AVS Forum banner

12121 - 12140 of 15803 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi folks - stupid question number 1.

Can this set-up be used with passive subs. I presently have 2xJBL SSW-2 subs, connected to an Emotiva RMC-1 processor and an Emotiva XPA DR2 Power Amp. Can someone advise where the miniDSP would sit in this set-up. Connections between processor and power amp are all XLR?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,122 (Edited)

Can this set-up be used with passive subs. I presently have 2xJBL SSW-2 subs, connected to an Emotiva RMC-1 processor and an Emotiva XPA DR2 Power Amp. Can someone advise where the miniDSP would sit in this set-up. Connections between processor and power amp are all XLR?

Thanks for any advice.
There's no difference plugging a cable from the miniDSP into a powered sub, than it is to plug into an amp that powers a passive sub.
Works the same way when you use a separate amplifier to power Crowson MA's, Butt Kickers or a BOSS system.

The miniDSP always sits between the Processor and the Amp (whether its built into the sub or separate)

If you only have XLR connections on your amp, all you need are RCA>XLR adapters:
https://www.parts-express.com/xlr-male-to-rca-female-adapter--240-438

I use all RCA cables, but my Funk Subs only have XLR inputs

·
Registered
2,070 Posts

Thanks for any advice.
There's no difference plugging a cable from the miniDSP into a powered sub, than it is to plug into an amp that controls a passive sub.
Works the same way when you use a separate amplifier to power Crowson MA's, Butt Kickers or a BOSS system.

The miniDSP always sits between the Processor and the Amp (whether its built into the sub or separate)

If you only have XLR connections on your amp, all you need are RCA>XLR adapters:
https://www.parts-express.com/xlr-male-to-rca-female-adapter--240-438

I use all RCA cables, but my Funk Subs only have XLR inputs

Thanks @PioManiac that’s cleared that up nicely for me.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Thanks.. I'm confused though because I am using the XML files from the Github repo. Are you saying the pre-made filter should already account for the Headroom to always be OK as is?
I just re-did everything step by step.

1) Extract Audio on my MKV file of Ford Vs Ferrari
2) Linked all the channels to a single one
3) Load BEQ Filter, referencing the XML file from the GitHub Repo
4) Checked HEadroom on each channel, this time everything looks above 0
5) Remux Audio-> Loaded the original MKV, then pushed "Remux" button
6) Played it on Plex on my PC and everything sounds OK
7) Played it via Plex/Nvidia shield on my 5.1.2 system in my living room - the audio is "Staticky" and really messed up/harsh

What could I have done wrong to make the sound all staticy and harsh? It's not my plex server or client as I watch tons of other movies using it without issues.

thanks for any advice!
BTW I went ahead and ordered the MiniDSP 2x4 so maybe I won't have to mess with Remuxing my own MKVs anymore.
It sounds like you did everything properly, but I have no idea why you're having issues running through Plex/Nvidia Shield. Have you tried playing it through there again to see if it's still doing it? I ask because I remuxed probably close to 100 movies prior to getting the MiniDSP and never had any issue like that. Very weird...

Just out of curiousity, are you making sure to assign the mix to all channels prior to remux?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Oh, gee, anyone interested, a legendary LFE title, the 1999 The Haunting, is getting a blu ray release next month, in Australia, by Umbrella. Typically they release lossless audio too.
Planning to buy? If so, interested in hearing your thoughts on the audio transfer. If not too expensive, I might import it.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I‘ve been trying to remux a mkv Movie with DTS-HD Audio. But every time i only get PCM Audio after remuxing. This is how i‘m doing it:
1. Extract the Audio with beqdesigner
2. Loading the Channels and link them together with the LFE Channel as Master.
3. Load the BEQ File
4. Remux the Audio back into the Mkv with beqdesigner and default settings.

Am i doing something wrong here?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I‘ve been trying to remux a mkv Movie with DTS-HD Audio. But every time i only get PCM Audio after remuxing. This is how i‘m doing it:
3. Load the BEQ File

PCM what? 2.0, 5.1, 7.1? As indicated prior, and on the first posts, it will only do as PCM or optional FLAC if you choose compress audio. So you won't get Atmos or DTSX

·
Registered
24 Posts
3. Load the BEQ File

PNM what? As indicated prior, and on the first posts, it will only do as PCM or optional FLAC if you choose compress audio. So you won't get Atmos or DTSX
Yeah i know that about DTSX and Atmos, but the Mkv File i use is DTS-HD Audio. I didn’t see a Option to compress audio.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yeah i know that about DTSX and Atmos, but the Mkv File i use is DTS-HD Audio. I didn’t see a Option to compress audio.
My understanding is that it will remain as a PCM track, unless you choose to compress to FLAC. It doesn't reconvert to DTS-HD/TrueHD. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in if I've got it wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah i know that about DTSX and Atmos, but the Mkv File i use is DTS-HD Audio. I didn’️t see a Option to compress audio.
My understanding is that it will remain as a PCM track, unless you choose to compress to FLAC. It doesn't reconvert to DTS-HD/TrueHD. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in if I've got it wrong.
Yes that’s what I’m thinking too. Basically tried everything but the audio remains as a PCM track.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Yes that’s what I’m thinking too. Basically tried everything but the audio remains as a PCM track.
If you're using the BEQdesigner app to enhance bass on a movie by remuxing it into a file, you will NEVER get a DTS-HD MA track back again. It just isn't within the capabilities of the app. I'm pretty sure this information is included somewhere in the description either on the 1st page or on the Github of BEQdesigner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes that’️s what I’️m thinking too. Basically tried everything but the audio remains as a PCM track.
If you're using the BEQdesigner app to enhance bass on a movie by remuxing it into a file, you will NEVER get a DTS-HD MA track back again. It just isn't in the capabilities of the app. I'm pretty sure this information is included somewhere in the description either on the 1st page or on the Github of BEQdesigner.
Then i must have misunderstood that. Well then i will have to order a miniDSP. 😁

·
Registered
762 Posts

Hey @aron7awol , another BEQ request for you sir: Netflix - Ragnarok.

Thanks,
Femi

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
BassEQ Ragnarok (2020) Season 1 Netflix Norwegian DD+

There were already a couple of really hot hits that prevented me from doing too much, but I squeezed out 6dB down low which should add some weight to everything.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It sounds like you did everything properly, but I have no idea why you're having issues running through Plex/Nvidia Shield. Have you tried playing it through there again to see if it's still doing it? I ask because I remuxed probably close to 100 movies prior to getting the MiniDSP and never had any issue like that. Very weird...

Just out of curiousity, are you making sure to assign the mix to all channels prior to remux?
I may have missed that step. WWhere / how is that done?

MiniDSP comes today so maybe it wont matter anymore...

12121 - 12140 of 15803 Posts