AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to having a loft installation, I decided to go for 4 bass shakers under the 3 seat platform, and no sub. (Didn't want to rattle any tiles from the roof).

My main front speakers have 15" woofers, so the bass sound is OK, but overall, the effect isn't the same as my lounge set-up with Paradigm PDR10 sub.

The bass shakers seem to work a little too much in higher frequencies - I'm using a Denon 3802 with the crossover set at 80hz. The speakers go down to 40hz, so I've set up the speakers as large, and I'm using the LFE out as well.

The LFE out goes into a splitter, then into a 60w/c stereo amp. This is what powers the 4 bass shakers.

My PDR10 has an adjustment so it only works at the lower frquencies, and seems right - only giving the 'slam' when necessary.

The bass shakers seem to start working too soon, then build up to the 'slam'. Sometimes it's almost like sitting in a massage chair!!

Do I need to get an external crossover so that I can cut down on the unwanted vibrations?

As an aside: bass shakers make surprisingly good speakers! I tested them first by playing Star Trek Generations CD straight into the stereo amp which was connected directly to the shakers. I thought I'd left some speakers connected somewhere because I could here everything quite clearly!

I had to increase the spacing of the shakers from the frame, because when the energy ribbon hit, they started to physically hit the underside of the frame!!

Unless I can sort this out, I might just add an extension to the seat frame, and sit a sub on that.

TIA

Gary.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"Do I need to get an external crossover so that I can cut down on the unwanted vibrations? "

No, you are already using the one in the Denon.

What you probably need is some sort of volume control for the shakers. It sounds like they are turned up to high relative to the rest of your system.

Shawn

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shawn,

I know what you're saying, but I calibrated them using a sound meter, and then turned them down a little to reduce the effect I was getting.

My Paradigm PDR10 gives more shake in my other set-up in the lounge (with a Sherwood amp, no bass management), but without also operating at what appears to be higher frequencies. It seems more accurate.

The Denon is set to 80hz, so that is what the shakers operate below, but my PDR10 is set to about 65hz. Do you think that might be the difference?

Cheers.

Gary.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Gary,

"The Denon is set to 80hz, so that is what the shakers operate below, but my PDR10 is set to about 65hz. Do you think that might be the difference? "

It might be, it would also depend upon the slope of the crossovers.

When I had a dozen bass shakers in my old setup I totally calibrated them by feel alone. A meter didn't help me at all. I also had it setup so they were active only on movies and turned off automatically if I was listening to music.

Shawn

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sfogg

I think I may need an external crossover.

If I set them up so they give a good 'slam' effect, like my PDR10, they also react to other frequencies.

If I turn them down so they only operate when they should, they don't give much 'slam'.

If I had more shakers, that might give added thump due to greater mass, but I that seems like an unnecessary expense.

Other than a crossover to filter out the unwanted higher frequencies, I don't know what else to do.

Cheers.

Gary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.