9301 - 9320 of 15120 Posts

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
BassEQ Hot Fuzz (2007) DTS:X

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
All this Crowsons talk makes me regret not grabbing a pair last year when I had the funds!! I'm trying to go for the BOSS first as it's more within my reach at the moment. Just waiting for the 3 drivers to go on sale...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
All this Crowsons talk makes me regret not grabbing a pair last year when I had the funds!! I'm trying to go for the BOSS first as it's more within my reach at the moment. Just waiting for the 3 drivers to go on sale...
Dumb question, but what is a boss? Another transducer? I tried googling but nothing appropriate.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I hate you guys. Such bad influences. I just ordered the rest of the divers for the BOSSac 2.0. I probably won't start building right away though. Still way too hot here. Once the weather breaks it's on though.
@DesertDog - your comment about bad influences brings me back to the comments below from when you turned me on to the BOSS here in the BEQ thread. Of which I am eternally grateful!!!!

A rabbit hole followed by a hidden caverns leading deeper and deeper.... all worth it though.
Next phase down in the movie room is to change out the Aura Shakers in the couch for Butt Kickers. My first born is all grown up so I cant sell her to pay for Crowson's. I think the Aura's are good to twenty hz. Some day soon the single digits shall arrive.
Take a look a making a BOSS before doing any of that. They're great bang for the buck and mines good down to single digits.
Now here it 4 months from when you turned me onto the BOSS, and the sickness has just grown:D:D:D I'm now on my BOSS v4.5(see pic below) and still planning more.

I'll end with similar to what @Sekosche said... Hello, my name is Kevin, I'm a TR junkie!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Yup, and that's more than enough for now,
not spending much time in the man-cave over the past couple months.

Big changes are on the horizon, old GF and I split quite a while ago, (like years ago) but still living in the same home, that's going up for sale soon.
New GF (one who actually Loves Movies with Bass) and I are making plans for a great future together next Spring. We've got some major travel plans over the Winter months,
Then it's on to HT ver 2.0

:)
I'm really happy for you, brother!

I'm planning a similar sort of project myself. I'm currently thinking a separate foundation connected via airlock to the house, built from the ground up with soundproofing and ultra-low noise floor in mind, sparing no expense and applying all of my experience so far while hopefully learning more along the way! I'm gonna have to make a thread in the Dedicated Theater thread to get the super-knowledgeable guys over there to help with ideas and execution in those areas I'm not all that familiar with.

This likely means my 12' high subs will be getting chopped up, but that's okay, you know the new theater won't be lacking bass or TR! Exciting stuff!

WOW, guys that is awsome news! So exciting to hear and should be fun to follow and i really hope you both let us in on the progresss in build threads coming up :)
CONGRATS to both ;)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
A pair costs about the same as the subs, but they bring at least 100x the impact, no joke. They are a tremendous value even at that price. It's just like DIY subs, some people DIY them to save money, others pay to just get them delivered to them. The BOSS is the DIY path to TR and will save money, while Crowsons come in a small box in the mail and you can slide them under the legs of your couch. They are both well worth the money and/or time, that's for sure.
Expensive yes! But well worth it! My subs play to single digits but crowsons have much more impact at reference levels and makes my system feel like I have extra subs in the space. Not to mention buying extra subs will cost more than the crowsons and still won't get the TR of single digits as crowsons either!
So let's talk about Crowsons vs. BOSS. I went back to the original BOSS build at the Hideaway Theater, and at it's most basic, it's a piece of plywood with some holes, JBL drivers, isolators, and maybe some carpeting to give it a clean look. And of course, an amp. It's so stupid simple, I might not duff it up (primarily because I wouldn't feel bad asking my neighbor to cut the holes for me :p ). I'd conflated it in my mind with some of the bigger riser builds which, while not much more complicated, include more than one piece of wood, and hence go well beyond my prowess. The Crowsons are so easy, the generate no anxiety for me, other than the price.

So the question is, from a purely performance perspective, is one better than the other? Just skimming the TR thread has me thinking BOSS is probably the place to start.

I don't plan to do anything quite yet, but as I was typing out this response, I received a text from my wife that led to a literal LOL and reminded me why some sort of active TR device would be beneficial. For reference, I was watching Winter Soldier BEQ last night:

The Wife said:
What were you watching last night? Earthquake Simulator? Rockers Blasting Off: The Movie?
To her credit, she didn't give me a hard time about it, and she's more amused than anything today, but I'm feeling a bit guilty that I may have kept her up when she had to go meet with her clients today.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^°^°^°^
And what did you think of Winter Soldier with BEQ?

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
^°^°^°^
And what did you think of Winter Soldier with BEQ?
I liked it quite a bit. The bass did not feel boosted, like I was concerned it would. It was very natural. I've watched the blu ray a bunch of times, and I know the sound very well. Last night was the first time I watched the UHD with the Atmos track. I don't have Atmos in my theater yet, but the Dolby track definitely sounds different than the DTS-HD MA track. Right off the bat, it's down about 7 dB, which is easy enough to correct. But beyond that, my sense was that it was different. How much of that was BEQ vs. Disney going in and making changes, I just don't know.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
@DesertDog - your comment about bad influences brings me back to the comments below from when you turned me on to the BOSS here in the BEQ thread. Of which I am eternally grateful!!!!

I'll end with similar to what @Sekosche said... Hello, my name is Kevin, I'm a TR junkie!!!
Just to be clear, I never said I wasn't a bad influence either. Actually, Aron, d00d, Pio, and myself aren't bad influences, we're dealers.

Come on in take a seat next to me
You know we got
We got what you need
We may be liars preaching to choirs but we can
We can sell your dreams

:D

So let's talk about Crowsons vs. BOSS. I went back to the original BOSS build at the Hideaway Theater, and at it's most basic, it's a piece of plywood with some holes, JBL drivers, isolators, and maybe some carpeting to give it a clean look. And of course, an amp. It's so stupid simple, I might not duff it up (primarily because I wouldn't feel bad asking my neighbor to cut the holes for me :p ). I'd conflated it in my mind with some of the bigger riser builds which, while not much more complicated, include more than one piece of wood, and hence go well beyond my prowess. The Crowsons are so easy, the generate no anxiety for me, other than the price.

So the question is, from a purely performance perspective, is one better than the other? Just skimming the TR thread has me thinking BOSS is probably the place to start.

I don't plan to do anything quite yet, but as I was typing out this response, I received a text from my wife that led to a literal LOL and reminded me why some sort of active TR device would be beneficial. For reference, I was watching Winter Soldier BEQ last night:
They perform slightly differently in what they produce. @Nalleh can probably give the best summation of the strength and weakness of both. Between them I'd start with a BOSS if you have neighbor that can help cut the plywood for you. It's an order of magnitude cheaper to get started with and can be used as the basis to expend in the future to Crowsons or BKs. Think of it as your gateway drug. ;)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

One thing consistently reported about BOSS builds over the last 7 months of its life…it’s a natural and commanding experience. I think it’s because BOSS is using a subwoofer to reproduce single digit ULF content when cone excursion is greatest in an open baffle. Also, because it’s a speaker-based solution, it can extend into the higher octaves of LFE naturally to re-produce those important harmonics that are present in any explosion, gun shot, or violent event.

The BOSS is probably one of the easiest builds on AVS….the only tools needed are a pencil, tape measure, drill and reciprocating saw. If your cuts are off by a 1/8” no biggie. The drill is only needed if you want to hide the wires and not have them exposed on top of the platform.

Also, as DesertDog stated....a BOSS can be used as a "gateway" into additional TR if one can't fight the addiction. The BOSS platform will enhance any other TR device in your setup....from far field and near field subs to more direct TR devices such as BK's or MA's. The former providing passive TR from indirect sound waves from the far field and near field subs washing over the platform. The latter devices provide additional active movement of the BOSS platform and the chairs on top when combined with BOSS.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
@Kevnmin - that V4.5 BOSS platform is pretty wicked looking that you posted a couple posts up with all those drivers!! Plus some other goodies with BKs and whatnot ....AWESOME!!!

Yeah I think you might just be an addict too!!! :D

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I'm certainly tempted myself, I'm wondering if it will replace my Buttkicker LFEs or compliment them...
I think there is about 5-6 of us around here now (that I'm aware of ATM) that find the BK LFE's can and do compliment the BOSS really well. I find BK LFEs are kind of a mixture of Crowson MAs and BOSS (minus the under 10hz stuff that BKs aren't good at) with a bit of their own flavor as well, plus can be absolute powerhouses when multiples of them are ran.

The key with any TR devises though (even both amazing MAs and BOSS), especially when multiple TR devises are ran together, is good integration with levels, phase, timing and all that to avoid feeling gimmicky and out of place. They can all be great on their own or combined with some good settings.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I think there is about 5-6 of us around here now (that I'm aware of ATM) that find the BK LFE's can and do compliment the BOSS really well. I find BK LFEs are kind of a mixture of Crowson MAs and BOSS (minus the under 10hz stuff that BKs aren't good at) with a bit of their own flavor as well, plus can be absolute powerhouses when multiples of them are ran.

The key with any TR devises though (even both amazing MAs and BOSS), especially when multiple TR devises are ran together, is good integration with levels, phase, timing and all that to avoid feeling gimmicky and out of place. They can all be great on their own or combined with some good settings.

Well it's the under 10Hz bit I was interested in, is the BOSS good for that? As I'm not willing to shell out for MAs :p
At the same time, if the BOSS can replace the BKs, that'd save me money...

I reckon I can probably fit 2 drivers under my sofa :D

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
BassEQ Hot Fuzz (2007) DTS:X

Sad to see the 4k disk get butchered when the original was done so well. Not that it matters with BEQ!

My wife and I absolutely love this movie. Anytime we hear the phrase, "the greater good", we are compelled to repeat it in a monotone/chanting voice.
@Archaea

It's time for BEQ my friend. :D

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Well it's the under 10Hz bit I was interested in, is the BOSS good for that? As I'm not willing to shell out for MAs :p

In my setup below 10hz it's real close. I would give a slight edge to the Crowsons vs BOSS. Above 10hz it's not close, BOSS > Crowsons. I know you were asking about BK but thought I'd give my impresssions just in case.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

I would rank best/most capable and powerful under 10hz in this order:

1. Crowson MAs (unbeatable under 10hz from what I’ve found)
2. BOSS (12’s pretty capable but bigger drivers gets better for under 10hz)
3. 18” sealed VNF sub (can be pretty darn strong to about 10-12hz but not as much so under 10hz)
4. BK LFEs (just kind of make noise and don’t give much good feel under 10hz, so basically worthless in this department).

I was so excited about trying the BOSS that I went in with maybe even thinking/hoping I could sell my Crowson MAsa and put the $ towards a 4k PJ or something. And well ….you see what happened, I ended up keeping and running ALL together LOL :D

They can all be so good in their own way and is part of the reason combing can be so effective.

But yeah try two drivers for BOSS, you may love it and find that’s all you need :) :cool: Then you can sell your BK LFE’s to me :D

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I would rank best/most capable and powerful under 10hz in this order:

1. Crowson MAs (unbeatable under 10hz from what I’ve found)
2. BOSS (12’s pretty capable but bigger drivers gets better for under 10hz)
3. 18” sealed VNF sub (can be pretty darn strong to about 10-12hz but not as much so under 10hz)
4. BK LFEs (just kind of make noise and don’t give much good feel under 10hz, so basically worthless in this department).

I was so excited about trying the BOSS that I went in with maybe even thinking/hoping I could sell my Crowson MAsa and put the $ towards a 4k PJ or something. And well ….you see what happened, I ended up keeping and running ALL together LOL :D

They can all be so good in their own way and is part of the reason combing can be so effective.

But yeah try two drivers for BOSS, you may love it and find that’s all you need :) :cool: Then you can sell your BK LFE’s to me :D

Ha! I thought I would be selling my Crowsons too. I love the combo for music where I run both BOSS and Crowson wide open with no filter and for movies I run the BOSS with no filter and cross the Crowsons at 12 hz with a 48 db slope and crank the s*** out of it.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
^^^^ NICE!!! :) :cool: :cool: :)

9301 - 9320 of 15120 Posts