Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I will have my pro shakers next week. I'm trying 2 of them to see if i like them before i commit to half a dozen.....before i go nuts! Where is the best place to put these as far as placement on the frame of the loveseat(besides directly under my wife...doh! now my post will be removed :) why buy her jewellery for christmas when you can get her a buttkicker doh! I've done it again.

Enough of that........is it better to place them on the bottom frame for example .....or higher on the frame behind the back cushions........any ideas?

Wayne

I've done alot of reading on the forum about these but no posts on where they should be on the couch.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I attached mine to the bottom frame of a fold out bed/couch. The entire couch (back included) vibrates.

·
Registered
271 Posts
hehe although this doesnt specifically answer your question i had to reinforce my love seat. After quite a bit of use I started to hear noises. When sudden jolts of bass (like someone falling to the floor) would hit Id hear the wood creak :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have 2 (not the pro units) in a love seat. I first mounted them on a 1X6 board. I turned the love seat upside down, ripped out that piece of cloth and mounted the board in a horizontal position to the love seat along the rear. The magnets are hanging down with the love seat in it's proper position. This tends to shake me in the back, very little in the butt. Of course the love seat has some pretty hefty cushions I sit on.

Edit: Oh yeah, the part of the frame I attached the 1X6 to is at the same level as the S shaped springs are that support your butt.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if there is a way you can build a frame and attach it to the loveseat that will vibrate the whole thing evenly, maybe even just attaching the shakers to 1/4"

thin particle board that would act like a woofer moving mass.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I screwed two 1x6s to the bottom of my couch. This option worked great and it seams to shake the couch evenly. I'm running two aura bass shakers, non pro. I also put rubber washers between the shaker and the board so they won't rattle especially if they loosen over time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Im planning on an experiment for my couch. Tell me what you guys would think. Im purchasing two additional aura units. I want to use all of them I would had (total 4) as the four feet of the couch. I would remove the feet and have these attached instead. To me the effect would seem to be a very "tight" mounting to the couch. It would be the combined clamping force of the screws plus the weight holding it together. I know some vibration will be absorbed by the floor. Is this a decent idea?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually sound like a cool idea let me know in a month if they lasted the weight before i commit to doing that,better your money than mine :), But i think it would most likely give an even vibration through the couch

cheers and good luck

make sure you use the Pro shakers!!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Quote:
Im planning on an experiment for my couch. Tell me what you guys would think. Im purchasing two additional aura units. I want to use all of them I would had (total 4) as the four feet of the couch.
I would be very surprised if this worked effectively. IMHO, it would put too much weight on the shakers to allow them to vibrate effectively. Also, I found that they Aura's are the most effective if you have some at the bottom part of the couch and some at the top part. I pretty much had them all at the base of my couch, and the preformance improve greatly when I used some wood to build little platforms for then at the back area as well. The couch vibrates a lot more now. BTW, my couch has a bed it it, so that probably does not help the shakin.

Regards. - Hal

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use 4 Aura bass shakers with an excellent results. My setup consists of 1 bass shaker in a recliner, 1 in a loveseat, and 2 in a sofa. The shakers in the recliner and loveseat are wired in series and are powered from one Aura amp. The 2 sofa shakers are wired the same way to another Aura amp.

The underside of the furniture mainly consists of metal and springs so there weren't a lot of options for suitable mounting locations. I suggest mounting them wherever there is enough wood for support. The vibrations propagate throughout the entire pieces of furniture. It's a great effect for very little financial and time investment.

Mac

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just installed 2 pros on my rocking recliner love seat. There was a metal plate directly under each seat and I mounted them directly to it.

Hooked them up first to a mini stereo with out crossovers just to try them out before I could go get my old Kenwood amp to use for them. Shook pretty good but definitely will need crossovers.

I got the Kenwood amp 150 Watts per channel and added speaker line crossovers @ 80 Hz. Wow, like to blew me out of the chair! However, they were still picking up to much bass guitar and low voice range stuff. So, I went to radio shack and purchased a car pre amp line level crossover. I set it to roll off at 45 Hz and that helped clear up a lot of the unwanted stuff.

These shakers are really amazing at how much vibration they will put out as well as add so much to the movie experience.

A good showing for them is the LEM shake scene (disk 2) on the "From the Earth to the Moon" DVD.

Wow!

·
Registered
271 Posts
My original experiment did not yeild very good results. But i know have a new idea. What if I was to do the same thing, a base shaker as each foot but isolate these from the floor? You know those vibration isolators you can buy? Im thinking of mounting these to the bottom of the shaker.

My point to this is in pretty much every couch the frame is designed to basically focus on the points where feet are installed. If the couch directs all of its weight to these points It seems to me using these points to mount the shakers would provide the best vibration in both quality and quantity. Adding additional mount places inside the couch always puts you at the mercy of what you bolt/screw/clamp them to. You have to deal with how the vibration gets transfered to the rest of the couch and then to you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You keep experimenting Ciper and report back,i remember when i painted my homemade screen i would take a bit of info from everyone to find the best mix, that is what this forum is all about.

If i connect the shakers to the LFE or subwoofer out of my reciever then connect it to my mammoth of a technics amp(20 years old but capable of knocking windows out!!!!) will i still need a crossover? I would think it would only send the very low stuff like explosions and etc......

Wayne

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wayne,

Usually subwoofer outs start rolling off at 250 Hz. I would myself find this to be way to high of a roll off allowing to much muddy sound to the Bass Shakers. I would prefer mine to start rolling off around 20 HZ, just to pick up the kick of explosions etc..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mark II

The crossover you bought, is it battery powered or 12v,how did you install it, I went to radioshack.com and they have an electronic subwoofer crossover for $30US is that the one?

Wayne

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi ya folks,

I bought months ago the aura kit from apexjr and two pairs of shakers from partsexpress.

Installed two on the sofa and one each on two loveseats. They work great. For the sofa, I mounted the shakers on the crossbeam between the front and back wood panels. For the loveseats, I had to install a 2x4 between the front and back panels.

Info on Aura installs here including the Kuo mod .

Thanks,

Errol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wayne,

Yes the best I can tell from the fuzzy image that is the one. They have a few others (in the catalog / some stores) and one which even has a wired remote for changing the roll off.

Since these were originally designed for automotive you will need a 12V adapter to power it with 110 AC.

All you do to install it is put it in your RCA line coming from your output signal before it is input to your bass shaker amp. You can put it on the speaker line side but it is much preferable to stay on the preamp (RCA) side so the amplifier doesn't have to produce the full range of sound which is now unwanted.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mark II, That sound really good! Did you connect it from your sub out in mono connect it to an adapter to split it to 2 mono, then feed it to your amp?

Wayne

p.s I hope the radio shacks here have the crossovers,most of the time they are clueless.

·
Registered
323 Posts
No I did not have a sub out. I used the headphone out as to have master volume control and to combine all surround sound channels. I did combine the stereo signal to mono.

The radio shack store I went to didn't know what a crossover was either so, I just looked for myself in the catalog and then ask them to see (via computer) if they stock it.

They are trained to run over you when you come in the door but haven't a clue how to help you.

One of the many reasons their sales are so bad.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.