AVS Forum banner

13621 - 13640 of 15509 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Excellent idea - thanks for the suggestion. Just pressed a NUC I had lying about, into service. Used Chrome Remote Desktop and now got unfetered access to the miniDSP, without the need for that damned abomination of a "wi-fi bridge" - spent more time trying to get it to work, than anything else.
I should take my own advice. I was looking for a surface pro, but might be easier to get a nuc and just buy a new Android tablet. I should see if they have any decommissioned units at work, pulled from service at customer sites. I just want something to run minidsp and BEQ designer.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Guys, i just finished watching TMNT: Out Of The Shadows....WOW!!!!

Where do i start? Lets see, umm, i didn't have high hopes for this one because part 1 had too much midbass (which Aron has updated since). Aron updated this one yesterday and i found it to be PERFECT!

Ok first the visuals. I don't think i own another blu-ray that looks this pretty. That's the best word i can find to describe this. I was going to get the 4k but i found the blu with Atmos at a good bargain. If i had to do it again i would get the 4k even tho the review says its barely a noticeable improvement. Guys it looked like i was watching a 4K, the visuals are impressive. The main reason imo is the colors! Wow! I watched this whole movie thinking the different colors used and their depth and brightness were amazing. It looked almost as if i was seeing them in HDR! Just on the visuals alone i recommend this movie.

The audio? We'll leave the bass for last. The audio was a fun ride. Lots of surrounds. Lots of panning and with a movie that has lots of stuff always going on you always feel in the middle of it. Both the bluray and 4k have the Atmos. The overheads aren't shown off much but the few times they are, its noticeably cool. Beyond that they do add to the atmosphere of the scenes.

The bass? Omg!! This BEQ is PERFECT! Just when you thought the bass couldn't get better, here comes the next scene, and the next. By the end i literally covered my mouth in awe. I may not have TR devices or go below 15hz strong, but i have an 18" firing directly into my back from 6 inches away. The bass in this movie massaged me very differently than most!! This movie has SO MANY different types of bass used!! The last movie i watched that had this much variety with BEQ enabled was Godzilla (2014). Others checked it out that day and agreed as well. Guys this movie had surprising bass! They used everything to deliver this bass, Nature being one of them and it was awesome!! I feel no matter what kind of subs or setup you have, this is a movie that will rock all of your rooms! And those of you who have some serious setups, i can't imagine what i missed out on that you guys are going to enjoy!

Before going into this movie i never expected I'd be writing this much about it either lol, but you guys NEED to experience this!

As for the movie itself i enjoyed it. Loved the cartoons in the 80s and 90s. Loved the original 1 and 2. I dont love these new remakes but i appreciate them for what they are and how the cartoon finally comes to life.

The 4k (which includes the blu as well) is only 3 bucks more than the bluray right now.

Oh yeah, the one thing that did annoy me is how similar Michael Bay let the music sound just like some of the ones he's used in Transformers. He even throws a little Bumblebee in there for you in one of the scenes lol.

Im out of words guys, just get it. If all else fails your kids will have a blast watching it in your setups!!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Thanks, I'll do that today. Sorry if I sounded ungrateful. I was so disappointed when I hooked everything up and it didn't work!! I really don't want to ever watch another movie without BEQ!!!
thanks for sharing the config file, it only has 4 PEQ channels though whereas the minidsp 2x4 HD has 6. The difference seems to be a lack of input PEQ on the SHD as per the manual which is an unfortunate omission for a BEQ user.

is it still going to work for you? it typically means having to write the same filters to all output channels which limits the availability of the PEQ for any other use. I suppose the general purpose implementation is to allow the user to select which output channels to merge into and how many slots to use (default to all channels + all slots which means using the PEQ exclusively for BEQ).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
thanks for sharing the config file, it only has 4 PEQ channels though whereas the minidsp 2x4 HD has 6. The difference seems to be a lack of input PEQ on the SHD as per the manual which is an unfortunate omission for a BEQ user.

is it still going to work for you? it typically means having to write the same filters to all output channels which limits the availability of the PEQ for any other use. I suppose the general purpose implementation is to allow the user to select which output channels to merge into and how many slots to use (default to all channels + all slots which means using the PEQ exclusively for BEQ).
Yes, I noticed that. I think the two input PEQ's are used by Dirac. For my house curve, most likely I'll let Dirac write that if I can figure out how to use Dirac for subs only.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts

So the big question is can I use maybe BEQDesigner to merge BEQ and put the sub filters on the output and merge it with my Dirac input?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
So the big question is can I use maybe BEQDesigner to merge BEQ and put the sub filters on the output and merge it with my Dirac input?
I would have thought so. I don't really understand why you are using this for subs only though. Isn't it intended for stereo use?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Is there a way to use beq designer to merge files so the house curve is on the input and the beq file is on the output? I think that would work. Then again I don’t fully understand how these files work and I’m probably wrong.
the SHD doesn't have an input side PEQ so I'm not sure how you would do that, if you mean your usual dirac config then I don't know how that is stored. Was the shared config file generated from a device with an active dirac config?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
If my logic is correct, the Dirac generates filters and then stores them on the input side. It uses up to 10 filters so I think the basic architecture is the same as the 2x4hd. Tonight I’ll post another xml of the same movie since I’ve run Dirac and now can export the merged file (I think).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Guys, i just finished watching TMNT: Out Of The Shadows....WOW!!!!
Where do i start? Lets see, umm, i didn't have high hopes for this one because part 1 had too much midbass (which Aron has updated since). Aron updated this one yesterday and i found it to be PERFECT!

Ok first the visuals. I don't think i own another blu-ray that looks this pretty. That's the best word i can find to describe this. I was going to get the 4k but i found the blu with Atmos at a good bargain. If i had to do it again i would get the 4k even tho the review says its barely a noticeable improvement. Guys it looked like i was watching a 4K, the visuals are impressive. The main reason imo is the colors! Wow! I watched this whole movie thinking the different colors used and their depth and brightness were amazing. It looked almost as if i was seeing them in HDR! Just on the visuals alone i recommend this movie.

The audio? We'll leave the bass for last. The audio was a fun ride. Lots of surrounds. Lots of panning and with a movie that has lots of stuff always going on you always feel in the middle of it. Both the bluray and 4k have the Atmos. The overheads aren't shown off much but the few times they are, its noticeably cool. Beyond that they do add to the atmosphere of the scenes.

The bass? Omg!! This BEQ is PERFECT! Just when you thought the bass couldn't get better, here comes the next scene, and the next. By the end i literally covered my mouth in awe. I may not have TR devices or go below 15hz strong, but i have an 18" firing directly into my back from 6 inches away. The bass in this movie massaged me very differently than most!! This movie has SO MANY different types of bass used!! The last movie i watched that had this much variety with BEQ enabled was Godzilla (2014). Others checked it out that day and agreed as well. Guys this movie had surprising bass! They used everything to deliver this bass, Nature being one of them and it was awesome!! I feel no matter what kind of subs or setup you have, this is a movie that will rock all of your rooms! And those of you who have some serious setups, i can't imagine what i missed out on that you guys are going to enjoy!

Before going into this movie i never expected I'd be writing this much about it either lol, but you guys NEED to experience this!

As for the movie itself i enjoyed it. Loved the cartoons in the 80s and 90s. Loved the original 1 and 2. I dont love these new remakes but i appreciate them for what they are and how the cartoon finally comes to life.

The 4k (which includes the blu as well) is only 3 bucks more than the bluray right now.

Oh yeah, the one thing that did annoy me is how similar Michael Bay let the music sound just like some of the ones he's used in Transformers. He even throws a little Bumblebee in there for you in one of the scenes lol.

Im out of words guys, just get it. If all else fails your kids will have a blast watching it in your setups!!
Great write up, Geo! I agree the Turtle movies are very fun, and the A/V are fantastic. I regret holding off for too long checking out those movies because the generally unfavorable reviews. Now, you made me want to rewatch them again.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
If my logic is correct, the Dirac generates filters and then stores them on the input side. It uses up to 10 filters so I think the basic architecture is the same as the 2x4hd. Tonight I’ll post another xml of the same movie since I’ve run Dirac and now can export the merged file (I think).
Dirac is on the input side as per the block diagram shown above. I still don't understand how you are using this though, Dirac for bass correction only or it is a 2.1 setup?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Dirac is on the input side as per the block diagram shown above. I still don't understand how you are using this though, Dirac for bass correction only or it is a 2.1 setup?
I know it may sound crazy but I'm using the SHD for bass correction only. I've hosted the updated xml to my GitHub and will link it from your site but I doubt anything will be different. My gut is telling me that the Dirac corrections are loaded "permanently" in the SHD and when I export the configuration, it only exports the output filters. I can't even see the input filter side except in the Dirac Live program.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I know it may sound crazy but I'm using the SHD for bass correction only. I've hosted the updated xml to my GitHub and will link it from your site but I doubt anything will be different. My gut is telling me that the Dirac corrections are loaded "permanently" in the SHD and when I export the configuration, it only exports the output filters. I can't even see the input filter side except in the Dirac Live program.

Does the SHD have the Dirac multiple sub module?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is BEQ mainly for people who have subs that can play

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Registered
5,863 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Great write up, Geo! I agree the Turtle movies are very fun, and the A/V are fantastic. I regret holding off for too long checking out those movies because the generally unfavorable reviews. Now, you made me want to rewatch them again.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Mate, I have been burned too many times by unfavorable reviews that I realized they are 100% worthless.

A better strategy I've found is to go to IMDb, look at the USER reviews, and look for the positive ones, and see if what they say they liked about it resonates with you.

I'm not saying you have to agree with what I like. People like different stuff. And if you remember so many people reviewing stuff are disgusting disingenuous virtue signalling "people" trying to get woke points. I'll gladly tell anyone I friggin love the last Ferrell Riley buddy film, Holmes and Watson. I'd put it above Step Brothers, but a bit below Talladega Knights. And Battleship? Aside from the BEQ majesty of recovery that UHD epitomizes, that film is an utter joy for me to watch. I'm Australian, but I love this movie, and find it like a love letter to American exceptionalism. What they achieved in WW2, those Iowa class battleships were the epitomy of this. And watching that movie, seeing the honor to the veterans, past, wounded modern era, and the Missouri, just seeing the mighty Mo rolled out to our Aussie contribution, AC/DC playing Thunderstruck, it can't describe the joy I get ... But looking at reviews, if I'd listened, I could have gone to my grave and never seen it. Nor experienced the incredible BEQ upgrade. And THAT would have been an utter tragedy.

Negative reviews are just worthless.

13621 - 13640 of 15509 Posts