AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been in the high end audio world since 1993, and I have experienced some very odd bass issues since then. This issue has traveled with me to different houses, apartments and at least 5-6 completely different audio setups since 1993.

Basically what will happen is all of a sudden out of the blue while listening to anything bass frequencies will disappear from my stereo, any stereo system that I have owned since 1993, the sound will become shrill and very treble heavy and treble will come out of the lower end woofers on my speakers, almost like treble has taken over my front speakers. It's just like completely out of the blue

Ive been through several receivers of the Sony ES line and 5 years ago got into Lexicon separates, an MC-1 for the pre-pro and a lexicon 512 for the amp, I have TWO subwoofers now, custom cables, all high end power cables, I have a Furman power regulator that feeds to a panamax line conditioner, in the past I have had 20 amp dedicated circuits put in another house I was at with hospital grade outlets. And this problem still happens and usually is either permanent or stays around for months at a time. Sometimes out of the blue without me adjusting anything my audio system will go back to normal then months or a year later the bass will disappear again for no reason.

Like I mentioned I have fully replaced every single piece of audio equipment at least 5 times over and moved 3-4 times during this time but still this issue has followed me around.

Other people have been around when this issue happens and have commented on it so I know I'm not completely nuts. They have heard the same thing as me that all of a sudden the bass just goes away and is replaced by shrill treble and my system sounds cold and bright with almost now mid of lower end bass being produced.

Usually when I replace my equipment it buys me about 1 year of use and then blam out of the blue bass seems to get sucked out of my audio systems.

Has anyone ever heard of anything even remotely similar happening to anyone else? and any solution?

I'm about at my wits end thinking I'm simply never going to fully enjoy audio again. Lexicon MC-8 balanced version, the balanced outputs my provide some resistance to frequencies issues. I also may replace my paradigm front and center speakers with Gallo 3.1's and a Gallo center speaker. The Gall line of speakers have NO crossovers in them so that would eliminate cross over issues. I just can't bare though to end up spending another 5-8K only to worry about this happening again.

In the end all I want is a way to listen to wonderful music without the bass issue creeping it's way back up again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hello,

when i read your post i see mention of how many times you have replaced your equipment. I do not see your speakers mentioned except by name. If you have replaced these as well each time then l guess the audio gods have turned away from you.

If you have kept the same speakers, i would ask if you have lived in areas that suffer from bouts of short or lengthy seasons of extreme humidity. If so, perhaps the crossovers in your speakers are shorting in the most severe of these due to old wiring or bad choke coils. Has it happened to your subs as well?

I also wonder if when this happens , do you have a pair of cheaper speakers that you can hook up to see if they too have no bass...this would eliminate the equipment as the source.

Finally , when it happens do you take your speakers to a friends house to test them? or have you taken the receiver/amps also.

Good luck....

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea every piece of equipment including speakers, cables, connectors have been changed at least 5 times.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
If your speakers allow for bi-amping or bi-wiring (two sets of binding post)

Make sure the strap between them is clean and tight.

I had this problem with a Paradigm center channel. It was just loose binding post on the straps between them.

Check it out.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust /forum/post/12976578

If your speakers allow for bi-amping or bi-wiring (two sets of binding post)

Make sure the strap between them is clean and tight.

I had this problem with a Paradigm center channel. It was just loose binding post on the straps between them.

Check it out.

Thanx I will double check my center speaker, I also have a paradigm center. At this point any little tip will help. It would be bliss to have a system just work for more than couple of years without the thought that one day my bass would just drop out for no reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts