AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 16133 Posts

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I feel like I need write some sort of BEQ FAQ to cover some important topics at some point...

1. Is BEQ dangerous?

I totally understand the fear of asking a sub to do too much and blowing it up. I also understand people thinking, "OMGZ, 20-30dB boost down into the teens and single digits! My sub is now a smoke machine!" Those boosts do look really scary, without the proper context.

I think the important thing is not to look at it like we're boosting our subs by 20-30dB. We're really not. We're boosting super-low level content within the mix by 20-30dB to bring it back up to normal levels that exist in content that is readily available and played on those same subs every day without batting an eye. That goes for huge subs, tiny subs, ported subs, sealed subs, subs of all shapes and sizes. Even the guy with the 10" sub should be able to BEQ without any fear of breaking his sub. Granted, he won't get much benefit if his sub only digs down to 25Hz, and that might be a reason for him not to bother with BEQ, but danger should not be.

Now, all that being said, if you do something ignorant/stupid/forgetful and leave the shelves enabled and play War of the Worlds, that's another story. But that's not any more irresponsible than running your 10" sub 20dB hot with a house curve and no HPF. Any full-bandwidth content will be doing the same kind of damage at that point. So for the newbies, tread carefully, study up, read the FAQ that doesn't exist yet, make sure you know what you're doing, and then there's nothing to be afraid of. Jump in with two feet. The water's warm. Actually, it's blistering hot, because if you're reading this thread, that's how you like your bass!
Thanks Aron, Good work my friend!
...added a link to your FAQ post on the OP right near the WARNING label.

Feel free to add more as concerns/questions come up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well I did it... I ordered a minidsp hd. Coming Sunday. Excited to try it out on Infinity War when it comes out Tuesday!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
BassEQ G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) DTS-HD MA 5.1

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
BassEQ G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) TrueHD 7.1

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
BassEQ Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) Atmos

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
@aron7awol I am going to experiment with adapting your A:AoU BEQ for EQs with the 20Hz limit.

In the meanwhile, what are the effects of simply applying the filters at 20Hz [in your estimation]?
"LS 20Hz Q0.9 4dB x 4"
The frequency specified for the LS is the midpoint of the shelf. So in that case your shelf will be +8dB @ 20Hz. This means your shelf will be boosting more than mine, and I'm already boosting it to pretty much flat.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hmm, I tried out GotG2 with the following from the other thread and I didn't really notice a difference:

Low shelf q 0.7 +5.3db x3

Maybe I'll have better luck with Infinity war on Tuesday with the settings posted here. I just enter it for the input of the active config right? Can't really do it wrong unless it's supposed to be input into the output.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Hmm, I tried out GotG2 with the following from the other thread and I didn't really notice a difference:

Low shelf q 0.7 +5.3db x3

Maybe I'll have better luck with Infinity war on Tuesday with the settings posted here. I just enter it for the input of the active config right? Can't really do it wrong unless it's supposed to be input into the output.
Can you post a screenshot of how you're entering them? Maybe I can spot something that's off.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Avengers: Infinity War (Atmos) BEQ

LS 16Hz Q0.8 3.5dB x 4 (14dB total)

Can't wait to watch this one this weekend!
Finally watched this last night. I'd say it's not a top notch 5 star bass flick, but with this BEQ it was great overall, and had plenty of impact. Much better than without BEQ.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Can you post a screenshot of how you're entering them? Maybe I can spot something that's off.
Sure thing. I was a little unsure about my changes to the output. I did set everything to bypass including something in my second screenshot which is maybe incorrect.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sure thing. I was a little unsure about my changes to the output. I did set everything to bypass including something in my second screenshot which is maybe incorrect.
Yea that would be a big part of the problem if you click "Bypass", Lol. (Only kidding of course, we all have to figure it out in the beginning) But from the looks of it the EQ filters are not bypassed but the crossovers are. It looks like it says "bypassed" when "bypass" is engaged.

Bypass does what it sounds like and bypasses any processing in that pane. So by clicking "bypass" it applies no filters at all in that pane. Same with the crossover tab, pressing bypass applies no crossovers in that tab/pane. That is why the highlighted orange line is straight through the crossover tab and the slopes are there but greyed out. Click bypass again in the crossover tab and you will see the slopes highlighted instead of the strait orange line.

Clicking "bypass" in the Eq tab should flatten the highlighted orange line out instead of being sloped like it is in your pic. It looks like the Eq filters are on in the pic.

Edit: From looking a 2nd time at the second pic you will want to leave the crossovers "bypassed" as they are now, because you have not set them to any specific values and they are at the default 1000hz "cut off freq". But if you did need those filters you would set the "cut off freq" the click "bypass" to engage them.

Reactions: PioManiac

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah i just wanted my avr to handle the crossovers so i figured i wanted it bypassed. I was screwing around with the output because i first thought the settings were entered there and at one point i lost all my bass so I started messing with the crossovers. What a tangled web i got myself in :D glad to hear it's likely an issue on my end.

Should high pass filter still be bypassed? That's the default.

Reactions: biga6761

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I finally got my new laptop ready to roll for BEQ, a fresh REW download,
UMIK-1 calibration file, plugged into my AVR's front panel HDMI port, and my first REW sweep in about 2 years :eek:

a few more pic's here: Whisky Guitar Lounge

as you can see I have a boost on my low end already (pretty generous house curve) +10dB ~14Hz
.. and still have yet to get my new miniDSP 2x4HD integrated into my system to even a few things out (next weekend for sure!)

Then onto BEQ with an Avengers Triple Feature on Saturday

(4K/UHD Steelbooks on the way for The Avengers/Age of Ultron/Infinity War)

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but do I have to be careful if implementing someones BEQ settings
that may have been created with a more Flat EQ on the Low end?

My dual Funk 18.0's should be good down to 10Hz, and slightly lower in-room,
But I suspect they might need a voltage bump on my Yamaha AVR's Sub pre-out ( 1.0Vrms)
up to 2.0V that I can do in the miniDSP 2x4HD with a "jumper"?

:cool:

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Yeah i just wanted my avr to handle the crossovers so i figured i wanted it bypassed. I was screwing around with the output because i first thought the settings were entered there and at one point i lost all my bass so I started messing with the crossovers. What a tangled web i got myself in :D glad to hear it's likely an issue on my end.

Should high pass filter still be bypassed? That's the default.
In your case it looks like you are only using a single input and a single output. If that is true, then it really doesn't matter if you enter the settings in the input or the output. I use the input myself because I use two outputs and by using the input I only have to enter them in one place.

The rest of your settings look okay to me. If you want to confirm that they are having the effect you are expecting, you can use the USB streaming capability and do sweeps using REW.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Does the miniDSP stuff ever go on sale?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but do I have to be careful if implementing someones BEQ settings
that may have been created with a more Flat EQ on the Low end?

My dual Funk 18.0's should be good down to 10Hz, and slightly lower in-room,
But I suspect they might need a voltage bump on my Yamaha AVR's Sub pre-out ( 1.0Vrms)
up to 2.0V that I can do in the miniDSP 2x4HD with a "jumper"?
I wouldn't be concerned at all as long as your system can handle everything you've thrown at it to date, knowing that you've been around these parts for a while and I'm confident you've pushed your system using the known bass monster flicks. As for my BEQs, my goal is always to push the peaks up so that they are relatively flat with no house curve built into them. You could say The Hurricane Heist graph is my reference, and pretty much my goal post-BEQ for each film. I run my subs 8dB hot with a house curve down to 10Hz, so I'm asking a lot of my subs, but even with BEQ I'm not asking them for more than I do when I play the most demanding films out there.

The jumper on the 2x4 HD adjusts the input voltage between 2V and 4V, but doesn't change the output (2V). If you set the jumper to 4V input you are simply attenuating the signal to half of what it came in at, which seems like the opposite of what you're trying to do. Your Yamaha AVR maxes out at 1V output? If so, you could always use the general gain in the MiniDSP to bump your signal, but I'm not sure that's actually something you want to do. I don't suspect voltage to be the cause of your 10Hz dip. I'd try a close mic sweep of each sub to get a better idea of what their output looks like without as much influence from the room.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I wouldn't be concerned at all as long as your system can handle everything you've thrown at it to date, knowing that you've been around these parts for a while and I'm confident you've pushed your system using the known bass monster flicks. As for my BEQs, my goal is always to push the peaks up so that they are relatively flat with no house curve built into them. You could say The Hurricane Heist graph is my reference, and pretty much my goal post-BEQ for each film. I run my subs 8dB hot with a house curve down to 10Hz, so I'm asking a lot of my subs, but even with BEQ I'm not asking them for more than I do when I play the most demanding films out there.

The jumper on the 2x4 HD adjusts the input voltage between 2V and 4V, but doesn't change the output (2V). If you set the jumper to 4V input you are simply attenuating the signal to half of what it came in at, which seems like the opposite of what you're trying to do. Your Yamaha AVR maxes out at 1V output? If so, you could always use the general gain in the MiniDSP to bump your signal, but I'm not sure that's actually something you want to do. I don't suspect voltage to be the cause of your 10Hz dip. I'd try a close mic sweep of each sub to get a better idea of what their output looks like without as much influence from the room.
Yes, I'm very happy with my results with all the bass monsters flicks so far
and tend to let my ears (and my ass) tell me things don't really need anymore tweaking.

It's funny how a quick graph makes you second guess what your ears are telling you though.
The Funk amplifiers do have their own AllDSP Hardware (and Software) that I've barely touched.

I may shoot Nathan (at Funk Audio) an email next week, from what I've heard,
He's pretty good at reading REW results and making ALLDSP adjustments on-line
to better integrate his subs with my room, my speakers and my other subs.

Thanks'

:)

·
Registered
737 Posts
In your case it looks like you are only using a single input and a single output. If that is true, then it really doesn't matter if you enter the settings in the input or the output. I use the input myself because I use two outputs and by using the input I only have to enter them in one place.

The rest of your settings look okay to me. If you want to confirm that they are having the effect you are expecting, you can use the USB streaming capability and do sweeps using REW.
Thanks. It's possible the BEQ on GOTG2 just isn't that good. In the other thread they typically make adjustments to all speakers so when I adjust just the LFE I don't get the full effect. I'll mess with it more on Tuesday when I try your BEQ for Infinity war. Any stand out scenes with your BEQ that would be easy to A/B test?

41 - 60 of 16133 Posts