AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched a movie for the first time with sound in my HT room (just setting up gear to test it out, going to gut the floor, make riser, etc.

Even using an old, cheap sub, the floor shakes a lot, feels like theres rumblers in the seats! Even though the volume wasn't up that high, and you couldn't really hear a lot of bass, the chairs were shaking!

Is there anything I can do about this? My media room is on the second floor, so its not a concrete base floor or anything. Hopefully there is something I can do, because when I get a real subwoofer in there, its really going to shake the place! Is there something I can put the subwoofer on that will eliminate some of this? Anything else I can do?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/0

Watched a movie for the first time with sound in my HT room (just setting up gear to test it out, going to gut the floor, make riser, etc.

Even using an old, cheap sub, the floor shakes a lot, feels like theres rumblers in the seats! Even though the volume wasn't up that high, and you couldn't really hear a lot of bass, the chairs were shaking!

Is there anything I can do about this? My media room is on the second floor, so its not a concrete base floor or anything. Hopefully there is something I can do, because when I get a real subwoofer in there, its really going to shake the place! Is there something I can put the subwoofer on that will eliminate some of this? Anything else I can do?

Does your sub have floor spikes installed? If not parts express sells them cheap. They will help de-couple your sub from the floor.

Even still you shouldn't get as much movement as you're describing. Does your floor move when you walk across it? I'm wondering if the joists may either be too small or spaced too wide. Not much you could do about that but pull up the floor and fix the problem. My upstairs has 2x12s on 1' centers which is overkill, but it would take an elephant bouncing to get the floors to move like you're describing.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/20876853

Does your sub have floor spikes installed? If not parts express sells them cheap. They will help de-couple your sub from the floor.

Spikes will only help connect the sub better to the floor. Roshy may prefer to de-couple it, like with a cushion of foam, carpet/pad, or a SubDude. Try something from around the house first.

I agree with W00ly. Feeling the bass is good thing. People pay good money to make that happen with bass shakers. You have it for free.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thansk guys. I did look at that subdude, looks promising if I'll need it. I don't have my home theater setup yet, my father arrives in a week and a half to start it with me (doing minor upgrades, hopefully we get it done in 2 weeks). I just had my old "crappy" 800 dollar HTIB audio system hooked up. I think I had the sub placed too close to the wall. I moved it out a couple more inches and now the effect went away. I'll have to keep this in mind for when I get my Epik Empire... might want the room to shake as long as I don't have anything resonating

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.