AVS Forum banner

14281 - 14300 of 15058 Posts

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
A pilot's aircraft is hijacked by terrorists.

How is it even possible to make a movie about that and have no bass except for the first minute???? Wow....

Even Aaron can't save it!
99% of the film takes place in the cockpit. ;)

I watched 7500 last weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit, thought it was a great film in a unique setting. Great acting by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, superb tension and stellar writing.

No bass at all. :D

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Yeah I know, it's great stuff but for some reason pages on this forum take a few second to load. I found it useful having all the graph images with filters on them on Mobe1969s github downloadable all at once so I can keep them stored locally, makes it much quicker for me. I was just wondering if the forum images for Bmillers github were available somewhere on a github for bulk download? If not that's OK.
Sorry, no.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,283
Yeah I know, it's great stuff but for some reason pages on this forum take a few second to load. I found it useful having all the graph images with filters on them on Mobe1969s github downloadable all at once so I can keep them stored locally, makes it much quicker for me. I was just wondering if the forum images for Bmillers github were available somewhere on a github for bulk download? If not that's OK.
Am I the only one that finds it a bit ironic that someone who doesn't have a few seconds for a web page to load
yet can somehow find enough time to lookup graphs and settings then manually insert a bunch of BEQ filter one at a time.

If only there was a cheap (~$200) device on the market that could load xml files with a single mouse click!

:p

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Am I the only one that finds it a bit ironic that someone who doesn't have a few seconds for a web page to load
yet can somehow find enough time to lookup graphs and settings then manually insert a bunch of BEQ filter one at a time.

If only there was a cheap (~$200) device on the market that could load xml files with a single mouse click!

A few seconds to get to one of the images? Maybe it is my link or the devices I use, or cache available, but even on a decent laptop it takes at least a minute to load the first page plus search for the title using a text search, and then click that link and then wait for the new page to load. I'f I'm on my mobile or a tablet, add another minute to the timeline. If you are getting that to occur in a few seconds, I'm envious, and I wish I had your config. I guess I just use a browser, not some app for the forums

·
Registered
71 Posts
BassEQ Bad Boys For Life (2020) DTS:X

DTS-HD MA 5.1:

Amazon DD+:

From what I've read, IMAX enhanced attempts to replicate the full fat Cinema audio experience. If that is the case then one would assume that the filtered frequencies should be reinstated. But is that even possible inside a receiver?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A few seconds to get to one of the images? Maybe it is my link or the devices I use, or cache available, but even on a decent laptop it takes at least a minute to load the first page plus search for the title using a text search, and then click that link and then wait for the new page to load. I'f I'm on my mobile or a tablet, add another minute to the timeline. If you are getting that to occur in a few seconds, I'm envious, and I wish I had your config. I guess I just use a browser, [not some app for the forums
I use Tapatalk for the forums, and the first page is unloadable to me, BUT the search function is very effective and fast. If you can install it on your phone, it makes life a bit easier. It just doesn't work with short and common words.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,287 (Edited)
A few seconds to get to one of the images? Maybe it is my link or the devices I use, or cache available, but even on a decent laptop it takes at least a minute to load the first page plus search for the title using a text search, and then click that link and then wait for the new page to load. I'f I'm on my mobile or a tablet, add another minute to the timeline. If you are getting that to occur in a few seconds, I'm envious, and I wish I had your config. I guess I just use a browser, not some app for the forums
Those were not my words, it was Ormy.

I have zero interest in loading multiple web pages and looking for a graphs and BEQ settings
only to then manually insert the shelf values for each movie one at a time for Frequency/Gain/Q.

...Something like Atomic Blonde would require 24 entries
vs a couple mouse clicks using the miniDSP Load button then select the title xml file off my list.

FWIW, the first page on my $300 Lenovo turd of a laptop, loads in less than 5 seconds.
...are you on dial-up down there? :D

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
....but even on a decent laptop it takes at least a minute to load the first page.....

Do you have an SSD or a platter drive? I have multiple PCs, but even on my OLD laptop with a first gen i3, it takes 2 seconds to load the first page. SSDs are dirt cheap now. There's no reason not to have one. They make a huge difference, especially in older PCs.

FWIW, the first page on my $300 Lenovo turd of a laptop, loads in less than 5 seconds.

Still no SSD Pio?

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,289
Still no SSD Pio?
Oh hell no, I didn't even know what a Solid State Drive was until long after I bought this one in a panic when my last laptop died.
I just grabbed the cheapest replacement I could find at best buy since I only use it for browsing the forums and loading BEQ's into the miniDSP :D

I'm not a computer geek at all, almost everything I've learned was from fellow BEQ users that I picked up on-the-fly after I started this thread.

:nerd:

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
BassEQ Baby Driver (2017) Atmos

The -2dB gain is a MV decrease.

Not sure if it's my system or settings in my mini dsp or something inherent to the BEQ mix, but I loaded up BEQ for Baby Driver and my Buttkickers were going crazy for no reason during the scene right after he gets coffee and they are sitting down at the table toward the beginning of the movie.
Can you share a timestamp? I'll look into it if you do.
It was right after the first heist at the beginning of the movie, where he brings back coffees and they meet up in the big room. Probably not more than five minutes into the movie I think.
Ahh, okay, I'll check that scene out now.

Found it. There's some constant noise in the background of that scene centered around 11Hz. It's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember it being at a distracting level. I'll test it again and see how it behaves for me. Do you have those BKs really cranked up?!? :D

Edit: Just tested. Yeah, I definitely feel it in that scene.

Yeah, you could say I have the BK's boosted a bit... :)
I watched Baby Driver with my son and his two friends last weekend. It was the second time I had seen it, but the first time I EXPERIENCED it, thanks to Bass EQ, BOSS, and six subs.

I also noticed that droning noise, and also the thunder during the Post Office heist (Chapter 13, starting around 1:19:??) was really hot in my system. Not sure why that caused an issue by looking at the heat map above. Also, the elevator thud (Chapter 15, around 1:37:47) was also too hot. That makes sense based on the heat map above. This is the second title that concerned me with BEQ, but the boosts are minimal on this one. The other one was the Conjuring 2, but I posted about that previously.

Still not sure if I need to calibrate the subs to a lower reference level. Must...resist...;)

Mark

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Still not sure if I need to calibrate the subs to a lower reference level. Must...resist...;)
I really do think you're running them too hot if you're running into these sorts of issues with your subs and not TR devices.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Is there some way I can download the filters for ALL the BEQd movies in human-readable format or download all the graph images at once? I notice on the github belonging to 'Mobe1969' that the BEQ graph images with filters written on them are available for bulk download however some of my favorite movies are missing from this list. They are on the list at the github belonging to 'Bmiller' but there are no images at that github. Can they be found somewhere else?
No

Simplest thing to do is export this format from beqd, add details of the format to an issue at https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesigner/issues and I will take a look when I get time

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry, no.
Thanks for letting me know. It never hurts to ask.

Those were not my words, it was Ormy.

I have zero interest in loading multiple web pages and looking for a graphs and BEQ settings
only to then manually insert the shelf values for each movie one at a time for Frequency/Gain/Q.

...Something like Atomic Blonde would require 24 entries
vs a couple mouse clicks using the miniDSP Load button then select the title xml file off my list.

...are you on dial-up down there? :D

https://youtu.be/8GpR1MB2sLU
1. You overestimate the time required to enter the filters into the EqualizerAPO software, it's vastly quicker than using the miniDSP software. It has a .txt file as configuration and accepts unlimited filters. I enter filters that look like this:
Code:
Filter:ON LSC Fc 24.0 Hz Gain 5.3 dB Q 0.9
But I don't even have to type all that each time. I just copy and paste an existing filter and edit the values. Then copy and paste that line if the same filter is used several times. For more info see https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizerapo/wiki/Configuration reference/

2. You underestimate the time to load pages on this forum. I have an aging but still capable gaming/HTPC with an SSD, most web pages load quickly but pages on this forum in particular are very slow, 15-20 second per page at least.

3.) Your comment displays a lack of empathy in assuming everyone has the same budget as you. I don't, $200 is not cheap, it is quite a lot of money to me, especially when I can get similar functionality from free software.

No

Simplest thing to do is export this format from beqd, add details of the format to an issue at https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesigner/issues and I will take a look when I get time
Thank you very much for the offer but I'm not looking to make any extra work for anyone, I know you guys do tons of good work already to get this thread up and running. I just wondered if such a resource already existed and I had missed it.

EDIT: I just realised BEQdesigner can load the .xml files stored locally and show me the filters in human-readable format. This is exactly what I was looking for, problem solved! Thanks everyone!

Reactions: AmerCa and femi

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I thought this might be an interesting thing to post here about my conversation a couple of years ago with HBO about their series Ballers... which I've noticed hasn't been graphed. Ehm! :rolleyes:

Here is my direct e-mail to HBO and their surprising response...

ME said:
I just received Ballers: Season 3 from Amazon the other day and the first thing I noticed different from the other seasons is all 10 episodes are now on 1 Blu-ray disc, whereas the previous 2 seasons were on 2 Blu-ray discs. To me, this is a sign of more compressed episodes, which I found is actually true when I looked at the filesizes of each episode. With Season 1 & 2, most of the episodes were over 6GB, now with Season 3, they're only 4GB to fit them on 1 disc! This means the bitrate is lower than normal, i.e., the picture quality has declined on this new season due to your efforts to compress this series finale and obviously cut corners to save money!

Why the skimp on quality on the last season of such a wonderful show? This has made me question purchasing further HBO shows due to the lack of attention to these pertinent details with regard to the stellar quality I'm used to as with Game Of Thrones, another HBO series I own. Is this lack of attention and care for quality and detail something I can expect in the future for HBO shows released on Blu-ray? Is this in an effort to focus more on your streaming services, which in fact will NEVER equal the picture quality or audio fidelity of your disc releases?

HBO said:
Thank you for writing to HBO.

Unfortunately, we will have to decline this request. We do not customarily allow our content to be utilized in this way.

HBO Consumer Affairs

ME said:
Wait a second... what just happened here!?!

Utilized in what way!? I merely looked at the filesizes of the disc on my computer by looking in the folder.

I mean, this is not something that's outside of the law or anything, nor is it an official "request". I just want to know was this purposefully done since it was the last season of the series?

I was just looking for someone to answer these questions. Is this too difficult for you to understand!?

I got no response to my last e-mail above. :mad:

And by the way, they did the EXACT same thing with Silicon Valley, fitting the last season all on one disc!

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
2. You underestimate the time to load pages on this forum. I have an aging but still capable gaming/HTPC with an SSD, most web pages load quickly but pages on this forum in particular are very slow, 15-20 second per page at least.
I get slow load times every once in awhile, but the majority of the time AVSForum is pretty snappy for me. One thing you can do to speed up load times is to go to your User CP and under Your Profile>Edit Details make sure you disable the sidebar. ;)

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
One thing you can do to speed up load times is to got to your User CP and under Your Profile>Edit Details make sure you disable the sidebar. ;)
Dude, thanks for this. I did not think it was possible. So happy to get rid of the annoying 'sidebar' beside that it allows the page to load a lot faster and provides more screen view :)

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
A. I never get slow times on web or phone (though mobile site stinks IMHO. I also don't have any ads, so maybe that helps?

One thing you can do to speed up load times is to go to your User CP and under Your Profile>Edit Details make sure you disable the sidebar. ;)
B. OM*G, THANK YOU Alan for the suggestion on removing the sidebar...why have I never noticed that setting!?

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Dude, thanks for this. I did not think it was possible. So happy to get rid of the annoying 'sidebar' beside that it allows the page to load a lot faster and provides more screen view :)
A. I never get slow times on web or phone (though mobile site stinks IMHO. I also don't have any ads, so maybe that helps?

B. OM*G, THANK YOU Alan for the suggestion on removing the sidebar...why have I never noticed that setting!?
Can't believe you guys have been staring at that sidebar for 14 & 20 years, respectively! :eek:

Glad to be of service! :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,300
I did it so long ago, I almost forgot what a PITA that sidebar was.
My laptop 15" screen is already small enough, I don't need it cramped further, or slowed down with adds and notifications.

I was wondering how anyone could possibly take a full minute to load the first page list, that explains the difference! :confused:

14281 - 14300 of 15058 Posts