AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
"bass shakers" or "tactile transducers" are a device that is mounted inside of furniture or under the floor and they transmit bass vibrations directly to whatever they are attached to.

They allow the "listener" to feel the bass energy without have to turn up the volume to ear damaging levels.

There are three companies that make these devices. Aura makes a 25 and a 50 watt model. They are inexpensive, but not very powerful. Clark ( www.clarksynthesis.com ) makes some 135 watt units of various strengths. Their Platinum model can really hammer. Buttkicker ( www.thebuttkicker.com ) makes a seriously high power unit, but it's too big to fit inside of most furniture and requires a couple thousand watts to drive it.

Do some web searches for "tactile transducer", "bass shaker", and see the two web sites listed above.

I have a Clark Platinum unit and it's great for Action and SciFi movies. More than enough power for a couch. It runs off the subwoofer output from my reciever with it's own power amp.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the info ..... They sound pretty cool..

Is this a really audible thing or is it more of a "feel it" kind of device.

Sounds good ill be doing some research on it.

Anyone else use these ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey King,

All feel, no sound. (Well, to be correct, they *are* a speaker, so a tiny amount of sound is emitted.)

A lot of folks use these (including myself), and when set at the correct level, they are utterly FANTASTIC. Guests will think you've got a monster subwoofer. Just wait til you watch Jurassic Park...

You should amplify them separately, so that they don't turn your couch into "magic fingers" when its just the news you are watching - but hey, I didn't at first... i just wired them in series! But they got a little distracting.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Guests will think you've got a monster subwoofer. Just wait til you watch Jurassic Park...
I do have a monster subwoofer (Paradigm Servo-15), but I still like the Clark Platinum. And it is fun to have guests that don't know about it. I thought Jurassic Park III was a bit disappointing in the tactile sense, whenever one of the dinosaurs was onscreen there was a continuous rumbling/shaking. Godzilla was better, you distinctly felt each footstep as Godzilla was walking. Terminator II, True Lies, and Fight Club are excellent demo movies for these shakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.