AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ave 4 bass shakers 2 in recliners 2 in love seat Ive had them installed for awhile but not that impressed. After reading many posts I see that you can hook them up to an old reciever,but out of all the posts Ive rread I still dont understand.

Currently I have it split from my MC-1 sub out to a unused channel in a 200 watt rotel amp and speaker wires going from the amp to the shakers.

Could somebody explain in a simple 1-2-3 process to help me with this so I can use my old reciever to hookup the bass shakers so I can control the volume of the shakers.

Thanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
Here's what I did to power 10 aura shakers off an old Sony STR- 1015 pro-logic receiver which is rated at 120 watts r.m.s. x2 in stereo:

Use a Y-adaptor to split subwoofer out signal on my Dolby Digital receiver, one lead goes to my sub amp and the other one goes to my shaker amp.

Since my shakers are powered by an old receiver which it's amps can't be bridged, I needed to use another Y-adaptor at the old receiver so I can run stereo cables into it so both left and right

channels can be used. If you don't need to use both channels

then you don't need the extra Y. I used the cd in on the old receiver, any audio input will work.

Then it was just a matter of running speaker wire out of the old receiver to the shakers.

You need to make sure if your running several shakers off a receiver that you wire the shakers so the impedence is not too l

low. Aura units have 4ohm impedence each, and SOME receivers don't like to see such a low impedence load, especially when used to drive low frequency stuff, usually each channel in a receiver likes 8ohm loads. You will need to wire multiple shakers in series or parallel or sometime both depending on how many your hooking up to each channel of the receiver to get an 8ohm load which is usually ideal.

Good Luck,

Ken

·
Registered
841 Posts
Another option if you would still like to drive your TT'with your current amplifier.

Install a Paradigm X-30 in line.

You can control the volume as well as adjust the crossover frequency. This will allow you to fine tune the tactile sensation to your preference.

John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried spliting connection to sub and cd input in old reciever ran speaker wire from shakers to old reciever nothing happened

·
Registered
511 Posts
I found that feeding the LFE output from my AV receiver into the CD input on my ~60 watt Sony receiver, which drives 2 sets of 2 Auras (i.e., 4 total) wired in sequence (to get 8 ohms at left & right speaker outputs) didn't work.

Going into the Phono input of the Sony does work.

I've asked about this a bunch of times, but I'm not sure if this is normal or if there is something wrong.

Anyone?

Regards

BB80301

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.