AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys? I have a couple of bass concerns. I recently moved my living room around with the wife's blessing to a layout that is really acoustically awesome. Surround sound is really great now. Finally. After years of sub par layouts.

Anyway

Because of the layout, I'm now lacking in the bass department. My subwoofer, a Polk psw12, isn't great, and it's getting old. But as the picture shows I'm kind of in the center of the room. I've down the crawl, some basic measurements with my spl meter, and I can't find one spot that has even or ample response at my lp. What are my options here?

I am getting a new subwoofer for Christmas for myself. Max I can spend is about 240. Will using two subwoofers help even out response or just cause more issues because they arnt a match(I'm NOT getting another Polk sub).

Would a Bass trap help nulls, or just tame peaks?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also subwoofer suggestions would be awesome. As much output I can afford maybe power through some of these nulls and peaks.

Pay no attention to the speaker wire. I've been working alot and haven't gotten around to hiding it.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe52985 /forum/post/19578449

Would a Bass trap help nulls?

They could, but you need a bunch of big traps.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Do not expect good bass in any place in the room. Your target should be good bass when you sit on the sofa. You can try different locations for sub. Also receiver with Audyssey may help.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
For starters, bass intensity is much less at a center-of-room location than if you were sitting near a boundary. Don’t mistake that for sound quality; it just means you need more “woofage” to overcome the acoustical forces of nature.

Unfortunately, that ain’t going to happen with a Polk sub, or any other $240 sub. Two of them only means the bad bass is louder. At bare minimum you need something in the $500 range from SVS or HSU. In the mean time, put the sub in the corner to maximize its output.
Quote:
Pay no attention to the speaker wire. I've been working alot and haven't gotten around to hiding it.
Actually, the only thing that jumped at me was the blue-and-white trash can behind the couch. Or is that a bass trap?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/0

Do not expect good bass in any place in the room. Your target should be good bass when you sit on the sofa. You can try different locations for sub. Also receiver with Audyssey may help.

Yup. I'm only hoping for for good response in one spot on my couch, for playing cod or watching something alone. I've used audessy, unfortunately, the version I had doesn't eq bass frequencies. Also, as far as I know, you cat eq nulls.

Mostly what I'm dealing with is a suckout at around 30 hz, 60 hz and around 90hz.

Am I better of getting one larger sub? Or 2 smaller ones to get better response?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt /forum/post/0

For starters, bass intensity is much less at a center-of-room location than if you were sitting near a boundary. Don't mistake that for sound quality; it just means you need more "woofage" to overcome the acoustical forces of nature.

Unfortunately, that ain't going to happen with a Polk sub, or any other $240 sub. Two of them only means the bad bass is louder. At bare minimum you need something in the $500 range from SVS or HSU. In the mean time, put the sub in the corner to maximize its output.

Actually, the only thing that jumped at me was the blue-and-white trash can behind the couch. Or is that a bass trap?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lol. Thanks for the response. Actually it's my chihuahua's food. For a year. Hah. in the corner, its loud, but I get a weird, phasey, one eared sort of sound. I know bass frequencies are omni directional, but the distortion is not. At higher volume I know most of what I'm hearing are harmonics and not say, an actually 30 hz tone.

So I figure with multiples or anything, will lower distortion resonably. One in the corner and one front and center, or one in each corner.

I'm not going for deafening, just some decent sound quality and volume. I do live on the second floor.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe52985 /forum/post/19578449

Would a Bass trap help nulls, or just tame peaks?

Bass traps reduce peaks, raise nulls, and also reduce decay times at peak frequencies. So it's a win-win-win all around. Looking at the photos of your space, I'm sure you would benefit greatly from bass traps and also absorbers at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points. Much more here:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts