AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get the best subwoofer performance possible out of my 10x17 HT for music and movies. My principal constraints for subwoofer choices are LOCATION (only one or two places to put a sub, both in the back corners of the room) and INTEGRATION (I need the subwoofer to integrate seamlessly for both movies and music, with the emphasis on music).

I'm 98% sure that I will be going with a SVS sub. But several questions remain, given the limited flexibility of most pre/pros to handle bass management:

1. What has the most versatility in terms of integrating the sub with the main speakers -- an active multi-channel crossover unit, like the Outlaw ICBM, or an equalizer, like the Symmetrix or ART sold by SVS? I realize that the equalizer works only on the bass channel and that the ICBM lets me set different x-over points for different speakers, but all five of my speakers are identical and are basically flat to 70 Hz. So far, I don't have DVD-Audio or SACD, but may in a future upgrade.

2. What advantages does outboard amplification have over a powered (PC series) sub? More headroom?

3. What is better for music, a CS Ultra or CS sub? Particularly in terms of speed, accuracy, integration, etc.

Thanks so much.

- Ken

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
In my opinion, the CS Ultra is head and shoulders above the original series, and it ought to be at roughly twice the price (or more relatively speaking).

Equalization and crossovers are complementary items. You use the crossover to get the best possibile integration between mains and sub, and the equalizer to tame the worst room problems.

I hope this helped.

Regards,

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I will second John's recommendation to go with the CS Ultra. I have not yet made it over to John's to hear his, but the driver alone is a significant improvement on the already great results which the standard CS series were being recognized for.

As for bass management, a flexible crossover point may be beneficial, it may not. I would suspect that using an 80Hz crossover with a CS Ultra and some sort of specific EQ should yield great results. Since you are limited to only a couple of locations, I would plan on working in and equalizer in the future. The idea is to try the locations you have as options, select the smoothest one, or more importantly, the one with the fewest nulls in response, as peaks can be pulled down to a degree with EQ, but you can't fill a null.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Mark,

Since we've put this off for so long, do you mind waiting a little longer ;) Seriously.

I'm waiting on a few items to finish the FP setup (correctly):

Component video cables with BNC Termination

Correct length VGA cable with BNC termination

Whisperflow hushbox

Ultimate outlet with ceiling mount option.

Once I get those installed, and some wire management things happening it won't look like a trip down to "wires 'r' us".

Oh, off the record do you know of someplace that gives really good deals on Extron gear? I'm looking for the IR-101 option for the 4 input switcher I bought off of E-Bay.

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.