AVS Forum banner

12141 - 12160 of 15791 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ooops

Last night I watched Romeo Must Die (2000) DTS-HD with Jet Li and Aaliyah. I checked to see if anyone had BEQ'd it and couldn't find it. No biggie. Turned out that there is some really nice bass in there, or so I thought. It wasn't until after the movie that I realized that I had it on config 2, which was set for the last movie that I watched: Sicario: Day of the Saldado 4K/UHD/ATMOS. I guess that I'll copy the config file for Sicario: DOTS and rename the copy to Romeo Must Die for future use.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I may have missed that step. WWhere / how is that done?

MiniDSP comes today so maybe it wont matter anymore...
Whenever you select remux and load the movie file (I believe it's under signal mapping), you need to make sure that all the channels have the signals selected for them and not the passthrough option.

It's been awhile since I've had to do one, but I'm 99.9% sure that's how I did it. Lol

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Last night I watched Romeo Must Die (2000) DTS-HD with Jet Li and Aaliyah. I checked to see if anyone had BEQ'd it and couldn't find it. No biggie. Turned out that there is some really nice bass in there, or so I thought. It wasn't until after the movie that I realized that I had it on config 2, which was set for the last movie that I watched: Sicario: Day of the Saldado 4K/UHD/ATMOS. I guess that I'll copy the config file for Sicario: DOTS and rename the copy to Romeo Must Die for future use.
I accidentally played Iron Man with The Incredible Hulk filters :eek:

I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I kept hearing these god awful noises. Then I remembered that I had multiple movies loaded up and forgot to switch configs. I have since stopped loading multiple configs. Lol

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Ok, so I just experienced something that I've never felt before.

About the 1:36 mark of The Legend Of Tarzan, whenever the steamboat explodes, there was an aftershock(?) effect that caught me & the wife off guard. It was a totally inaudible TR sensation, albeit brief, that put a HUGE smile on my face. Kind of like seeing all of the presents under the tree on Christmas morning as a kid. :D

Actually, since I've set my sub to the 16Hz mode, it's given me a whole new exprience altogether. Everything seems to be blending so much better, more emersive, and there is even more added weight that has emerged. ESPECIALLY when viewing with BEQ.

Just wanted to share this experience, as it's just another eye opener with what a lower tuning can bring to the fold, and it's helping me to understand just what the bigger LT subs might bring to the table. :)

Thanks again to all of you that has helped to make our movie viewing experiences even more enjoyable!

Darrell

·
Registered
843 Posts
BEQ - Remuxing Process

First of all, thank you very much for all the contributors to this wonderful project, i can only imagine the hours of work you have spent on this ... thank you very much to you all :)

As i don't have a miniDSP, i'm evaluating the Remux approach.
Although it cannot be used with object based formats (Atmos, DTX-X, etc), nowadays all AVR's offer Upmix algorithms, like Dolby Surround or DTS Neural Surround.
Given the importance of LFE, and assuming a subwoofer setup up to the task, IMO, a proper LFE corrected by BEQ is way more important than a full Dobly Atmos vs upmixed Dolby Surround, or DTS-X vs DTS Neural Surround.

After reading the excellent documentation this was the procedure i used.
The file is an MKV with an Atmos soundtrack.

Step 1 - Use MeGUI to convert the Atmos soundtrack to FLAC

Step 2 - Use gMKVExtractGUI to extract the FLAC audio track, so it can be used on BEQ

Step 3 - Analyse Audio track for future comparison with BEQed remuxed version

Step 4 - Load Signal (LFE only), and apply filter

Step 5 - Remux, Mapping channel 4 (LFE)

File is now Remuxed.

To confirm that the BEQ for the LFE was applied, i performed an Audio analysis:

Unfortunately, the analysis seems to produce the same exact result of the original file, which seems to indicate that the BEQ was not applied.

What am i missing in the above procedure, that's causing BEQ not to be applied?

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
"Signal Mapping" still shows passthrough. Select Channel 4 and change to LFE.
Also, I have recently found (and I, too, am still having some problems, so you're not alone) that clicking "Range" can help.
Michael

·
Registered
6,180 Posts

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
^^^ You should also apply to all channels, not just LFE.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've followed the exact instructions on the Remux documentation, and the filters were applied correctly.
Thank you very much for the help!

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I've done the same and continue to get "mumbling." Now I get an error that it can't find the file that it's loaded a dozen times, so I'm giving up.
I'll continue to use my miniDSP or, lately, Equalizer APO, which I'm finding even easier.
Michael

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've followed the exact instructions on the Remux documentation, and the filters were applied correctly.
Thank you very much for the help!
Did you apply to all channels? If so, did you get it to work properly in doing so?

I've done the same and continue to get "mumbling." Now I get an error that it can't find the file that it's loaded a dozen times, so I'm giving up.
I'll continue to use my miniDSP or, lately, Equalizer APO, which I'm finding even easier.
Michael
Using the MiniDSP along with the GitHub Repository is definitely the easiest, most streamlined way do it. So much so that I kicked myself for not getting it sooner. Lol

Not sure what Equalizer APO is, but is it something you're having to apply the filters to yourself? If so, I highly recommend loading the .xml files directly from the Repo (if you're not already doing it). It takes all of about 5 seconds to load your BEQ.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

Reactions: giomania

·
Registered
843 Posts
Did you apply to all channels? If so, did you get it to work properly in doing so?
Yes, i applied the filters to all the channels.
The key was to follow the documentation step by step, something i haven't done before :(
The documentation is excellent and very easy to follow.

I analysed the remuxed file and it showed a great increase around 8-30Hz, confirming that the filters were indeed applied.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
It would help if I had the HD, but I got my miniDSP before an HD was available, and it's not worth it to me to "upgrade."
Since I can copy/paste, entering the filters in E-APO is pretty straight-forward. This was the file for Alita:

Filter: ON LS 12 dB Fc 10 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 0.9
Filter: ON LS 12 dB Fc 14 Hz Gain 4.2 dB Q 1.1
Filter: ON PK Fc 10 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 3.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 27 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 1.0

Just another option out there for anyone who might be interested.
Michael

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yes, i applied the filters to all the channels.
The key was to follow the documentation step by step, something i haven't done before :(
The documentation is excellent and very easy to follow.

I analysed the remuxed file and it showed a great increase around 8-30Hz, confirming that the filters were indeed applied.
Lol...it happens. :D

Reactions: neo_2009

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It would help if I had the HD, but I got my miniDSP before an HD was available, and it's not worth it to me to "upgrade."
Since I can copy/paste, entering the filters in E-APO is pretty straight-forward. This was the file for Alita:

Filter: ON LS 12 dB Fc 10 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 0.9
Filter: ON PK Fc 10 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 3.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 27 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 1.0

Just another option out there for anyone who might be interested.
Michael
Gotcha! I just assumed that it was the HD version. My bad! :D

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts

Using the MiniDSP along with the GitHub Repository is definitely the easiest, most streamlined way do it. So much so that I kicked myself for not getting it sooner. Lol

Hope this helps,

Darrell

Thanks to those that have gone before and posted about it, I used GitHub from the GitGo!

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Thanks to those that have gone before and posted about it, I used GitHub from the GitGo!

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you're able to do so, it definitely makes BEQ life easier. Highly recommended! :)

12141 - 12160 of 15791 Posts