AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the bass shakers but setting them up is totally driving me crazy.

I finally went out and bought a better AMP but still having a problem. This new AMP displays "overloaded" and then switches off. So I don't think the problem is impedence any longer.

I think the problem is the input from my Denon 5800. Here is the setup.

Denon 5800

Pioneer 600 watt receiver

4 bass shakers.

I split the sub out from my Denon 5800 and put one into my Paradigm servo 1500 and the other I split again and put in the Pioneer AMP as inputs. One left and the other right.

I am guessing something must be wrong with the signal coming from the Denon and going into the AMP. I am coming out the sub pre-out of the Denon.

Thanks for any help,

-Jym-

·
Registered
283 Posts
If it's a problem on the input side, then when you disconnect the inputs to the Pioneer receiver it shouldn't overload anymore. If it still says overload then try disconnecting all of your bass shakers and see if that will cause it to go away. You could have a damaged bass shaker or bad wire shorting the system out.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does stops overloading when I disconnect from the input. But it also does not work. I have to amplify the signal.

-Jym-

·
Registered
457 Posts
Does the overload happen even if there is no signal? In other words, if you hook everything up, but have no sound playing, does it overload immediately?

What about connecting the Denon sub pre-out directly to the Pioneer inputs, without the paradigm?

It sounds like you've already gone the impedance route, but I'll ask anyway. Are the Bass shakers connected in series or parallel? If they are all in parallel, you're down to 1 ohm impedance. Most any AMP is will overload at 1 ohm, but it may not detect any problem until it actually tries driving a signal.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Are you guys hooking the LFE output to the Phono input or some other input? I've got a set up pretty much like jhill32, but I can't get it to work unless I use the phono input.

Any opinions on how many watts it would take to drive four Aura bass shakers? I have them wired in pairs (per instructions) so that each pair is at 8 ohms.

On rare occasion, I get an Overload message on the Sony receiver (approx. 60 watts/channel) that I use to drive the bass shakers.

Thanks for any ideas

BB80301

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Hey guys, if you have questions regarding the impedance going to your amps, try using this link and then use the "Speaker Wiring; Impedance Calculator" at the bottom of the page to figure it out.
Load Calculator

bb80301, the Aura's that I have take a max of 40 watts each. I have them hooked up with three in series, then the two circuits in parallel, going to one channel, so that each will get 1/6th the power that the amp can dish out in 6 ohms. Yours are seeing 30 watts each if your amp is rated for 60 watts @ 8 ohms per channel, assuming that you are driving the pairs individually.

Jym, what shakers are you using? How much power can they handle?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Scott:

Thanks for the reply. Any comments re: using phono vs. other inputs on the receiver driving the bass shakers?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I had to use the phono input because the sensitivity of the input was much higher. But, I may be able to use any of the inputs now, since I had a problem with my coax that I ran for the sub signal. I had a staple that went through the sheilding and hit the center core, creating a short, but in the meantime, it actually worked. I guess the staple had to get warm enough to actually cause the problem and actually short across.

Anyway, I had to have the volume level almost all the way up. After correcting the problem, with new coax, I had to turn it way down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.