AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around and I want 2 bass shakers for my berkline 3 seat curved home theater seating.

Anyone try two Clark Synthesis TST209 wired to a buttkicker BKA-300 amp? I would like to find a single amp with a built in cross over that will power both CS transducers.

My other thought was the buttkicker LFEs, but I would need 2 amps or the larger BFE1000 amp.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmatt78 /forum/post/21384457

I have been looking around and I want 2 bass shakers for my berkline 3 seat curved home theater seating.

Anyone try two Clark Synthesis TST209 wired to a buttkicker BKA-300 amp? I would like to find a single amp with a built in cross over that will power both CS transducers.

My other thought was the buttkicker LFEs, but I would need 2 amps or the larger BFE1000 amp.

Thoughts?

You would have to get both Clarks wired into 4ohms somehow before it hit the amp to get the best effect. Wiring them series or parallel would put them at 2ohm or 8ohm. There probably is a way to do it with resistors and other things, but I don't know how.

I've been looking for a low priced amp to do the same thing. I haven't been able to find a good quality 2 channel 100w x2 RMS at 4 ohm amp with adjustable low pass filter for under $200.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bka300 is 2 ohm stable but at only 150W (kinda odd I thought). CS said they still work well at 75W.

I was also thinking of putting them in series @ 8 ohm, but this will also only give me 75W per transducer, correct?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmatt78 /forum/post/21384930

The bka300 is 2 ohm stable but at only 150W (kinda odd I thought). CS said they still work well at 75W.

I was also thinking of putting them in series @ 8 ohm, but this will also only give me 75W per transducer, correct?

Yes, and I don't know how the amp will react at 8 ohm. 75W for the Clark wouldn't be ideal. It should be getting at least 100w.

My 1 Clark Silver arrives today, and it is going to be run off my 100w dayton plate amp. In the future I want to be able to run at least 2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
post up how that works out. Did you purchase at parts-express? I was also wondering the difference between the clark silver and the TST209?

Let me know if you think 1 clark would be enough to shake a 3 seat home theater seating config.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I'm running 2 Platinum transducers for a 4-seat couch.

The couch is split into 2 pieces, so 1 transducer per half of the couch.

I used 3/4" oak plywood, cut to the form factor of the couch, so it connected the frame on all 4 sides.

The "vibe" is the same in all 4 seats, even though the transducers are mounted off-center.

For my amp, I'm using 1 channel of a Samson 600. I might downgrade to a Samson 300.

I'm getting some ground loop effects with my Samson 600. I'm going to try to put in a ground loop isolator.

I've heard of some people using mixers to provide more than just the LFE channel to the transducers. Has anyone here had much luck with that?

The Samson 300/600 were recommended to me by tech support at Clark Synthesis (excellent tech support, by the way) What other amps have people had luck with?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i advise you to stay away from clark synthesis tst209 tactile transducer. The aura bass shakers are the best bass shakers. I have purchased the buttkicker, the clark, and aura pros. Who would have the thought the cheaper bass shaker would be the best one. The aura pros are the strongest and quietest.

last month i bought a pair of aura pro ast-2b-4 bass shakers ($80 for a pair) and a clark synthesis tst209 tactile transducer ($80 for one) from amazon.

i also have the bka300 amp that came with the buttkicker wireless home theater package i purchased in 2008. The buttkicker gives a good kick but it is very noisy. A week after I bought the buttkicker it had a noisy metal on metal sound coming from the shaker. Turning it upside down decreased the noise. But 3 years later, changing the position of the buttkicker would not solve the noise problem. I was forced to find an alternative.

The first to arrive were the pair of aura pro bass shakers. I connected them to the bka300 amp and I was surprised at how quiet they were. Reviews say they will not get low enough but they do. I played a 20 hz mp3 and the aura pros vibrated as strong as the buttkicker.

I was happy with the aura pros but i was now excited to try out the clark tst209 because the specs say their force peak is 216 lbs per feet. The aura pros force peak is only 30 lbs per feet.

The problem with the aura pros is that my bka300 amp does not filter out the high frequencies well. sometimes you will hear dialogue coming from the bass shakers which is annoying. To correct this I would have to lower the volume of the bka300 amp which will mean less vibrations.

To eliminate the high frequencies a 50 hz low pass filter rca adapter from partsexpress.com is the solution. for $25 you get a pair and you can connect them together and connect both to the input of the bka300 amp.

The clark synthesis tst209 finally arrived. i connected it to the bka300 amp and was very disappointed. While playing the 20hz mp3 file, the clarks were very noisy...similiar to my buttkicker. The vibrations from the clark were very weak. The 216 lbs per feet felt more like 21.6 lbs per feet. And when I increase the volume on the bka300 amp I could hear the metal on metal sound...not as loud but still audible and annoying.

I placed the clarks back in the shipping box for return to parts express. And now have the best bass shakers. The aura pros are the strongest of all the 3 shakers I have tried. And most importantly the most quiet if the three.

Please donot make the mistake of ordering the clark synthesis tst209 from amazon through parts express because if you return it for refund, you pay for the return shipping and the refund will take long to process.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mactavish /forum/post/0

i advise you to stay away from clark synthesis tst209 tactile transducer. The aura bass shakers are the best bass shakers. I have purchased the buttkicker, the clark, and aura pros. Who would have the thought the cheaper bass shaker would be the best one. The aura pros are the strongest and quietest.

last month i bought a pair of aura pro ast-2b-4 bass shakers ($80 for a pair) and a clark synthesis tst209 tactile transducer ($80 for one) from amazon.

i also have the bka300 amp that came with the buttkicker wireless home theater package i purchased in 2008. The buttkicker gives a good kick but it is very noisy. A week after I bought the buttkicker it had a noisy metal on metal sound coming from the shaker. Turning it upside down decreased the noise. But 3 years later, changing the position of the buttkicker would not solve the noise problem. I was forced to find an alternative.

The first to arrive were the pair of aura pro bass shakers. I connected them to the bka300 amp and I was surprised at how quiet they were. Reviews say they will not get low enough but they do. I played a 20 hz mp3 and the aura pros vibrated as strong as the buttkicker.

I was happy with the aura pros but i was now excited to try out the clark tst209 because the specs say their force peak is 216 lbs per feet. The aura pros force peak is only 30 lbs per feet.

The problem with the aura pros is that my bka300 amp does not filter out the high frequencies well. sometimes you will hear dialogue coming from the bass shakers which is annoying. To correct this I would have to lower the volume of the bka300 amp which will mean less vibrations.

To eliminate the high frequencies a 50 hz low pass filter rca adapter from partsexpress.com is the solution. for $25 you get a pair and you can connect them together and connect both to the input of the bka300 amp.

The clark synthesis tst209 finally arrived. i connected it to the bka300 amp and was very disappointed. While playing the 20hz mp3 file, the clarks were very noisy...similiar to my buttkicker. The vibrations from the clark were very weak. The 216 lbs per feet felt more like 21.6 lbs per feet. And when I increase the volume on the bka300 amp I could hear the metal on metal sound...not as loud but still audible and annoying.

I placed the clarks back in the shipping box for return to parts express. And now have the best bass shakers. The aura pros are the strongest of all the 3 shakers I have tried. And most importantly the most quiet if the three.

Please donot make the mistake of ordering the clark synthesis tst209 from amazon through parts express because if you return it for refund, you pay for the return shipping and the refund will take long to process.

Ive been trying to decide on those two. Thanks for the write up. Will be using an old htib with a high pass rca to power mine for now

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'lll have to defer to John Mac for the direct comparison between the clark t209 vs. the aura pros. I have two of the clark 209's attached to the cross member of a 3 person sofa, and it works quite nice in my set up. I am running them off the Dayton APA-150, which works out well because you can run each shaker off of its own channel (no fancy wiring scheme needed) and it has a built in low pass filter, so no need for an fmod. It may come down to how much shake you are looking for. I was looking more for a subtle compliment to my sub (Epik Empire) in a large open room, and this set up does just that. I have the low pass filter set to 50hz, so the shakers blend well with the sub and give plenty of tactile feedback (even with the volume of the dayton set to 50%). I recently watched the movie Driver with my brother in law the other day. In the gunshot scene outside the pawn shop he literally jumped off the couch. The sub hits you in the chest for the mid bass and the shakers hit you in the rear end for the low notes. The combination of the two effects really submerse you into the scene.

Anyways, that is just my experience. If you can get the same or better effect out of the aura pros, I would go for it. Parts express has a good return policy (although you do have to pay your own shipping back).

Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
maybe the clark synthesis i received is a defective unit. But the way it was sounding...the clicking metal sound, similiar to the buttkicker bass shaker i have made me decide to return it.

This is just my experience with the clark synthesis tst209 and the bka300 amp that the OP also owns. just thought I would share to the OP my experience since we both have the same amplifier.

Maybe the Clark tst209 sounds better with the dayton amp but I don't want to spend more money on another amp since I already have the bka300 amp.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I want to add 1 Clark TST209 transducer to each of my chairs. Which amp will power the 3 transducers?

Cheaper the better.

Will this 2 Channel Dayton amp work?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-812Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/ReplyQuote Multi 0 Add your
I second this question. What amp would work best with the Clark TST209?

P.S. Also, I appreciate the input about the Aura Pro. I wanted to know if it could hit 20Hz and looks like it can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts