AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to add a delay box to my bass shaker setup. Can anyone give me any suggestions. My shakers are located in my futon and I feel them react before the main sub. Where can I buy an external hardware that will let me adjust the delay for the shakers separate from the sub. I'm splitting the sub-out from the receiver to the external amp and subwoofer.

thanks

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have never heard of something that will do what you want, but is it possible that the base shakers are getting more high freq's that the sub, and that bleed through is causing the shakes to start shaking before the sub starts pumping. I have my sub x-over set to about 80hz while my base shakers are set to around 40-50 hz. I also have a high pass filter on the line going to the shakers.

Also, maybe you need to move your subwoofer location.

Anyway, good luck. - Hal

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm not sure about the quality or frequency response but audio delay units (analog and digital) are pretty common in musical instrument (guitar) stores.

By the way, a friendly reminder, remove your equipment list from your sig. Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You're not likely to find a delay line in a hifi store, unless you manage to pick up a 2nd hand or demo processor that has delays for each of the channels (which makes for easy crossover and level control as well).

New delay lines ones would be found at places like Mars Music, Musician's Friend, etc. Brands would include Digitech, Lexicon etc. The boxes will likely have many effects in them, but buried somewhere in there will be straight delay. You'll likely need between 10-30ms worth.

Most of the newer ones have an RCA type input too.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
I also have a high pass filter on the line going to the shakers.
Hal,

Why are you implementing a highpass filter on your tactile transducers?

John

·
Registered
766 Posts
Quote:
Why are you implementing a highpass filter on your tactile transducers?
Sorry, brain cramp! LOW pass (not high). A 50 hz low pass filter.

Regards, - Hal

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I set the crossover to about 45 Hz, that helped a lot. The problem is that I have four bass shaker mounted to a reinforced futon and 250 watt amp...overkill. I have the volume setting on the amp at around 25% now. At first I had the amp set to 80 Hz and about 75% volume setting on the amp. On the Haunting when the first serious bass hit I about had a heart attack. I didn't think aura where capable of such intensity. I always read mixed reviews. I'm guessing all the reinforcing on the futon helped a lot.

I'm going to the local guitar shop to see what they have in terms of simple pedals with a delay function. But I think I might be able to tune it better after some more fiddling with the amp.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Don't confuse too much level (easily done on The Haunting!!!) with the need for delay.

I've found while you may not be cognizant of the discontinuity, by delaying the physical impact of the TT to coincide or come after the wave front from the sub, the effect is much more integrated and believable.

Note, you will likely have integration problems with a guitar pedal based delay. Go for a rack mount or half rack sized unit.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Buzz,

I have been wanting to experiment with adding signal delay to my TT arrangement for some time.

Would this be appropriate.

John

·
Registered
855 Posts
John - I've not used a delay for the LFE; but, looking at the specs for that particular one, the frequency response is 20Hz-20KHz. I would think this is too high at the low end for LFE. WOuldn't you want it to go down to 5-10Hz?

·
Registered
766 Posts
My Aura Base shakers peter out in the mid 20 hz range. By the time Avia finished its LFE sweep, they are not really perceptible any more. I am not sure what the quoted low range of these devices is, but it is probably lower than 20 even though I can feel it. - Hal

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John H
Buzz,

I have been wanting to experiment with adding signal delay to my TT arrangement for some time.

Would this be appropriate.

John
Yes, but (there's always a but, huh?) those appear to only have balanced I/O, which is great if you're running balanced, not so handy if you're not.

The thing to keep in mind is audio fidelity and S/N ratio don't really matter when the signal is going only to a TT, so any old ratty thing will do as long as the adjustment range is in the ballpark.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I ended picking up a DigiTech RDS2000 rack mount digital delay.

I checked the units low end frequency response in my shelf system. First I took SPL measurements of frequencies starting at 50Hz down to 10Hz in 5Hz increments.

Without disturbing the volume control on the preamp I inserted the RDS2000 unit and adjusted it's gain so the 50Hz tone matched in dB output as without the delay unit in line. I then confirmed all other frequencies below 50Hz and they also were the same as without the delay unit down to 10Hz.

If you are asking how did I do this comparison with a shelf system? My shelf system uses 15" drivers. :)

I then installed the unit before the amplifiers driving my HT tactile transducer arrangement. I use appoximately 13 ms of delay to compensate for my subwoofers 13' distance from the listening postion.

As Buzz stated earlier...

Quote:
...the effect is much more integrated and believable.
A very large improvement in tactile transducer/subwoofer harmony.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.