AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just set up my first real sound system and I may need some help with configuration. I am using a Denon AVR-X1100W receiver, two Pioneer BS22 speakers, and a Pioneer 8MK2 sub. This speaker/sub setup came highly recommended and overall it hasn't disappointed.

The only area that could be improved in my mind, and I don't know the correct terminology for this, would be the mid to higher pitch bass. The sub hits the lower range bass really well but I notice when I am listening to music (I like electronic music with a lot of bass) it seems to lose a lot of power on higher range bass, if that makes sense. I ran the Audyssey setup on my receiver of course.

Is there anything I can change in my setup/config to help with the range of bass I am hearing? Or is this just a limitation of my system?

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I'd say your sub is a weak link (its fairly low on the sub totem pole so to speak) but the speakers are too, to an extent, for that frequency range (if I'm understanding what you mean....frequency range in numbers would be helpful).

You say you ran Audyssey so a better start might be to make sure you've optimized the setup. Is this just a 2.1 setup? What are the results of Audyssey? Speakers set to large or small? What's the crossover? What volume range do you like to listen at?

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Measurements around here are normally done with a software program like REW (available at Home Theater Shack) and a measurement mic (like the Umik-1 from miniDSP or the Dayton UMM-6). You could possibly use the mic that came with your avr but won't be as accurate but might give good enough information to help for now.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
There also could be a chance of nulls depending on your room size. Adding a 2nd sub (same model) would really help. There are too many factors to know what is your exact cause with the information your provided.

If you have a square room and the sub is placed in the corner, it seems most likely that a null is your issue.
If Audyssey set your speakers to large, that could be an issue.

The big thing to do is gather a list of possible causes and start diagnosing them. We can help you, but we need you to provide all the details you can about the room and Audyssey setting in your receiver.

This will help us narrow down a list of possible causes.

I will give you the specs of my room for a comparison:

Room size: 12x12x8 (L,W,H) bedroom set-up, closed off. Almost square,
Room is currently untreated,
Regular bedroom furniture

*for the sake of using 1 sub:
*not actual settings

I have my sub placed in the front right corner, behind my main speakers. My entertainment center is centered in the middle of the wall at the front of the room. The sub gain currently sits at 50% (5 out of 10) and the signal being sent to the sub (sub level via receiver) is -3.0 dB.

I have my crossovers for all my speakers at 80hz and the LFE (found in "Bass") is set to 80hz as well.

My bed is centered on the back wall, directly facing the entertainment center/center channel with each speaker to each side. The LP (listening position) is about 9ft away from laying down on the bed, to the center channel.

with the LP location, and sub location, I have a major null in the 40ish hz range, due to the size/shape of the room. Dual subs corrected this for me (actual placement is no longer in the corners).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that my speakers and sub are not high end but in my price range these seemed to be the most highly recommended. So like I said, if it's just a limitation of my system then so be it.

It is a 2.1 system. The speakers are set to small and the crossover is set at 60Hz. The sub is at 120Hz. The volume I typically like to listen to is in the 50-55 range.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I understand that my speakers and sub are not high end but in my price range these seemed to be the most highly recommended. So like I said, if it's just a limitation of my system then so be it.

It is a 2.1 system. The speakers are set to small and the crossover is set at 60Hz. The sub is at 120Hz. The volume I typically like to listen to is in the 50-55 range.
Might try a higher crossover like 80 too. The crossover is the exchange between the speakers and the sub. The sub LPF of LFE is a different animal, and should be left at 120. As bgtighe said, it may be partially the sub placement, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pioneer speakers were recommended on here but not the sub. I read other reviews online that spoke well of it and I figured since I was already getting the speakers the matching sub would be a good bet. Apparently you don't think that's the case. Is there another sub in the $100-150 price range you would recommend?

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
There is no "matching" of a sub by brand (except the aesthetics perhaps) I'd recommend saving up for a better sub rather than making somewhat a lateral move. If that's max budget I'd look at Dayton's Sub-1200 at parts-express.com.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I'll second the vote for a higher crossover. Try 80, 90 and 100hz and see if there is an improvement.

Also, move around the room with bass heavy music playing...does the bass sound much better anywhere in the room? If so, you are sitting in a null and need to move the sub around to try and fix it.

Alternately, you could do the sub crawl and find the optimum placement for your sub (then re-run Audyssey of course). ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts