AVS Forum banner

9741 - 9760 of 15578 Posts

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Looks like spider-man far from home is out in lossless atmos....:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I thought I'd try to redeem myself a bit with the Miss Bala blunder. I felt so bad when I saw ....

@SuperFist - No worries on my end. I take as a bit of learning curve on my end too. Pretty important to heed warnings as well as to reading the graphs for how hot they may be. I generally run MV @-20, this one I purposely ran at -25 for safety. Only heard the JBL's in the BOSS barely bottom once or twice. Thankfully I use the compressor function in the Mini-DSP to put a limiter to prevent any hard hits. Mains subs handled it just fine.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
BassEQ Warrior (2019) Season 1 Amazon DD+

·
Registered
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
@PioManiac It looks like Into the Badlands S03 made the list but not S01 and S02

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
BTW, anyone have any comments on the 29dB combined filter height / depth limit on the miniDSP? I've had to revisit some of my higher recovery filters and figure out how to get a result. I've often had to switch to PEQ rather than LS as you can limit the frequency range the PEQ affects where LS just ramps to 0Hz. Most I've been able to redo, but some I can't get as much.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
BTW, anyone have any comments on the 29dB combined filter height / depth limit on the miniDSP? I've had to revisit some of my higher recovery filters and figure out how to get a result. I've often had to switch to PEQ rather than LS as you can limit the frequency range the PEQ affects where LS just ramps to 0Hz. Most I've been able to redo, but some I can't get as much.
All I can say is that I've never encountered any sort of limit like that. I think I saw you post that you had the same issue with 29dB of negative filters as well? And the issue manifests itself as noise?

·
Registered
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
All I can say is that I've never encountered any sort of limit like that. I think I saw you post that you had the same issue with 29dB of negative filters as well? And the issue manifests itself as noise?
Doesn't even need to be any negatives, but Thursday night I loaded a filter that was
PEQ 30, Q2, Gain 10
LS 30, Q0.8, Gain 16, Qty 2

And I was getting a loud hum out of the subwoofer, and my AVR was off, only the miniDSP was on, and the subs. I could look at miniDSP and with no input showing, it was showing output levels of around -60dB. I was able to reproduce this a lot of times with several curves that went over height of 30. I was looking on and off yesterday on my breaks looking at curves and saw it a lot of times. I even restarted the miniDSP a few times.

Now oddly I just tried the same filter this morning and it is fine. BUT I can still get it to occur for more aggressive filters like my first cut for The Wolfman, it showing noise at about -35dB on the output screen. So the one attached below. But the one I initially had issues with Thursday night is now OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
^^^

It sounds to me like the normally low-level noise/hum of your system is getting boosted to the point of being audible, but I wouldn't expect noise to suddenly appear at +29dB but not exist at +28dB.

I've taken steps to reduce noise/hum in my system by wiring the amps/AVR chassis together with ground wires, as well as putting a noise filter on my cable TV coax connection. Perhaps you need to do similar.

Also, if you're hearing the hum, that would suggest the hum is >30Hz, so using PEQ rather than LS in order to avoid boost in the single digits wouldn't seem to rectify this issue.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
^^^

It sounds to me like the normally low-level noise/hum of your system is getting boosted to the point of being audible, but I wouldn't expect noise to suddenly appear at +29dB but not exist at +28dB.

I've taken steps to reduce noise/hum in my system by wiring the amps/AVR chassis together with ground wires, as well as putting a noise filter on my cable TV coax connection. Perhaps you need to do similar.

Also, if you're hearing the hum, that would suggest the hum is >30Hz, so using PEQ rather than LS in order to avoid boost in the single digits wouldn't seem to rectify this issue.
Hmm, interesting. So if I took off the inputs to the miniDSP I wouldn't hear anything, so I'm possibly hearing some underlying mains noise.

In this setting I heard it though, everything was in standby other than miniDSP and subs.

I will retest with miniDSP unconnected. And report back.

Any grounding you can do on the miniDSP to the AVR?

I don't actually have any RF inputs, just power, and hard LAN connections. And I've just the one AVR AMP. Actually after today Ill have the second amp, the Behringer NX3000D, for the Crowson setup. I'll check on the back of both for ground points I can use.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Any grounding you can do on the miniDSP to the AVR?
I'm not sure, actually, the mDSP is the only thing I don't have grounded to the AVR.

I have a 6000DSP, two NX3000Ds, and an AMP100VS, all wired from their chassis to the AVR "SIGNAL GND" connector.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
^
measure it with an RTA to verify the frequency of the hum and then decide what to do next

I've also had noise issues in the past that were ameliorated by restructuring gain, in my case it seemed to be noise propagated by my server which sits in the same rack as the amps & hence sending a much hotter signal out of my audio interface and attenuating at the amps sorted that out

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
^
measure it with an RTA to verify the frequency of the hum and then decide what to do next

I've also had noise issues in the past that were ameliorated by restructuring gain, in my case it seemed to be noise propagated by my server which sits in the same rack as the amps & hence sending a much hotter signal out of my audio interface and attenuating at the amps sorted that out
Interesting.

I might try a separate power noise filter for the miniDSP PSU too.

I've got no server gear, although my actual wifi / router is next to the amp. But other than that, everything there is disc players, appleTV, AVR, miniDSP, subs, and soon a Behringer NX3000D

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Ah so THAT is what MV means. I thought it was some tech thing with millivolts. I had no idea what that meant...
Yes, the MV is based on reference level. So lets assume you listen to -10 below reference normally......and if you see gain -2 MV it means turn down your whole system down 2 db since its mixed 2 db hotter than normal. So in that case based on your -10 you will watch it -12.

Same goes for Gain +2 MV it means you need to turn up your master volume on avr/prepro 2 db since its mixed 2db softer. The whole point of Gain is to keep same levels as all films.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Yes, the MV is based on reference level. So lets assume you listen to -10 below reference normally......and if you see gain -2 MV it means turn down your whole system down 2 db since its mixed 2 db hotter than normal. So in that case based on your -10 you will watch it -12.

Same goes for Gain +2 MV it means you need to turn up your master volume on avr/prepro 2 db since its mixed 2db softer. The whole point of Gain is to keep same levels as all films.
Ah great that is helpful. I'd asked before and thought it was something on the actual filters that I was somehow missing...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
^^^

I just tested it, the Wolfman v1 filter, and I am getting that noise with no inputs on the miniDSP.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I'm not sure, actually, the mDSP is the only thing I don't have grounded to the AVR.

I have a 6000DSP, two NX3000Ds, and an AMP100VS, all wired from their chassis to the AVR "SIGNAL GND" connector.
Aron - thank you so much for the tip. I ended up grounding the AVR/Amp to the miniDSP (a bit ugly) and it eliminated it. The ground I believe on the miniDSP is the screw to the right of output 4. I dismantled mine to check.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
@MOberhardt
Do you happen to have in your collection Point Of No Return (1993 - Bridget Fonda) and/or Soldier (1998 - Kurt Russell)?

If so, I'd love to see them on your BEQ folder at some point.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

9741 - 9760 of 15578 Posts