AVS Forum banner

15061 - 15080 of 15577 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
@3ll3d00d I have a minor suggestion/request or two for the BEQdesigner software (I'm just using it to load .xml files and copy filters into EAPO so nothing important). Would you prefer I put them here or on the github issues or PM them to you? Or just keep them to myself :censored:.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
@3ll3d00d I have a minor suggestion/request or two for the BEQdesigner software (I'm just using it to load .xml files and copy filters into EAPO so nothing important). Would you prefer I put them here or on the github issues or PM them to you? Or just keep them to myself :censored:.
github is best

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Meles needs Quadruple Stars for this post!

Guys, bookmark Meles' link and use it to find movie BEQs! It works perfectly!
Until Google updates the cache...

Too bad the reports aren't in an easily searchable repository that is easily managed. If only such a technology existed. It is a shame the only way it can be achieved is a multi person effort, with one person making software Mods to generate posts , another to create the images, upload them to some random site, and create a post, and then Someone else manually maintain a post of links to other posts. And another person to create XML files manually from the post. Just so complicated, and so many people involved.

It is incredible something much simpler isn't available. Something that maybe the people could all do the same roles. A tragedy, really.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Too bad the reports aren't in an easily searchable repository that is easily managed. If only such a technology existed. It is a shame the only way it can be achieved is a multi person effort, with one person making software Mods to generate posts , another to create the images, upload them to some random site, and create a post, and then Someone else manually maintain a post of links to other posts. And another person to create XML files manually from the post. Just so complicated, and so many people involved.

It is incredible something much simpler isn't available. Something that maybe the people could all do the same roles. A tragedy, really.
Mobe, it's disappointing that you're choosing to take this approach of a sarcastic, know-it-all type of post. Please keep in mind that by the time you came around, this BEQ project was over a year old and already quite mature, as was BEQD, @DesertDog had already created the repo, etc. So it's easy for you to sit here now and say we should have done things a certain way, with the benefit of hindsight. But remember, this started with me using a modified biquad spreadsheet to manually create filter sets, drawing graphs with Bluebeam, and publishing them in posts. BEQD didn't exist yet, and it also took an iterative process to become what it is today, with a whole lot of sustained effort from @3ll3d00d and consistent feature requesting and bug reporting from me, etc. For a long time, there was no XML merge functionality, no repo, it took some time for this project to grow into what it is today, and by the time you came around, you had the benefit of all of the efforts that had been made up to that point in time, which had certainly simplified things. So while I appreciate your "suggestion" that we try to streamline things further, I just encourage you to possibly take a more productive and less offensive approach in doing so. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just flipping a switch when there's already a huge catalog in a different format. For the record, if someone (or a group of people splitting the burden) wants to go through the thread and save all the images with a logical file-naming approach to help us "convert" to a different, more easily maintained format, I think we'd all happily go that route. But it's a lot of work to do that, and otherwise, I'd rather just stick with the status quo than do all that by myself. While the current system is not perfect, it's served us all well, and in any case, I do think there's some real benefit to having them posted in the thread, as it encourages community involvement in here, which is what this project was built on from the start. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Meles needs Quadruple Stars for this post!

Guys, bookmark Meles' link and use it to find movie BEQs! It works perfectly!
100% agreed!!! I’m so grateful for his post to the cached google list and have been using it a LOT this week. SOOOO nice to have a list of links that work to get to all BEQs fast!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts

I've been using my bandaid and glad to have it for now though its days are numbered. Tried wayback machine with no luck. Just played Midway with optional peq setting to tame 30 hz bass and liked that. How does such a choice work with xml files?

My system just croaked last night, but I'm available as slave for any repetive tasks needed to get things back on their feet.

In the meantime my current interest is understanding BEQ designer and uses with two channel and multichannel music. My holy grail would be to eventually achieve bass restoration of vintage vinyl where cartridge tracking issues naturally required some bass rolloff back when the LPs were made. Ultimate is two channel all analog Lp playback, but with digitized bass. Quote in my Signature has me intrigued.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mobe, it's disappointing that you're choosing to take this approach of a sarcastic, know-it-all type of post. Please keep in mind that by the time you came around, this BEQ project was over a year old and already quite mature, as was BEQD, @DesertDog had already created the repo, etc. So it's easy for you to sit here now and say we should have done things a certain way, with the benefit of hindsight. But remember, this started with me using a modified biquad spreadsheet to manually create filter sets, drawing graphs with Bluebeam, and publishing them in posts. BEQD didn't exist yet, and it also took an iterative process to become what it is today, with a whole lot of sustained effort from @3ll3d00d and consistent feature requesting and bug reporting from me, etc. For a long time, there was no XML merge functionality, no repo, it took some time for this project to grow into what it is today, and by the time you came around, you had the benefit of all of the efforts that had been made up to that point in time, which had certainly simplified things. So while I appreciate your "suggestion" that we try to streamline things further, I just encourage you to possibly take a more productive and less offensive approach in doing so. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just flipping a switch when there's already a huge catalog in a different format. For the record, if someone (or a group of people splitting the burden) wants to go through the thread and save all the images with a logical file-naming approach to help us "convert" to a different, more easily maintained format, I think we'd all happily go that route. But it's a lot of work to do that, and otherwise, I'd rather just stick with the status quo than do all that by myself. While the current system is not perfect, it's served us all well, and in any case, I do think there's some real benefit to having them posted in the thread, as it encourages community involvement in here, which is what this project was built on from the start. Cheers!
Ugh. You are the bomb and we all know this. Lets not dine on the ashes and the best would be to have Pio back leading the charge.:cry: BEQ is indispensible and must come back stronger than ever.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I saved it as a complete webpage down to my computer. That will help retain the links until this website gets their ish together.
So does this mean the links in html saved page would work forever? Such a file could be hosted forever I know and then we place at start of OP. Ongoing new stuff added in a later replacement OP post that could be added at top of OP via a link to that post. Even if Pio remains crushed and curled in a ball:sick:, admins could edit OP. I really have no idea what I'm doing with this stuff when it comes to details. This could buy time and then maybe admins evevtually insert corrected OP when the powers that be have time to dothings even better.

My missing link post on page 749 of this thread. Happy to host html saved page in my dropbox if that helps.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Not trying to throw fuel on the fire here so I don’t want anyone getting butt hurt, but I’m perfectly happy with the way it is. Aside from the ****show that is this new forum change...but even that will get fixed at some point and all will be well again.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. ;)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

You make it sound like it's a huge complicated thing. There's really only 4 people involved and for day to day posting that could really be two since the post builder was added. It's a small team effort to provide something pretty great to a pretty big, and growing, audience. This whole endeavor is also only about to hit its 2 year anniversary of the start. BEQd didn't even have its first commit yet at this time 2 years ago. We've come a long way in a short time for the number of people that work on it. Largely due to Aron and d00d being studs with churning through things. More changes and improvements are coming too to make things better more streamlined.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Ugh. You are the bomb and we all know this. Lets not dine on the ashes and the best would be to have Pio back leading the charge.:cry: BEQ is indispensible and must come back stronger than ever.
Oh, don't worry, BEQ isn't going anywhere. We'll be fine. I was just responding to Mobe's specific post. It's all good.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Ok, I've made a wiki page at the repo that lists and links to all the movie posts. It's based on the google cache page that @meles posted so it's not completely up to date. If someone has the time could you find the first movie that hasn't been added to the list? I have no clue where Pio left off. Bonus points if you want to help me update it, DM if so.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ok, I've made a wiki page at the repo that lists and links to all the movie posts. It's based on the google cache page that @meles posted so it's not completely up to date. If someone has the time could you find the first movie that hasn't been added to the list? I have no clue where Pio left off. Bonus points if you want to help me update it, DM if so.

I said I'd help so I'm looking for the start of Pio's missing links.:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I 100% appreciate the BEQ efforts, I wanted to share something that I found. With the Webcache link posted earlier, I found that if I copied from the cached page and into the forum message box, the correct link is retained and works.

Here is an example, I copied the first three items from the cached page and pasted them in the message box I'm currently typing in:

1BR BD/DTS-HD MA 5.1 (June 2/2020)
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K/UHD/ATMOS (Jan.23/2018)
10 Minutes Gone BD/TrueHD 5.1 (Oct.29/2019)

So it seems like if the forum post was edited, it might be possible to copy/paste from the Google cached page and get the links back. I don't know the integrity of the Google cache or if there would be any data loss doing the copy/paste, but it seems possible to me based off of my testing.

Anyway, I wanted to offer the suggestion as it might be a way to quickly get the links back, if that was something the BEQ team was still pursuing. I'm seeing that DesertDog is already doing a copy/paste into a separate webpage, but it works with the forum too. Thanks to the BEQ team, I know you folks are doing this in your spare time and aren't getting paid for it.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I 100% appreciate the BEQ efforts, I wanted to share something that I found. With the Webcache link posted earlier, I found that if I copied from the cached page and into the forum message box, the correct link is retained and works.

Here is an example, I copied the first three items from the cached page and pasted them in the message box I'm currently typing in:

1BR BD/DTS-HD MA 5.1 (June 2/2020)
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K/UHD/ATMOS (Jan.23/2018)
10 Minutes Gone BD/TrueHD 5.1 (Oct.29/2019)

So it seems like if the forum post was edited, it might be possible to copy/paste from the Google cached page and get the links back. I don't know the integrity of the Google cache or if there would be any data loss doing the copy/paste, but it seems possible to me based off of my testing.

Anyway, I wanted to offer the suggestion as it might be a way to quickly get the links back, if that was something the BEQ team was still pursuing. I'm seeing that DesertDog is already doing a copy/paste into a separate webpage, but it works with the forum too. Thanks to the BEQ team, I know you folks are doing this in your spare time and aren't getting paid for it.
Yeah, I took them them and cleaned them up to proper links to the new forums. The devs put in a translator for the old absolute URLs to work with the new forums. I can easily convert the first page posts too but we need Pio back for that to happen. I've already offered to do it to him. I set up the wiki since we can maintain it without him for the time being in case he really is done with AVS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, I took them them and cleaned them up to proper links to the new forums. The devs put in a translator for the old absolute URLs to work with the new forums. I can easily convert the first page posts too but we need Pio back for that to happen. I've already offered to do it to him. I set up the wiki since we can maintain it without him for the time being in case he really is done with AVS.
Gotchya, I have done some web development before and also string parsing like you mentioned, so I agree that having the new URLs would provide more future proofing just in case the translation ever gets removed. I completely understand Pio's frustration. I'm new to BEQ, just a few months, and I was astounded how much data and information was out there.

15061 - 15080 of 15577 Posts