AVS Forum banner

12081 - 12100 of 15737 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
hi guys,

I spent some time reading through this thread, and the GitHub readme, and still am a little confused.

Is there a way using BEQDesigner or any ohter tool to actually modify an MKV file (or ISO, etc) itself to restore the original track?
Or is a MiniDSP 100% required?

If the MiniDSP is required, is it worth it for me since I only have one sub? (I have a Rythmik FV18 Paper Cone).
Do you recommend the 2 x 4 HD, or one of the others?

I already have a UMik and have used REW to help me place the sub.

Thanks for your help.
You can but 7.1 max. You loose Atmos ) DTS-X. There's instructions I think in the first posts.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
BassEQ Parasite (2019) Korean Atmos

Wow, not much bass in this one either but this Atmos track is surprisingly great! And we really liked the movie too! Another one I'd definitely recommend.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Sorry, stoopid newbie questions

Hi folks, I stumbled across this thread as I’m a bass nut...in particular I’d be in heaven if all Atmos bass was as good as IT Chapter 11 or Terminator Genysis etc etc

I have just completed the acquisition of the Marvel Cinematic Universe...my understanding is Atmos bass is sadly lacking in some of these movies...

First question, how does BEQ work if I’m playing physical discs? Please see equipment in my sig...is there any easy way to extract the extra LFE? Thanks folks

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
hi guys,

I spent some time reading through this thread, and the GitHub readme, and still am a little confused.

Is there a way using BEQDesigner or any ohter tool to actually modify an MKV file (or ISO, etc) itself to restore the original track?
Or is a MiniDSP 100% required?

If the MiniDSP is required, is it worth it for me since I only have one sub? (I have a Rythmik FV18 Paper Cone).
Do you recommend the 2 x 4 HD, or one of the others?

I already have a UMik and have used REW to help me place the sub.

Thanks for your help.

I currently have only one sub (yours is way better though :)), and use the miniDSP. It is WAY more useful than you'd think.

It allows you keep all Atmos/DTS-X content (remuxing via BEQDesigner does not), streamlines the filter loading process via GitHub .xml files (which is awesome!), and lastly, it's a MiniDSP! It gives you more options for tweaking your gear and adding a sweet housecurve (REW) if you so choose. :D

And yes, the 2X4 HD is recommended.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Hi folks, I stumbled across this thread as I’m a bass nut...in particular I’d be in heaven if all Atmos bass was as good as IT Chapter 11 or Terminator Genysis etc etc

I have just completed the acquisition of the Marvel Cinematic Universe...my understanding is Atmos bass is sadly lacking in some of these movies...

First question, how does BEQ work if I’m playing physical discs? Please see equipment in my sig...is there any easy way to extract the extra LFE? Thanks folks
Welcome to the thread!

All of the info you need is posted on the first page. I'd recommend starting there, and then ask questions if there is something that you may not understand. It is pretty informative on "How To", so that should help to understand what's needed to get some BEQ in your life. :D

Also, here is a cool article on watching the Marvel movies by order of timeline vs. realease date.
https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scene/the-best-way-to-rewatch-the-mcu

I've been rewatching them in this order and I've enjoyed it very much.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the thread!

All of the info you need is posted on the first page. I'd recommend starting there, and then ask questions if there is something that you may not understand. It is pretty informative on "How To", so that should help to understand what's needed to get some BEQ in your life. :D

Also, here is a cool article on watching the Marvel movies by order of timeline vs. realease date.
https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scene/the-best-way-to-rewatch-the-mcu

I've been rewatching them in this order and I've enjoyed it very much.

Hope this helps,

Darrell
Thanks for the link...I was going to just watch them in order of release but now I shall reconsider...Are you viewing in the links newly suggested order now, starting with Captain America? EDIT: I just see now that u r , thanks

I did start reading the first few posts earlier but I think I need someone to paint me the big picture starting with “can I just watch my regular discs” and if I can, is there a simple process to extract the proper LFE, as a start...I will go back and re read however...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thanks for the link...I was going to just watch them in order of release but now I shall reconsider...Are you viewing in the links newly suggested order now, starting with Captain America? EDIT: I just see now that u r , thanks

I did start reading the first few posts earlier but I think I need someone to paint me the big picture starting with “can I just watch my regular discs” and if I can, is there a simple process to extract the proper LFE, as a start...I will go back and re read however...
With the MiniDSP you can watch via BR disc, streaming app/box (AppleTV+, NvidiaShield, Roku, etc.), HTPC, and even a regular PC. If there's a source and @aron7awol has worked his awesome BEQ Ninja skills, you can do it! :D

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
With the MiniDSP you can watch via BR disc, streaming app/box (AppleTV+, NvidiaShield, Roku, etc.), HTPC, and even a regular PC. If there's a source and @aron7awol has worked his awesome BEQ Ninja skills, you can do it! :D
Thanks, just reread some of the first few posts...essentially I would be boosting certain frequency’s stated in the little table per title in the mini dsp software...? there could be 3-4-5 frequencies to boost per flick?

Would this be similar with what I do today with my SVS PEQ app? I can boost up to 3 frequencies to impact the bass curve...If I really want punch in the gut I boost 60hz by +5 dB...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Thanks, just reread some of the first few posts...essentially I would be boosting certain frequency’s stated in the little table per title in the mini dsp software...? there could be 3-4-5 frequencies to boost per flick?

Would this be similar with what I do today with my SVS PEQ app? I can boost up to 3 frequencies to impact the bass curve...If I really want punch in the gut I boost 60hz by +5 dB...
No, it is not boosting, it is more smoothing out the spectrum graph so that the signal is more or less flat to 0Hz, as opposed to being low pass filtered like many are. For great examples, look at the graph (link in first post) for First Man.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
No, it is not boosting, it is more smoothing out the spectrum graph so that the signal is more or less flat to 0Hz, as opposed to being low pass filtered like many are. For great examples, look at the graph (link in first post) for First Man.
Thanks, so u would simply Enter those frequency’s and gains into the mini dsp s/w and be off to the races?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Yes. Easier still, connect to the repositories, and load the XML file via the MiniDSP plugin app.
Ok, why are the studios applying a low pass filter? LFE is half the movie! (To me)...weak LFE and I become disengaged from the movie...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Ok, why are the studios applying a low pass filter? LFE is half the movie! (To me)...weak LFE and I become disengaged from the movie...
Who knows. It is illogical. I think the consensus is it is something to do with the garbage soundbar mentality, but I can't see that as being even possible. I mean you have a fake "atmos" 2.05 soundbar with a "subwoofer" with a rolloff at 50Hz, how is filtering the signal sub 40Hz help or stop it breaking junk? I'd have thought it'd make it even worse.

BTW, on movies, I watched Tears of the Sun yesterday. Very strong native track, and with BEQ it gave it more of a kick, the LPCM track. A great movie too. The video quality is very old school though, early transfer.

·
Registered
821 Posts
anyway to get an upgraded mini dsp, more ins and outs, and do this with my onkyo rz820, and add direc live to eq my room?
im running my fronts pre out, to my old adcom 200 watt per channel at moment.
rest of channels are driven by the onkyo
doing 5.1.2 atmos

·
Registered
95 Posts
hi guys,

apologies if I missed this somewhere, but have been going through the Remux Workflow on the readme and I'm still not sure.
I'm able to load up an MKV file in BEQDesigner OK, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use the pre-made filters that were put on the GitHub site for this?

Or are those XML files only valid for MiniDSP?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
hi guys,

apologies if I missed this somewhere, but have been going through the Remux Workflow on the readme and I'm still not sure.
I'm able to load up an MKV file in BEQDesigner OK, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use the pre-made filters that were put on the GitHub site for this?

Or are those XML files only valid for MiniDSP?
You can use the repo files in BEQDesigner. After you load your signal you can load the filters using the "Load BEQ Filter" menu and selecting the correct file.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
BassEQ Omniscient (2020) Season 1 Netflix Portuguese DD+

12081 - 12100 of 15737 Posts