AVS Forum banner

12101 - 12120 of 15738 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Simple Remux BassEQ Tutorial

This tutorial does not go into every detail. You may have to experiment in BEQ Designer to figure out exactly what each step entails. This will apply a simple BEQ with a single set of filters on all channels.

1. Extract Audio - Decimate but do not Mix to Mono. This will keep all of the independent channels.
2. Add Signals. You should now see a signal for each channel.
3. Link Signals - Make one the master and make all of the rest slaves. Now if you add filters to the master, all of the signals will get them.
4. Add Filters to the master signal. You should see the filters take effect on all channels on the PvA graph.
5. Check Headroom - Click the up arrow below the PvA graph. This will bring up the waveform graph below. Check the "Filtered?" checkbox. Now select each signal and make note of the headroom shown. One or more of the signals may show negative headroom. The negative gain you choose to add should be based on the worst case, so make note of which signal had the least headroom (or the largest negative headroom). Add a negative gain filter to the same master signal above to increase headroom so that it is no longer negative on any of the channels.
6. Remux - If you followed all of these steps starting with extraction, the signals should map to the filters automatically.

This tutorial was meant to be quick and simple. It won't answer every question for someone first starting with BEQ Designer, but it at least gives you the guidelines to follow as you work your way through learning how the app works.

Notes:
1. You will lose audio objects in Atmos/DTS:X mixes.
2. Many mixes already have channels with little or no headroom without any filters added, so don't be alarmed by that.
3. The negative gain added in step 5 will reduce the overall volume, so you will need to raise your MV by the same amount in order to playback the remux at the original volume.
4. If you check "Include Original Audio" you can also specify a gain to apply to it. You will want to match the gain you used in step 5, if you want to be able to switch between the audio tracks to compare.
5. If you check "Compress Audio?" when remuxing, it will encode the audio as FLAC instead of uncompressed PCM.
6. If you want to do per-channel BEQ rather than applying the same filters to all channels, simply skip the Link Signals step and you can apply different filters to each channel.
Thanks so much for this, it helped me a lot.

I almost have my first BEQ'd movie!

There's one part I'm confused on though, which is step 5. I went through each channel and did see Headroom being negative, with -7.00 being the highest on the center for Ford v Ferrari.
I'm not sure where I'm suppoosed to change the negative gain though? I've reviewed the docs but It's still not clear.
I do see a section which shows "LS,LS,PEQ", and ahows the gain, but not sure if this is the right place?

thanks again for any clues!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thanks so much for this, it helped me a lot.

I almost have my first BEQ'd movie!

There's one part I'm confused on though, which is step 5. I went through each channel and did see Headroom being negative, with -7.00 being the highest on the center for Ford v Ferrari.
I'm not sure where I'm suppoosed to change the negative gain though? I've reviewed the docs but It's still not clear.
I do see a section which shows "LS,LS,PEQ", and ahows the gain, but not sure if this is the right place?

thanks again for any clues!
You can omit the whole process of having to input all of the filters if you follow @DesertDog's suggestion of getting the GitHub repository and simply loading the .xml file that has already been created with the proper filters. It will make life so much easier until you get the MiniDSP. Trust me...I had to do the same thing prior to getting one.

·
Registered
821 Posts
anyway to get an upgraded mini dsp, more ins and outs, and do this with my onkyo rz820, and add direc live to eq my room?
im running my fronts pre out, to my old adcom 200 watt per channel at moment.
rest of channels are driven by the onkyo
doing 5.1.2 atmos
anybody?

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,105 (Edited)
If you want Dirac for all channels in your 5.1.2 system

First you need a miniDSP 2x4HD, $205 for up to 4 subs (+ BEQ)
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

If you want to add Dirac for your subs, it's an extra $199 for the 2x4HD to DDRC-24 Upgrade
https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/2x4hd-to-ddrc-24

Dirac for your 7 speakers* requires a DDRC-88A for $999 (8 channel max)
https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a

If you want to add Bass Management to the DDRC-88A, the DDRC-88BM option is another $99
https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88bm

The miniDSP 10x10 can also do 8 channels (for $599) but I'm pretty sure DIRAC is not an option
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-10x10-hd

*You will also need to purchase external amplifiers for the rest of your speakers (you only have the 2 Front Mains currently)
So you need another 5 channels of external amplification if you want your entire 5.1.2 system to use Dirac.*

*The miniDSP boxes cannot be used on the internal amplified channels of your AVR,
The box must sit between your AV processor and separate amplifiers (or subs with built in amplifiers)

:nerd:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi. Does the minidsp 2x4 HD and BEQ work with a single sub? And if yes, what would be the correct way to connect the avr, sub and minidsp? Sry for the dumb question but i‘m completely new to this.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,107 (Edited)
Hi. Does the minidsp 2x4 HD and BEQ work with a single sub? And if yes, what would be the correct way to connect the avr, sub and minidsp? Sry for the dumb question but i‘m completely new to this.
You have 4 outputs, as seen in the 2x4HD setup guide on page 1, post number 4
If you only have 1 sub, you only use one of the outputs, it will still work.

You do have room for expansion to add more subs and/or motion actuators, butt kickers or a BOSS system
All Highly recommended since they can extend well below most sub capabilities right down to single digit frequencies.
Most subs don't go much below 20Hz unless you spend $1K and up.

What sub are you using now?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have 4 outputs, as seen in this setup guide diagram on page 1
If you only have 1 sub, you only use one of them, it will still work

You do have room for expansion to add more subs and/or motion actuators, butt kickers or a BOSS system
All Highly recommended since they can extend well below most sub capabilities right down to single digits.

What sub are you using now?
Thx for the quick answer. Which Cables do i need to connect the sub and avr to the minidsp?

At the moment i‘m using a Magnat Monitor Supreme Sub 301a, but plan to upgrade soon to a SVS PB 1000. And the AVR is a Denon X1000.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can omit the whole process of having to input all of the filters if you follow @DesertDog's suggestion of getting the GitHub repository and simply loading the .xml file that has already been created with the proper filters. It will make life so much easier until you get the MiniDSP. Trust me...I had to do the same thing prior to getting one.
Thanks.. I'm confused though because I am using the XML files from the Github repo. Are you saying the pre-made filter should already account for the Headroom to always be OK as is?
I just re-did everything step by step.

1) Extract Audio on my MKV file of Ford Vs Ferrari
2) Linked all the channels to a single one
3) Load BEQ Filter, referencing the XML file from the GitHub Repo
4) Checked HEadroom on each channel, this time everything looks above 0
5) Remux Audio-> Loaded the original MKV, then pushed "Remux" button
6) Played it on Plex on my PC and everything sounds OK
7) Played it via Plex/Nvidia shield on my 5.1.2 system in my living room - the audio is "Staticky" and really messed up/harsh

What could I have done wrong to make the sound all staticy and harsh? It's not my plex server or client as I watch tons of other movies using it without issues.

thanks for any advice!
BTW I went ahead and ordered the MiniDSP 2x4 so maybe I won't have to mess with Remuxing my own MKVs anymore.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,110 (Edited)

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,112 (Edited)
Link doesn’t work in my Country. 🙈 I‘m from Germany btw. 😁
Monoprice RCA cables (22 AWG CL2 Rated RG6/U 75ohm)

Depending on your room, You may not gain much from BEQ with a 10" 300 watt SVS PB-1000 sub that drops off at 25Hz.

It's typically below 25Hz that most of the BEQ filters start to work their magic, and 15-20Hz is the sweet spot for most users here.
From 15Hz down to 3Hz is where BEQ really brings the tactile transducers into play, where many subs start to roll off.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Link doesn’️t work in my Country. 🙈 I‘m from Germany btw. 😁
Monoprice RCA cables (22 AWG CL2 Rated RG6/U 75ohm)

Depending on your room, You may not gain much from BEQ with a 10" 300 watt SVS PB-1000 sub that drops off at 25Hz.

It's typically below 25Hz that most of the BEQ filters start to work their magic, and 15-20Hz is the sweet spot for most users here.
From 15Hz down to 3Hz is where BEQ really brings the tactile transducers into play, where many subs start to roll off.
Ok thx for the info. Do you have any recommendations for subs?

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you want Dirac for all channels in your 5.1.2 system

First you need a miniDSP 2x4HD, $205 for up to 4 subs (+ BEQ)
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

If you want to add Dirac for your subs, it's an extra $199 for the 2x4HD to DDRC-24 Upgrade
https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/2x4hd-to-ddrc-24

Dirac for your 7 speakers* requires a DDRC-88A for $999 (8 channel max)
https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a

If you want to add Bass Management to the DDRC-88A, the DDRC-88BM option is another $99
https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88bm

The miniDSP 10x10 can also do 8 channels (for $599) but I'm pretty sure DIRAC is not an option
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-10x10-hd

*You will also need to purchase external amplifiers for the rest of your speakers (you only have the 2 Front Mains currently)
So you need another 5 channels of external amplification if you want your entire 5.1.2 system to use Dirac.*

*The miniDSP boxes cannot be used on the internal amplified channels of your AVR,
The box must sit between your AV processor and separate amplifiers (or subs with built in amplifiers)

:nerd:
thanks man for that.
thats kinda what i thought about needing ext amps for the rest of my rig.
preciate the help!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Thanks.. I'm confused though because I am using the XML files from the Github repo. Are you saying the pre-made filter should already account for the Headroom to always be OK as is?
thanks for any advice!
BTW I went ahead and ordered the MiniDSP 2x4 so maybe I won't have to mess with Remuxing my own MKVs anymore.
You still have to account for headroom when using the repo xml files when remuxing as in Aron's instructions. All the xml files do is save you from having to manually enter the numbers into BEQd.

Once you get your miniDSP I wouldn't bother with remuxing unless it's a movie you want other people, like a wife or kids, to be able to play BEQed without having to muck with the miniDSP.

Ok thx for the info. Do you have any recommendations for subs?
That's a loaded question. ;)

A bunch of the guys around here, myself included, are DIY since you can get a lot more bang for the buck. That depends though on if you like to build stuff and have the tools for it. If you do we can point you in directions for it. If you don't we can give suggestions on options to buy. Either way let us know what range your budget is for it. That'll make a big difference on recommendations.

Reactions: d-rail34

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,119
Damn you Disney!

...another round of Pixar 4K's and I can't resist

Best Buy pre-orders just went up this morning, (Mar.3 release date)

Attachments

12101 - 12120 of 15738 Posts