AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nevermind, i just found the problem, i think...my bass speakers in my front are both broken...so i guess new floor front speakers are needed.

I recently upgraded my avr to a Yamaha rx-377 from a Sony str whatever old unit thing. The bass sounds coming thru the front speakers are crackly and crumbly. Speakers are 5.1, and I'm playing bluray s with 7.1 master encoding, but my 377 displays PCM but has five speakers showing on display. Can someone help me understand what might be wrong?

A year ago, everything was clear on tne old Sony str avr, but then I started buying new bluray s and the audio started to change. Not sure if this was related,but I thought the avr was going out, and since it was old, I thought replacing would fix the issue. But the Yamaha has the same issue.

I've tried different bluray players, from Sony bluray to ps3, and both do the same thing, crumbly bass in the front speakers.

Cables are hdmi on new unit. I used optic on old str with a switcher when it worked a year ago, then when the crumbling started, stayed with optic cuz that was my only option...str has no hdmi.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Nevermind, i just found the problem, i think...my bass speakers in my front are both broken...so i guess new floor front speakers are needed.

I recently upgraded my avr to a Yamaha rx-377 from a Sony str whatever old unit thing. The bass sounds coming thru the front speakers are crackly and crumbly. Speakers are 5.1, and I'm playing bluray s with 7.1 master encoding, but my 377 displays PCM but has five speakers showing on display. Can someone help me understand what might be wrong?

A year ago, everything was clear on tne old Sony str avr, but then I started buying new bluray s and the audio started to change. Not sure if this was related,but I thought the avr was going out, and since it was old, I thought replacing would fix the issue. But the Yamaha has the same issue.

I've tried different bluray players, from Sony bluray to ps3, and both do the same thing, crumbly bass in the front speakers.

Cables are hdmi on new unit. I used optic on old str with a switcher when it worked a year ago, then when the crumbling started, stayed with optic cuz that was my only option...str has no hdmi.
What kind of speakers (make and model)?

Older speakers with foam at the edge can go bad, just from age, sunlight and as we found when I worked for a stereo store, cigarette smoke. The foam edge can be replaced in many cases.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had a pair of speakers with bad coils. They were rubbing so bad you couldn't enjoy the music. Replaced the speakers and I was back in business. I also had another pair of speakers with bad surrounds. Replaced the surround and those were doing well again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts