AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given todays evolving world of audio gear, where do you think manufacturers should provide a solution for analog Bass Management used for multi-channel music connected via the 5.1 inputs of a high quality pre/pro?

Include bass management in the Pre/pro?

Include bass management in the DVD player?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I'm not going to vote, because the best solution is to include digital BM in the native resolution of the format, whether in the pre/pro or player. :)

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I would like to see all processing done on the pre/pro.

So first, a standardized high bandwith multi-channel/hi-res digital interface, and bass management on the pre/pro.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Bass Management in the DVD player is restricted, fixed. But having it in there is good for those who may not have the pre/pro/multiple power amp scenario. I use a pre/pro and multiple amps and the LFE in the pre/pro for added flexibility.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Bass management should be accomplished in the device that has the better DACs. Bass management should be digital, hence before the DACs. My processor has excellent DACs, so that is why I voted for the processor.

Bill

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can appreciate everyones interest in doing BM in the digital domain, but given that there are not that many current solutions for transfer of MC music via the digital method (ilink), I am talking about the more common crop of DVD transports without a means of digital transmission for MC music.

Thanks for you input....

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
OK, then I'd vote for both. :) The reason being, is that then you can choose how you want to do it. For example, to do BM in the pre/pro means either that, a) you do it in the analog domain, which is fine, just that that also limits your choices for crossovers, slope, etc, and it might mess up time alignment, or, b) you convert to digtal then do BM, but that might/will affect sound quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.