AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does bass management work? What I want to know is if there is a 40hz -6db signal on Front Left and LFE is playing a 40hz 0db signal, is the LFE channel going to be playing at +6db at 40hz? I'm thinking something like this never happens in real life...or the volume is normalized to 0db.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
There's a sticky thread in this Forum at the top you can read, and you can look at the Dolby (and THX) web site for more explanation about LFE and bass management. The bottom line is, for receivers made in the last 5 - 10 years, it is nothing to worry about. (I do have an older AVR that did not deal well with LFE and bass management was a little painful.)

Quick (and not terribly thorough) answer: the LFE channel is reduced by 10 dB "internally" before mixing to reduce dynamic range requirements (improving headroom on the disc), then boosted by 10 dB before going out the preamp/amp to your speakers to normalize it with the rest of the sounds. Bass management in your AVR provides the proper attenuation/boost required so movies (which may have an LFE channel) and music (which usually does not, and no stereo CD does) are reproduced properly.

HTH - Don

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador /forum/post/19599363

How does bass management work? What I want to know is if there is a 40hz -6db signal on Front Left and LFE is playing a 40hz 0db signal, is the LFE channel going to be playing at +6db at 40hz? I'm thinking something like this never happens in real life...or the volume is normalized to 0db.

The independent signals are summed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.