man, I'm happy to do it for you. I know what it's like doing 400 BEQs so I really appreciate the big contribution to the community you are making in entering all of them and getting into the MiniDSP format. I started saving the BEQ Designer projects as I do them, but I didn't do that at the beginning so I don't have all of them saved in that format. I love the community in this thread. It really is the best thread on AVS.

Being on vacation is nice but I miss my system so doing a few BEQs while I'm here is the closest thing I can get to bass around here!

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
@aron7awol: don’t know if you missed it, forgot it, don’t have it or the backlog is full, but how about this one?
Sorry for not doing it yet. I am running low on disk space, that's the only thing that's stopped me. I need to buy another 8TB drive when I get back home.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
^^ I would like to do something similar to create movies beq database for jriver users but do not know how I can extract/export the peq filters to be imported back in. Please let me know how if you do know, Dood/anyone? so that I can contribute to this great community thread. TIA.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
^^ I would like to do something similar to create movies beq database for jriver users but do not know how I can extract/export the peq filters to be imported back in. Please let me know how if you do know, Dood/anyone? so that I can contribute to this great community thread. TIA.
Jriver does not currently provide a way to manipulate this directly, you just have to add/remove them manually (unless you want to hack into the save files). If they did then the app would already be capable of inputting this directly :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I checked out the updated BEQ for Justice League and compared them since I still had the older version saved. Nice BEQ update Aron for better ULF!!

Also checked out the bleacher stomps at the beginning of the movie in The Greatest Showman with BEQ. First time to try BEQ on this one. I think the bleacher stomps are fantastic on their own and pretty violent in the bass and TR department, but BEQ brought it up even more. It added quite a bit of weight and fullness to the stomps with the big 10hz LS boosts. This one is amazing in my opinion and always made me a bit afraid for my room when cranking this one up, especially now with the added ultra low end.

And last but not least lol, I checked out parts or Life (with BEQ of course! :)) I'd already scene it a while back (non Atmos version) and know what happens so I skipped around a bit to get a feel for the Atmos track and bass with BEQ. WOW! What an enveloping Atmos track and damn nice bass to boot that digs deep. Now I'm gonna have to watch the whole thing if for no other reason than to really enjoy such an engaging well done Atmos mix and BEQ'd bass :cool:

These movies (or even just parts of them that have already been seen) are just so fun the check out with BEQ! :D
Just wanted to add.... to anyone with Crowson's you need to try out the greatest showman (with OR without BEQ it's great both ways). It's my favorite movie in terms to what the crowson's add to date.

Reactions: SBuger

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Jriver does not currently provide a way to manipulate this directly, you just have to add/remove them manually (unless you want to hack into the save files). If they did then the app would already be capable of inputting this directly :)
Dang, I was afraid of this. I will request jriver to have the ability to export/import peq over there. Hopefully, they can do this in the near future updates. Currently I can back up my library and it has all of my saved peq filters but it also includes everything else in my entire library. Perhaps, I can try to hack the file if you can provide some guidances and it’s not too complicated. Thanks.

2761 - 2780 of 15067 Posts