AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my system (7.1) calibrated to my liking through my Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver. I have added an LG BD390 Blu-Ray player and connected 7.1 analog inputs (no HDMI on receiver). My problem is my bass from the 7.1 analog inputs is 10db lower than the normal digital output, greatly reducing bass impact during movies. There does not seem to be any bass management in the player to compensate for this.

What I'm thinking of doing is re-calibrating by turning up the volume on the sub 10db (using an SPL meter) while using the analog inputs, and then re-calibrate the digital output through the receiver to compensate for the higher volume of the subwoofer.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Page 30 of the BD player's owner's manual explains how to set speaker levels and size (Large/Small). Selecting Small will set the BD player's internal crossover from the speakers to the sub. Speaker/Sub levels can than be set in the player.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me be more specific. I have already set the speakers to small in the 390. I'm guessing the 390 crossover is is different than the 80Hz that is set in my receiver.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
It seems that you are doing two BM settings. If you can do bass management in the receiver, you don't want to set anything in the player, and should select Large as the speaker size. If the receiver does not allow BM for the analog inputs, you then use the player's setup. Further, LFE is normally -10dB, and the receiver should compensate for that spec. If not, yes, you are going to need to set the sub as 10dB hot, and go from there.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawhn /forum/post/18133043

Let me be more specific. I have already set the speakers to small in the 390. I'm guessing the 390 crossover is is different than the 80Hz that is set in my receiver.

Very few AVRs will apply bass management to the analog multichannel inputs. I would be very surprised if the Yamaha did.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawhn /forum/post/18131574

What I'm thinking of doing is re-calibrating by turning up the volume on the sub 10db (using an SPL meter) while using the analog inputs, and then re-calibrate the digital output through the receiver to compensate for the higher volume of the subwoofer.

Any thoughts?

Yes, thats basically what I do. I modified my Lexicon DC1 for direct 8ch input but had the same problem. My bluray player (Poineer 05FD) did not have enough internal adjustment range so I just added an external preamp to the sub channel output of the BR player.

I could have gone the re-calibrate route but I have bi-amped LCR's with room EQ and I didn't want to go there. It's possible I would not have enough gain some place else to make up the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.